Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: (ISG) Goofy Rougelike IV: Ghoul Tinkerer  (Read 10408 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
(ISG) Goofy Rougelike IV: Ghoul Tinkerer
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:00:12 pm »

What the hell is this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What are the rules?

Aaaaaand without further ado, the intro to the game!

---

You are a Ghoul, an undead humanoid with razor sharp claws and an insatiable appetite for living flesh. As the necromancer who raised you was quite skilled, you are far more intelligent than the average ghoul, and have devoted your unlife to the study of mechanics and magical artifice.

For the past 75 years you have run The Rusty Nail, a shop that sells, repairs, and appraises items that are enchanted or mechanical in nature. Your home and business is located in the Rot District, which is the undead ghetto located within the Goblin Capital of Warhymn. The Goblin Despot, a necromancer himself, has always been more than happy to tolerate your people, abliet as second class citizens.

All this has changed, however, since the Despot went missing. His replacement has been slowly stripping the undead of their rights since he came to power six months ago, and just yesterday issued his most frightening proclamation yet: All Undead within city walls are to be banished, and their property forfeited to the government. His reasoning is that he fears that the undead population may side with the increasingly hostile Demonic Forces growing to the south of goblin lands, but most locals know he just wants to bulldoze the Rot District for expensive new development projects within city walls.

This is rather bad news, as you have not left the city in over two decades. You have no place to go, and no contacts on the outside. Still, seeing as you cannot stay, it seems as though some sort of grand adventure to find revenge and/or a new home is in order.

You Begin Making your Preparations:

First off, you fill out the official form stating that you intend to comply with the banishment order, and that you surrender all your worldly belongings to the government. Of course, You intend to subvert that second bit. With what name do you sign the document?

Next you gather your savings, and bribe one of the local guards to let you leave with your shotgun, armor, a few grenades, some provisions, and one of the cooler items from your personal collection.

Which one of your toys do you want to keep, Zombie Scum:

With your belongings attended to as best you can, now all you can do is wait. The guard you bribed isn't on duty until this evening, so you have a day to kill.[/b]

You got some free time, what now?:

Evening is upon you, and it is time to leave your home forever. You have some vauge ideas of where you can go. The lands of the fey lie to the north, and although the fair folk don't particularly like the undead, they hate the goblins even more, and your craft makes you valuable to a race of tricksters such as them. To the south the Demonic Forces are building strength; Perhaps you are vindictive enough to validate the fears of goblinkind and enlist. To the west the war between the elves and the dwarves is heating up once again, and both sides are looking to hire mercenaries. To the east you could travel to The Black Marshes, home to many ancient tribes of sentient undead, some of which are more tolerant of outsiders than others...

None of the roads leading to any of the above places are of the peaceful and easy type.

Choose your first Dungeon, and try not to die there!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) Goofy Rougelike IV: Ghoul Tinkerer
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:12:38 pm »

With what name do you sign the document? Rot McMortis

Which one of your toys do you want to keep, Zombie Scum: The Revolver Bonebow
-The Revolver Bonebow holds more rounds than our boomstick, makes its own ammo, and trades maximum damage for dependability at longer ranges

We spend the afternoon with our fellow soon-to-be-displaced undead, looking for a traveling companion.

The Great Cliffway (Southbound Dungeon)
As for the second part, well.. we already failed "not dying" once, so there's that, we suppose.

But right, let's fuck those gobs over. Just how they seemingly want us to!

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:18:56 pm »

-The Revolver Bonebow holds more rounds than our boomstick, makes its own ammo, and trades maximum damage for dependability at longer ranges

We spend the afternoon with our fellow soon-to-be-displaced undead, looking for a traveling companion.

As for the second part, well.. we already failed "not dying" once, so there's that, we suppose.

Plus 1 here
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:18:19 pm »

Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 05:20:28 pm »

Name: (someone else can choose a name)
Equipment: Eldritch Engine and Process-o-matic
Spend Time: Begging
Head: North or West
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 06:04:58 pm »

West and same name as escaped lurkers thing. +1

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 07:06:35 pm »

Dammit, I gen up Lurkers suggestion, only to find we are all tied up.

Somebody care to break this?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 07:51:39 pm »

+1 to Lurker's!

