Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Showing Mercy  (Read 14252 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Showing Mercy
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 05:23:11 pm »

In agreement with escondida and ZMS.

If there is an encounter over valuables or king/queen of the hill, narratively, it's just better to give whoever quick death, whether or not they've earned it. Though you could argue, death is for other warriors, life lessons are for criminals. Neither interacts with mercy.

Addict7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 09:30:24 am »

I usually blind or mute my enemies instead of killing them, when possible.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 08:09:40 pm »

I get "soandso is really dead, this is great!" sometimes, I get "it's for the best" sometimes, I've overheard people talking about me rescuing kids and reuniting families before.

I have also left hundreds of elves alive and earless/toothless/noseless/tongueless/blind. >.>

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 01:52:45 am »

I get "soandso is really dead, this is great!" sometimes, I get "it's for the best" sometimes, I've overheard people talking about me rescuing kids and reuniting families before.

I have also left hundreds of elves alive and earless/toothless/noseless/tongueless/blind. >.>
I've only seen "this is great!" when killing people sometimes.

Doing that to elves though is completely deserved.

In agreement with escondida and ZMS.

If there is an encounter over valuables or king/queen of the hill, narratively, it's just better to give whoever quick death, whether or not they've earned it. Though you could argue, death is for other warriors, life lessons are for criminals. Neither interacts with mercy.

Depends on the criminal in question, to be honest. For more redeemable ones I'd say a quick stab through the stomach that leaves them alive would be enough to dissuade them from ever doing it again. For ones who aren't, even cutting their hand off wouldn't help, so death would be more preferable so atleast they don't plague society. Not merciful, but more practical for the society in question - if the practicality of doing something outweighs the benefits of showing mercy, then obviously you go with the practical solution.

On a different note, the problem with mercy is that in a world like DF's where you can be killed randomly by a Blood God-possessed adventurer, even a slight disability can be your death. I've been decapitated outright by merchants with knives, obviously if their hands were missing from some previous encounter that wouldn't be possible. Worse so if goblin or bandit raids come - obviously for that you'd need every able bodied person to take up arms.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 04:17:28 am »

kinda wonder to everyone you leave alive do you guys want to follow them to see what their story unravels?
like now thinking on it wonder if sparing a guy you beaten up but only to implant them with rumors would have an effect on their AI.
also recruiting bandit companions are funny in the whole they start mugging folks. hmm I should figure out what triggers the mug folks AI in units so I can bandit it up.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 04:25:57 am »

Ah, having a horde of allies mugging people? Hmmm, not sure.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 11:53:47 am »

I treat mercy like a secret vault full of gold. I only show it to a very select few, and only to people I intend to comically murder afterwards.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

cdru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 02:02:10 am »

Showing mercy should always dissuade someone from crime if adventurer leaves them with no limbs and no teeth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 05:48:37 am »

Ever since i started playing this game I would slay anyone who opposed me or die trying. I never showed mercy on anyone, until recently.
I've been thinking. If you cripple a person and then kill them, their gone, their just another part of your huge kill-list. But if you permanently scar them, then you have a story. You have a person, that you can later meet again someday, maybe by a different adventurer.
Scaring people and forcing them to yield (or yielding yourself) just seems more satisfying from that perspective.
Only reason I'd show mercy to someone is if I hopelessly outclassed them, at which point it wouldn't be much of a fight either way. Usually that means I just make their death swift via lung puncture or decapitation, but occasionally I might just do something for fun like steal their weapons and then all of their clothes before running away cackling like a fiend. They leave quite embarrassed but unharmed; hopefully to quit their erroneously evil ways.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 07:02:04 am »

oh yeah wonder if anyone beaten up then got a person to follow them then told them to wait in a cave.
and repeat until you can't store anymore units without having them laydown?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 07:06:56 am »

Bandits came up and surrounded me, they were just talking until their boss showed up, then they started throwing punches.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I caught the first two punches and snapped their wrists, those two passed out, the rest instantly yielded to me.

While still holding their buddies broken wrists I figured I'd turn the tables and told them to drop their weapons.

It worked, smart move, would have been smarter to not attack the tall dude packed with muscles who just stood there casually while you surrounded him, but hey.

