Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventure mode is too silly.  (Read 9885 times)

codemastergh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure mode is too silly.
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:42:23 pm »

Currently I find adventure mode to be a little bit broken. I roll a fresh character and I talk to a dude and get directions to a bandit camp so I go there and find that the bandits are not in any way hostile and I talk to them about the weather..... So I decide to start sneaking and stab the boss in the leg with my spear. He runs away like a little girl saying " I must withdraw" he runs past his band of followers while they totally ignore me as I continue to chase and slaughter him. In the older adventure mode it was way more enjoyable to go to the camp and have the boss announce himself " I am Tymon Tiliver , leader of the disguised tables , killer of Urist Mcdopepants whom I buried under my wrath ! " and him and his follower dudes jumped on your straight away. They now just don't seem to notice or care about you. When I do kill them all and go to tell someone about their death and then ask them about myself they call me a killer and I'm unhinged for killing a supposedly "ruthless" bandit group. What happened also to the quests to go kill night creatures all I ever seem to get when I ask for a " beast " quest is to go kill some dragon or hydra or roc. which as everyone know are 10 times harder then the regular troll wives and such that used to be in "lairs" which I have yet to find. Also the little asterik groups on the world map are just weird and make no sense. I stop by them and go up to them and they engage only my companions but then run away almost instantly and then after I catch up to them on the world map they are friendly for some reason. The "criminals" quest is also very confusing. I went to a town where they were said to "cause great fear" and saw no signs of anything and upon asking some towns people on the rumor of this group they only say " thats terrifying" that really doesn't help me find them or nothing. so after going all around I decide to go into the keep and ask a local ruler about it and I get the same " thats terrifying" response which offers no help at all. So after searching litterally everywhere I decide to go into the dungeon of the keep and all I find is a dead body and 3 kobold swordmasters which I try talking to but after they didn't say anything dispatched easily because yet again they were not at all hostile and only 1 of them actually took 1 swing at me before running away. I slaughtered 1 at a time and the other kobolds did nothing to help their dying brothers just sat and stood there until it was their turn to die. I assumed this could of been the so called " criminal organization" but hey there isn't a quest complete or nothing so who knows. could of been some random kobolds in a random keep dungeon for all the game tells me. The only person to have actually fought me in my adventure was a random "boss" in said town who I ran into as a world map asterik guy. I got hit in the shoulder by an arrow and the so called "boss" just run away after that getting pelted down by my crossbowman sidekick. Was this the crime boss I was hunting for ? I don't even know. I don't even want to go into detail about the weird companion interactions with people. such as when they attack some people on sight or not. so to wrap it all up I believe that these bandits and such should actually be hostile. Also leaders should once again announce their presence and say " hey im the leader of this group and were going to kill you now ". Make it so I don't get hate from people for killing so called bandits and change it so I can get actual helpful advice from people  in these " fearful" towns about where these so called organizations are held up. One thing I do have to praise however is getting a quest to stop local thugs from bullying the little hamlet. It was actually easy to locate this group as I walked outside and right away I saw a group of goblins actually surrounding this farmer and telling him to drop the knife he was holding before the leader took it for himself. As the other villagers actually gave an appropriate " its terrifying" when they are watching this dude get mugged. I actually was suprised and died to the goblins as they actually were hostile towards me when I started attacking their group. But I felt like it was a legitimate and my first hard earned death from a legitimate quest.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:46:17 pm by codemastergh »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode is too silly.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:47:54 pm »

Text formatting, please. I would like to comment on what you actually said but can't get past the first few sentences.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:12:08 pm »

Currently I find adventure mode to be a little bit broken.
That is the understatement of the year.

Although, I suppose "broken" really isn't the best term; "unfinished" is more correct. Eventually bandits will be properly hostile again, but right now they aren't as self-aware as they ought to be. The last update did a lot to make people's behavior less arbitrary - sieges and beast attacks actually need to set out and cross the map to reach your fortress, whereas before they were simply generated. People now need motivation to initiate an attack, for the most part, and apparently "being a bandit" was not included in these motivations.
Peoples reactions to you similarly need work: being a "killer" isn't actually a bad thing, it just means you are recognized as someone who has killed, someone capable of violence. And if the townsfolk want to call you unhinged, just let them; it doesn't affect their behavior towards you.
Asking for beast-related trouble will eventually get you some animals, night creatures, and vampires, but you basically have to go through the entire list of megabeasts and titans before they'll tell you about any local troubles. I much preferred the old system, gamey though it was, where no one asked you to kill a megabeast until you had the requisite fame to speak to the lord.

If you want fighting, best place to go is probably a goblin pits or fortress, since goblins will attack you on sight (mostly). And there's lots of them.

On the other hand, we did get non-human sites and new combat mechanics now, both of which are rad. I look forward to the next update, where it seems we'll have more to do in Adv. Mode than just killing everything - that should ease a lot of these hostility issues.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

codemastergh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:29 am »

Text formatting, please. I would like to comment on what you actually said but can't get past the first few sentences.

