Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Needs, and satisfying them  (Read 11651 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Needs, and satisfying them
« on: December 04, 2015, 03:20:48 pm »

Title. Basically, how do you satisfy certain needs? Some I'd like answered: Help someone, Eat a good meal, and Be with friends/family. I've also been able to satisfy Take it easy but I don't know how. Feel free to ask you own questions.

Now I'm going camping this weekend, see you all Sunday afternoon.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Needs, and satisfying them
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 04:04:14 pm »

I think we're all still trying to figure it out, apparently the cause trouble need is satisfied by brawling or arguments.

I don't think "be with friends/family" or "make romance" can be satisfied yet though atleast in adventure mode.

Myself what I'm wondering...what happens when you let the needs drop completely?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 04:34:29 pm »

The 'Cause trouble' need can be satisfied by brawling, but not arguing. Though I usually do both at once. Also, I think the 'Take it easy' need can be satisfied either by waiting a lot or by telling stories. I don't know which.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 04:40:04 pm »

My test character is currently quite satisfied with existance;

Which apparently yields me a "Focused" status effect (it didn't appear until I did a bunch of fighting/poetry), whatever that does.
Not satisfying your needs will likely result in deterioration of your prowess due to being a mental wreck.
I have to admit that so far it sounds like a pretty good system, except the part where cravings you can't satisfy are actively in the game and not commented out.

As a complete side note, this character has also gone full anime:

And very high stats are really powerful when it comes to poetry:

(That's with novice in poet, the poem style and dabbling in wordsmith.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:50:45 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 01:51:51 pm »

First adventure mode masterwork.

To "pray" just "talk" to your deity.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 03:17:30 pm »

And get yourself some booze too.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 03:55:57 pm »

Good I also know that conposing poems/songs and such satisfies think abstractly though that might be arguing.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 06:48:12 pm »

Arguing can satisfy the abstract, argue, and cause trouble needs.
Random chitchat satisfies the socialize, and I think the stay occupied needs.
Non-lethal brawling works for fighting, lethal ones work for martial prowess.
Doing all sorts of stuff satisfies the skill one.
Eating a fine meal in adventurer mode is a huge pain in the ass without a fort around, drop the intemperate need as far as you can, it's nice that booze satisfies it but it shouldn't even be there for races that don't eat or drink, really.
I am very amused that I can ask my god what they think of me or tell them I wrote a poem and it satisfies my prayer need, easy enough so it's worth going for faithful/ardent worship besides flavor now.
Romance and friendship are screwed right now in adventurer mode, drop those needs as far as you can. Same with family unless you are playing a dynasty of adventurers or something which might need dfhack to update first anyways.
Acquiring objects is hard to keep up with because you stop caring about stuff once you put it on, so I guess you just gotta keep getting new ones, and I don't think shit you make counts for it.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:59:32 pm »

I have to admit that so far it sounds like a pretty good system, except the part where cravings you can't satisfy are actively in the game and not commented out.

I think that you can actually choose what cravings your adventurer has, both during character creation and after the fact. I was messing around with adventure mode this afternoon (I don't want to start a fort until a few more bugs are squished.) My character's initial set of values placed no importance on family, and "be with family" did not show up on the needs list. I then started an argument with an Herbalist about the importance of family, and acquiesced when he disagreed, which changed my character's values to really liking family. When that happened "be with family" showed up on my needs list.

I have not tried to remove things from my needs list, but I would infer that it should be possible, (thought that's no guarantee, of course. More testing is required.) For needs like romance and family, you can just make your character not care about them in character creation, or failing that, find someone who hates those things and let him convince you to hate them too.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:18 pm »

Min-maxing is possible:

Only has the ardent religion and learning as needs, I talk to my god and overhear conversations/read a book and I'm Focused! for a while.