I then kicked two of them in the ass (lower body) and removed the teeth/eyes/ears/nose/tongue of the leader before sending him on his way with another kick.

They ran.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 03:51:36 pm »

The mechanical issue is, when getting NPCs to yield or injuring them to remove fight capacity, nothing is learned/changes. The unit is still there on the map as an encounter. The histories have a record, but the record is meaningless. The only way I've found to "avoid" it is to walk far away before switching to fast travel. Otherwise there's a recurring encounter with the same injured NPC who is on the same important mission. Apparently this mission is you.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »

I really hope so, because thing like that

Urist McHero : hear that tale of bravery, of honor and compassion, hear about how the world changed with the action of a single dwarf, hear how the demonic beasts that were preying on our families are now only memories, hear about how a hero annihilated the bandit overlords that were making your lives a hell, hear the story of the legendary warrior that fought for all of us !

Urist McNPC1 : it was inevitable.
Urist McNPC2 : it was inevitable.
Urist McNPC3 : it is terrifying.
Urist McNPC4 : is that a weapon ?
Urist McNPC5 : it was inevitable.
Urist McNPC6 : murderer ! *spit on you*

Were really killing the adventure fun very fast.

chances are it's not going to be fixed outside of toady changing "It was inevitable" to something that written pleasant to the players who seek fame and glory but still means the same "we don't have any historical data to emote over this news."
like first thing is they(Civ Filler Npc person) don't have families and the creation of the site itself to fill out numbers. one could say their Clones.
the bandit lords don't seem to murder folks just steal cash from them, and also these people are kinda spawn out of the ether so they don't have any unit memory of any attack that was push up to personal joy in that characters death.
then there's the factions which I guess are tied to crimes which I guess don't have a global crime list of evil mofos that everyone should remember outside of RAW made ones where it's in the peasant nature to be afraid due to "being a dangerous beast" which if you calm one down as a say minotaur the game autochecks to see hmm peasant seeing a minotaur who's an dangerous beast, run Panic.

Will the citizens hate you if you kill criminals in the next version?
well that depend on there's a new code that makes bragging be "you should CARE about my FEATS OF GOOD PEASANT" though I think toadyone was pushing for more the game reacting to weird adventure mode Grinding and actions like jokingly giving you a chicken to wrestle if you did that to become legendary in wrestling or something.

on the subject of mercy yeah I tend to lightly beat up guys or try to talk them down. I don't really see the need to kill everything and some playthroughs I'm pacifist. that said breaking the legs of a person then leaving them often just means they get to regenerate enough to become a prone badass that will murder anyone that attacks them and their best bet to fixing their limbs is getting nibbled on from a were_person or spouced by a night troll.

I thought it was stored by site, and they were given apppropriate knowledge of past aggression against their site when they were spawned?
I believe that is how he (Toady) said it was done?

Even if tehy say "it was inevitable" you still seem to get proper "fame" from it they just don't acknowledge it appropriately in conversation until AFTER you spread the news.
AT least that is MY experiance.

The fame is there, they just dont reply appropriately, after killing a bandit, and getting "it was inevitable", I was able to get more buddies, and they said, (the next time I came around to talk) that I am a great hero and they are rhappy to see me (or something along those lines)
Hopefully he gets to it in the next bug-fixing phase.
But it seems like a "confirmation" issue, rather then a "real" issue . (it isnt apparent to the player that they have the fame)

Yes, I have still been called a murderer for killing bandits though, which I hope gets fixed.

But the next version has taverns, the ability to rent rooms in taverns in adventure mode, festivals REMEMBER THE FESTIVELS, they can celebrate after you kill things. The ability to PLAY as a bard, or whatever you wish etc. It should feel more reactive.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 04:29:41 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 07:50:38 pm »

Yeah, I do hope that after I perform a song I'll get more than "it was inevitable" from the audience :P
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2015, 03:13:51 pm »

I immediately stop the attack and travel away if I end up gelding someone. It's the opposite of mercy.

Bandits came up and surrounded me, they were just talking until their boss showed up, then they started throwing punches.
*snip*

That was awesome! It's what I've always wanted to do, but apparently you need a specific situation (they try to rob you first, you attack them unarmed) for it to not devolve into a flat-out massacre. I'll have to try making a brawler character for that next time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4