Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 50655 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 10:32:03 pm »

...I feel as if I end up browbeating you into agreeing. I'd rather not do that.

Having said this, I'd like to provide a clarifying end to the whole thing a while ago with you wanting to use mass-energy conversion in magic. You can do it, and it's not particularly hard, even. The problem lies with not being able to actually use much of the energy from it for anything without turning your nervous system into a terawatt-range flashbulb, thereby leaving the remainder laying around in the wild to make beautiful mushroom cloud children. Or in other words you can make a nuclear explosion out of nothing if you're willing to kill yourself doing it. Obviously there are limits, but still.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:35:06 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 08:35:19 pm »

Amperzand, yes he is generating a necromantic field in the caves. Yes, he is doing this from long range, and probably from within a evil biome, with the help of someone or something else. No, it is not going to raise the dead right there and then. It will most likely animate chunks of the corpses piece by piece as it saturates the area, and maybe start to make magical objects go haywire for a bit. Finally, his base is not a tower, and being in a evil biome, is partially masked from detection due to the naturally high geothaum, which in and of itself is corrupted. Yes, even this field is being drained, though pumping it into a cave to attack dwarves is not helping it keep stable.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 08:59:59 pm »

We have three casters in our fort, and I, specifically, probably would notice necro stuff scouts that were being forcefed.

However, if you're just now throwing energy at it, that I can work with.

Magic doesn't lag...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:03:15 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 09:22:43 pm »

It might if you hadn't figured out how to make it not do so.

It's worth noting that you would have to maintain transmission or use a lot more power than you can have yet to create a standing field, thereby exposing your base of operations regardless of its placement. You can, however, quickly resurrect anything currently dead and laying around outside of sanctified coffins.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 09:34:09 pm »

*You mean coffins?

Oh, I suppose.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2015, 09:43:06 pm »

We have three casters in our fort, and I, specifically, probably would notice necro stuff scouts that were being forcefed.

However, if you're just now throwing energy at it, that I can work with.

Magic doesn't lag...
1, i can remove this if you want, but concidering that they are just vermin in theory, they shouldn't be overtly obvious, or require a large ammount of energy to maintain. That said, it is a problem because while a vague "bombardment" of energy could work, it would strain the already limited resources of my necromancer past the point of usefulness and negate the whole point of attempting to launch an attack like so.
As a result, i used a single, cave dwelling zombified creeping eye, which could of actually been in the underground network via secondary cave systems leading to the surface, as a way of "targeting" thye attack so that it would't just animate a toe or two.

Finally, on the subject of magical lag... All forms of energy known to physics emit some form of radiation. Thaumic energy can't be that different if it extinguishing torches and such?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 09:53:50 pm »

In the case of the torches, the uberspell basically drained the heat-energy of the torches to fuel itself. Magic, while in this 'verse limited to within a reasonable distance of actual physics, exists pretty much for the purpose of committing scientific impossibilities. You could, even if you only used a bog-standard radio emitter, use magic to make the waves show up halfway across the world instantly without passing through the intervening space.

Some forms of spell create radiation of some kind, some do more esoteric things. Magic can do stuff that isn't possible, but there are limits, and I am those limits. This is part of the reason my character cannot use magic.

Your scoutzed provided you locational data and presumably an image of the scenario, but the uberspell will have siphoned the energy keeping it reanimated, temporarily disabling it. You can use the info it gave you to fairly precisely target a mass-reanimation spell, especially if you already have large capacitors in your base with which to fuel it, or you can wait for it to wake back up and let it do something more precise. Either way, these initial probes will be unlikely to do much beyond test us.

Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2015, 10:23:37 pm »

Yeah, those scenes where all the lights go out because of an exceptionally powerful spell, only that's REALLY not normal for magic to do unless it's DESIGNED to do so.  But this particular spell was not normal, and whatever-the-heck-it-is-you're-doing is making that kind of occurrence more likely by draining all the magic.  I mean, I'm ASSUMING it's you, because you're in the right direction.

Oh, and re: Zombie Eye, if you animated it and then sent it, sure, you could make that work, because zombies do survive without necros but no, you couldn't raise anything that doesn't already have the structure for the spellwork in our area without notice, nor could you pump magic in to craft said structures ("waves his/her hands" or however it's done) without attracting notice.  So, you've been noticed, and now I am going to be on alert.  Just a warning.
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2015, 10:39:29 pm »

He is draining and storing some energy, yes. But he is nowhere near powerful enough to drain it from the whole world, just his local little pocket of evil. Also, being as he is one a necromancer with a assistant, and no tower full of elderich artifacts to store thaumic energy in copius ammounts(though he does have a single object for long range transmission, sort of like a scrying pool.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2015, 10:52:04 pm »

All you need is crystal structures, or, for a Evil necro (there are probably a few that are Good, and they'd probably go by other names, like Post-Mortem Communicator (*coughDiscworldreferencecough*)), I'd totally see some optimizations in biological mana storage that are simply Just Not Done by about anyone else due to sheer squick.
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 10:53:33 pm »

Also, thanks for inadvertently revealing you're not [REDACTED] (though you could be related...Grr.).

Oh, and on the subject, I'd think that Workings like that guy's (R's) would be VERY traceable.  It's like a drain.  If you have enough water, you get a whirlpool that you can track to the sourcepoint.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:55:42 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2015, 11:07:27 pm »

He isn't related to Out East in any way. In fact, Out East is just as much of a threat to him as it is to you, if not more in some ways. None of the world's few magic users even know more about Out East than its general location and that it's draining the Geothaumic field beyond what should reasonably be possible.

Spoilers; [REDACTED] even if [REDACTED]

Actually, he could create a temporary necro-field to reanimate everything in a small area from a distance with considerable preparation and a good amount of power. Creating a long-term, minor effect without constant input on his part, ala Evil Biomes, would require a much larger spell or his own presence here to set up a physical base for the spell.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:15:55 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2015, 11:09:58 pm »

And since he has lag while I don't...Oh dear, I can't just curbstomp him can I.  No reserves, also game will nerf.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2015, 11:14:07 pm »

Minor edits to the above post, please note them.

I am now obligated to watch a movie with my friends and relations, I shall return and answer more questions in an hour or two.

No, you really can't curbstomp him. Even if you hadn't just used every drop of magical energy you could without crippling yourself, he's at least as strong as you are, probably more because he doesn't have other players to back him up and I'd rather have the Other Team be an actual threat.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2015, 11:30:25 pm »

Minor edits to the above post, please note them.

I am now obligated to watch a movie with my friends and relations, I shall return and answer more questions in an hour or two.

No, you really can't curbstomp him. Even if you hadn't just used every drop of magical energy you could without crippling yourself, he's at least as strong as you are, probably more because he doesn't have other players to back him up and I'd rather have the Other Team be an actual threat.
Game will nerf, I said.  ;P
But yeah.
We need to have an outside moderator in the "what can do what" that's going on.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43