Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 51568 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2015, 12:25:53 pm »

In fairness, edit-wars are kinda bad form. I'd much prefer if, in general, you guys'd just post a new thing and edit a retconbot notification into the old post, if you completely alter the content.

I've got other stuff to say but oh god real life stuffs see ya in an hour or two bye.

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2015, 12:47:15 pm »

Retconbot was deployed.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2015, 12:58:48 pm »

One, read the whole thing next time, and two, if it is still not clear, ask for clarification. I can at least try to explain in simpler terms what i am trying to do, but only IF YOU ASK.  I am not a mindreader, and even if i was, i certainly cant read it over the net.
Also, you have refused to recieve a single hit either phyiscally or now magically, on your PET no less, even when i have suffered losses from being attacked. Not a effin scratch even. Worst case, you Can fix the damn thing. The only reason you took MINOR injuries was because amperzand narrated them in, which frankly implies you were pushing your luck thin at that point.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2015, 02:36:50 pm »

Fish's modus operandi is to push his luck until the GM and his fellow players make him stop. I've also known/been around him long enough to believe that he's actually a fairly intelligent human being, rather than a troll or internet-dumbass, but still. I don't particularly expect you guys to deliberately allow yourselves to become injured, but that's what I'm here for.

Fish, I believe you need to re-research the definition of powergaming, because you don't seem to know the meaning of the term, and it's not making this more fun for anyone else.

I'm also feeling inclined to let Hache pull his thing with the bits of souls, that being a particular skill of his kind, since it sounds interesting.

/nonsequitur Incidentally, I have just eaten an "Original Extra-Strong Menthol Cough Lozenge" made by a company "Est. 1865". I can feel it doing my respiratory passages a world of... Something. Also, my teeth are tingling. If I do not reappear, assume I have succumbed to menthol poisoning.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2015, 02:38:44 pm »

lol. a new and pleasant form of murder: menthol poisoning
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2015, 04:08:12 pm »

The feeling of my esophagus icing up and dental tingling have faded, so my survival would seem likely.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2015, 04:42:27 pm »

Fish's modus operandi is to push his luck until the GM and his fellow players make him stop. I've also known/been around him long enough to believe that he's actually a fairly intelligent human being, rather than a troll or internet-dumbass, but still. I don't particularly expect you guys to deliberately allow yourselves to become injured, but that's what I'm here for.

Fish, I believe you need to re-research the definition of powergaming, because you don't seem to know the meaning of the term, and it's not making this more fun for anyone else.

I'm also feeling inclined to let Hache pull his thing with the bits of souls, that being a particular skill of his kind, since it sounds interesting.

/nonsequitur Incidentally, I have just eaten an "Original Extra-Strong Menthol Cough Lozenge" made by a company "Est. 1865". I can feel it doing my respiratory passages a world of... Something. Also, my teeth are tingling. If I do not reappear, assume I have succumbed to menthol poisoning.
...No GMing while high on cough lozenges, Amp.  ;P

As for powergaming:
Point taken, I'll try to stop.  Although in this case, ?Dustan? has just encountered what he thinks is a simple system (see prior arguspam) that very much isn't.
And yes, I did actually look it up.

@Dustan:
It seemed clear, to me, that you were trying to make Spark malfunction via magic taint, and the soulsucking was an incidental effect of a telepathic bond.  It was not clear that the intent was to soulsuck as a primary effect.
And I haven't had any real opportunity, save maybe the troglodytes, to take injuries prior to Amp giving me injuries.  I narrated my original entry rather poorly, and took the logical action when faced with a berserker horde but was expecting some sort of mini-fight in between.  Amp kinda just skipped that.

==Re: No you can't hack my AI==
And yes, I'm bloody well protecting what amounts to a magic AI with magic protection from magic interference.  You went straight for the most defended part, for crying out loud.  Right straight for the part that I'd secure more, as a mage and as a programmer type.  I mean seriously.  A weighted net would probably have worked better, especially as he would have no height advantage.  Although, if we hadn't had this argument he probably would have...Eh...Maybe.  I dunno.  Definitely would have slowed him down more.  But at this point it's purely hypothetical because it didn't happen, and thus is kinda moot.

Heck, Murdoc seems to be nullifying the point of this entire debate with one of his own.

FWIW, I would be willing to have a sort of magic virus that kicks in after a bit, but I really don't think it's reasonable that under chase scene conditions, at first sight of anything computerlike, to have someone be able to hack a computer.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:44:27 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2015, 06:20:30 pm »

Certainly nobody here has the ability to hack into an AI while doing much of anything else, or with any great alacrity.

That said, a powerful necromancer could also simply defeat the little thing in a contest of willpower. It's a mind, and you're using magic. Raw psychic strength will win out, though once y'all go down the path of psionic pscrewyness things are probably going to get psilly.

Having thought about it, a lot of the issues we're having come from you guys not trying the kind of clever things I had assumed were obvious, like skrying to recon Out East, or overwhelming numbers from a necromancer, or a number of other things the cough lozenge seems to have frozen out of me.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2015, 06:34:10 pm »

If it came to that, I would prooooobably end up fighting back myself.

...Dang, where can I get one of those?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:39:38 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2015, 09:22:12 pm »

how does he manage competent wrestling and complex magic at the same time, though?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2015, 09:28:30 pm »

by doing them one after the other?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2015, 09:30:42 pm »

@Murdoc; He can't, simple. Nobody can, for now.

@Dustan; Very true. Simultaneity is still a major threat.

@Menthol; They seem to come from the UK, but my local grocery has them for $2.75 a box. They aren't psychoactive, don't worry, just make you feel light-headed and sear your respirational ductses with cleansing ice. They are also small brown ovals, and the boxes have a surprising number of them.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 30, 2015, 09:33:39 pm »

magic is still supposedly very fast, yes? all it would take is a couple of seconds to do the damage, then he could start dealing with the attacker, albeit  at a slight disadvantage. hence why I said IF he managed to stop the attack, it would still injure his wrist. IF he does not, then we have new problems.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:37:23 pm by Dustan Hache »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 30, 2015, 09:40:55 pm »

Combat magic is designed for the express purpose of being fast and, comparatively, simple, being basically just throwing power around and watching things light on fire or be tazed. Attempting to fight another magic user out of LOS or through proxy, however, is complex and time-consuming, though the spell usually moves extremely quickly once cast.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 30, 2015, 09:44:16 pm »

even with a existing link to the target in question, which in turn provides a means of attacking both the primary and secondary targets?
not to mention the fact that being extremely adept with necromancy in specific counts for nothing when messing with a persons soul?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43