Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 159

Author Topic: Arms Race, OOC [Completed] Now with Arms Race III, against another forum!  (Read 220549 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, OOC Thread is back again!
« Reply #1635 on: August 26, 2015, 12:10:40 pm »

uh, I'll need to check. I seem to remember them being useful.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: August 26, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »

C'mon people, less salt, more lead and steel.

The word you are looking for is 'whining'.

Anyway, that's enough whining for today, I'll get out of here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: August 26, 2015, 12:12:01 pm »

Come on, you had people complaining that we shouldn't be able to use our mortars in the mountains due to avalanche. It is in the nature of this game to complain.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: August 26, 2015, 12:18:08 pm »

I've also had another tactic of Arstotzka pointed out to me. Arstotzka would shove a load of new tech into a design (turbos and fuel injection being examples) and thus get several new techs to apply to things in a single design phase. Moskurg would go for designs with one breakthrough tech in, if that.

I'm not upset that Arstotzka was able to do this, but I am upset that it was never mentioned/noticed that Moskurg could.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: August 26, 2015, 12:26:34 pm »

uh? it was established early on that you could add more things to your designs, at the price of more likely failure.
See our tank. it was a big pile of innovation. And we paid for that, since we had to spend a revision to make it  useable at all, and a second to make it common.
making a design with less parts, or less innovative parts, means it is more likely to work as intended. Less possible points of failure.
making a design with more parts or more innovative ones means more likely to fail, because of more possible points of failure, but good reward if you get it to work.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: August 26, 2015, 12:28:40 pm »

Whereas you guys were able to get away with those complex innovations without very much cost, unlike Moskurg.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: August 26, 2015, 12:30:39 pm »

we got lucky. The SMG was an incredibly lucky serie of rolls. for each innovation a die was rolled and miraculously none of the rolls failed. Had it happened otherwise, we would have had a nice pile of junk.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: August 26, 2015, 12:31:36 pm »

we got lucky. The SMG was an incredibly lucky serie of rolls. for each innovation a die was rolled and miraculously none of the rolls failed. Had it happened otherwise, we would have had a nice pile of junk.
The tank is certainly too lucky. As for the SMG. Or the RPG.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: August 26, 2015, 12:43:30 pm »

we didn't shove a lot of new tech in the RPG. In fact , I don't believe we had any new tech from it. rocket came from mortars, payload came from grenades. Feel free to have issues with a RPG existing at this time, but I was replying to Kashyyk discussing our strategy of shoving a lot of new tech in each design. We did that, but the RPG isn't an example. SMG and tank however are examples of that.

as for the tank? that is where we paid the price for this strategy. We shoved a lot of tech in, then our rolls weren't stellar and so we ended up unable to actually field any. it took us 3 turns ( 1 design, 2 revisions) to actually achieve what we originally wanted to do.

the submachinegun was so lucky that Sensei himself was surprised. To quote, "I was a little surprised: Multiple sixes were rolled. You kinda skipped the "kludgy gun that jams all the time" phase."
it is not a matter of our design being treated unfairly kindly.
It is a matter of us having some rotten luck with dice. many rolls were made on that SMG, in which a single failure could have invalidated the design. And we got several 6 in a row. Big gamble, which succeeded.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: August 26, 2015, 01:16:18 pm »

Expensive, plus one for optics.
I see. The wording is a bit ambiguous. I interpreted it as having bomb sights as a standard part of the design, not an expensive retrofit.
That would reduce the price of about three-quarters of Moskurg's items, along with free radios and optics on all tanks and artillery, if it was true.

Not quite. See, the interpretation I was referring too is that the Scope is a different thing all together than the bomb sight.  Different name and functioning, after all. But it is unclear; I agree.

Then again, the GM first made the mistake of describing our bomber as very expensive, and those results were kept, so it didn't matter, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:23:28 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:19 pm »

Honestly, I think that the reason moskurg is doing as badly as it is, besides not throwing everything they could think of on a design in hope that most of it turned out OK, is that you guys did not capitalize on your bonuses soon enough. I mean, extra oil for getting your CQC loving troops Into close combat faster would have been a massive issuefor us, as would have you guys getting aircraft slightly sooner.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: August 26, 2015, 01:31:40 pm »

Honestly, I think that the reason moskurg is doing as badly as it is, besides not throwing everything they could think of on a design in hope that most of it turned out OK, is that you guys did not capitalize on your bonuses soon enough. I mean, extra oil for getting your CQC loving troops Into close combat faster would have been a massive issuefor us, as would have you guys getting aircraft slightly sooner.

When did we ever get extra oil?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: August 26, 2015, 01:33:29 pm »

Moskurg started with 2 oil 1 & ore, whilst Arstotzka had 2 ore & 1 oil.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: August 26, 2015, 02:41:37 pm »

I think main Moskurg problem is  ignoring resource shortage while designing stuff. When you have less ore then your opponent your way is wooden aircrafts, light tanks\open tank destroyers and so on.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: August 26, 2015, 02:53:52 pm »

Those are inherently worse than an equally cheap (for Arstotzka) full metal vehicle however. So we are immediately at a disadvantage.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 159