This is back! Yes!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:14:43 pm »

West and same name as escaped lurkers thing. +1
+1
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 08:21:28 pm »

+1 to Lurker's suggestion.

Nunzillor

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 08:28:30 pm »

+1

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 10:35:04 pm »

Hey Rotface. Have a face.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 01:26:41 am »

Chapter 1: The Descent

Turn 1

"Ladies and gentlemen, players and pawns, my name is weirdsound and I will be your GM for this wonderful adventure. I trust you will all find this experience enjoyable... or at least survivable. Our brave hero Rot McMortis has answered the call to adventure which I have shoved down his throat! Lets see how he is doing..."

"Not bad actually, in spite of your best efforts. I've got my Revolver Bow for blasting things at a distance, my trusty boomstick for blowing things up close away, my ghoulish claws for gouging out eyes, and a nice stockpile of explosives for the things that need dealing with fast. I even have a handsome, if rather simplistic, face! Thanks IronyOwl."

+2 Chemistry between Rot and IronyOwl

"He also has a buddy to watch his back and make sure his nerdy ass remains unliving throughout the adventure!"

Ah, it seems that Rot has found Ralphina Hunter, the infected human who runs the butchers shop across the street from his store. She often buys weapons, ammo, and grenades from him, and he sometimes picks up living victims from her.

Ralphina is a skilled and well armed huntress, who can enter a state of frenzy against living opponents... Said frenzy can be a hindrance however if you plan for subtle action, retreat, nuance, or mortal allies. I would also warn that although she brought grenades, she is far less skilled with them than Rot... luckily most of her supply is more focused on utility than raw damage, so mistakes may not be too tragic.

"If you are finished insulting my friend's combat ability, can we begin? I'd like to get out of this city before the torches and pitchforks start coming out."

"Very well... since you are traveling with the huntress, I think I can assume that you intend to fight the animals on the cliffs, no? Want to join up with the demons and get some revenge, eh?"

*Click*

"So be it. The party of two leaves town through the south entrance. Trouble is encountered right away, as you are accosted by a group of our esteemed players... no wait... that is a herd of asses. My bad."

"Whoooboy. Fresh game right out of the gate! The smaller ones might be tough to hurt without a grenade or my elephant gun, but may not be much of a threat otherwise. That Diaburro is quite dangerous in its own right, but will buff the others if we kill it first. I wouldn't let them put me between themselves and the ledge either, their kicks can put somebody our size airborn..."

"...Right. I think I got all that."

"I was talking to the players, not you, silly. I wouldn't waste time explaining tactics to you, ya wouldn't get it. The entire time I've known you I've never seen you fight anything other than targets at the test range, and those don't take strategy to beat. Just do as the players and I say, and we wont let these asses hand it to you, okay?"

"*Moans* ...Fair enough."

Party Information and Bestiary:

Battlemap:

Town/Dungeon Map:

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 02:16:52 am »

Hum. How about we shoot down those 3 hard-asses first, and then get you two a nice little pony gigantic horse, for your luggage?

While we don't... really spare it's "life", we at least spare its exsistence, so we arguably do a deed which is not bad for the animal. Considering the unwarranted aggression on its part. Also, creating an additional undead, is certainly good for us, and undead-dom as a whole!

Ralph: Twice per dungeon, Ralphina may hack up enough infected gunk to cover three tiles. These tiles must be adjacent to one another, and at least one must be adjacent to Ralphina. Each round, living creatures standing in infected gunk have a 50% chance of gaining the 'Infected' debuff.

Question to our Huntress;
Just to make sure, I presume that this "Debuff", will turn them, right?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 03:20:22 am »

Just to make sure, I presume that this "Debuff", will turn them, right?

It *can* turn them. If we go about it right or get lucky. Adrenaline usually staves the actual conversion off in battle, so combining infection with some way to induce calm or sleep is the best way to go about it. Otherwise, when one of the sides is down to a single combatant, and the battle is starting to wind down, infected lifeforms have a chance of turning every round.

I might also add that a not-yet-turned victim of my infection is subject to the same frenzy I am. We'd need an expendable mortal to set the frenzy off for that to be a valid plan in the long run, but I have some frenzy grenades to sew chaos in the meantime if need be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8