Sorry man I made this late at night and I really do not have any plans to go and change it now at this point.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:53:59 am »

clearly the answer is it's not Sillier.
The idea of goblins being super hostile might come from the fact their faction is lead by a Demon who can't really be overthrown in a insurrection due to being stupidly strong and housed in a tower filled with over a thousand troops. combine that with bandits do murderless crimes on top of it's really hard to tell a bandit from a patrolling army.
though I wonder if all this hoohaw is from Toady fixing the issue of playing a goblin adventurer and being unable to retire in a goblin site due to them automatically being against you even if you just happen to step out of the place for a second.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:25:43 pm »

Please, allow me:

Currently I find adventure mode to be a little bit broken. I roll a fresh character and I talk to a dude and get directions to a bandit camp so I go there and find that the bandits are not in any way hostile and I talk to them about the weather..... So I decide to start sneaking and stab the boss in the leg with my spear. He runs away like a little girl saying " I must withdraw" he runs past his band of followers while they totally ignore me as I continue to chase and slaughter him.

In the older adventure mode it was way more enjoyable to go to the camp and have the boss announce himself " I am Tymon Tiliver , leader of the disguised tables , killer of Urist Mcdopepants whom I buried under my wrath ! " and him and his follower dudes jumped on your straight away. They now just don't seem to notice or care about you. When I do kill them all and go to tell someone about their death and then ask them about myself they call me a killer and I'm unhinged for killing a supposedly "ruthless" bandit group.

What happened also to the quests to go kill night creatures all I ever seem to get when I ask for a " beast " quest is to go kill some dragon or hydra or roc. which as everyone know are 10 times harder then the regular troll wives and such that used to be in "lairs" which I have yet to find.

Also the little asterik groups on the world map are just weird and make no sense. I stop by them and go up to them and they engage only my companions but then run away almost instantly and then after I catch up to them on the world map they are friendly for some reason.

The "criminals" quest is also very confusing. I went to a town where they were said to "cause great fear" and saw no signs of anything and upon asking some towns people on the rumor of this group they only say " thats terrifying" that really doesn't help me find them or nothing. so after going all around I decide to go into the keep and ask a local ruler about it and I get the same " thats terrifying" response which offers no help at all.

So after searching litterally everywhere I decide to go into the dungeon of the keep and all I find is a dead body and 3 kobold swordmasters which I try talking to but after they didn't say anything dispatched easily because yet again they were not at all hostile and only 1 of them actually took 1 swing at me before running away. I slaughtered 1 at a time and the other kobolds did nothing to help their dying brothers just sat and stood there until it was their turn to die. I assumed this could of been the so called " criminal organization" but hey there isn't a quest complete or nothing so who knows. could of been some random kobolds in a random keep dungeon for all the game tells me.

The only person to have actually fought me in my adventure was a random "boss" in said town who I ran into as a world map asterik guy. I got hit in the shoulder by an arrow and the so called "boss" just run away after that getting pelted down by my crossbowman sidekick. Was this the crime boss I was hunting for ? I don't even know.

I don't even want to go into detail about the weird companion interactions with people. such as when they attack some people on sight or not. so to wrap it all up I believe that these bandits and such should actually be hostile. Also leaders should once again announce their presence and say " hey im the leader of this group and were going to kill you now ". Make it so I don't get hate from people for killing so called bandits and change it so I can get actual helpful advice from people  in these " fearful" towns about where these so called organizations are held up.

One thing I do have to praise however is getting a quest to stop local thugs from bullying the little hamlet. It was actually easy to locate this group as I walked outside and right away I saw a group of goblins actually surrounding this farmer and telling him to drop the knife he was holding before the leader took it for himself. As the other villagers actually gave an appropriate " its terrifying" when they are watching this dude get mugged. I actually was suprised and died to the goblins as they actually were hostile towards me when I started attacking their group. But I felt like it was a legitimate and my first hard earned death from a legitimate quest.

All I did was put in some page breaks.  The Enter key is your friend.  You make it feel sad and alone when you don't use it to break your narrative into paragraphs.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 04:33:32 pm »

@lamblichos

Lol. I was just about to put up a similarly edited OP before I even noticed your post.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 02:03:43 pm »

Yeah, adventure mode is in a sad place right now. It has all the systems needed to create a far more interactive and fun experience - but has absolutely zero polish.

It's a shame, for sure.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERSONALITY:SELF_CONTROL:0:2:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »

But we also have to remember one man has been working for
Almost 16 (17?) years now.

He can't do it all. But slowly, he is working on it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:16:07 pm »

Toady hasn't been developing DF since 1999/2000. He started developing it in 2002.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 05:21:35 pm »

Songs and dance troupes, meanwhile...
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 09:48:43 am »

Songs and dance troupes, meanwhile...
RIP Ace Bees. The world wasn't ready for you yet.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 02:21:28 am »

FUCK, MY EYES
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:22:25 pm by 99Hedgehog »
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:32 am »

FUCK MY EYES

Is that a request or an exclamation? A comma would clarify.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 10:22:32 am »

Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: [1] 2