Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 51402 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2015, 08:54:51 pm »

I would be careful not to be sueish....

im an elf. why do you think I wear armor? but I guess you make a point.....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2015, 09:20:32 pm »

I have no problem with you being intelligent enough to get yourself good gear, or being able to use magic. Of course, this apparently being a version of realworld-you stuck in an elf, the question of where/how you learned to do all this does come up.

I mean, I'm an actual roboticist and have known the approximate formula for black powder since I was twelve, so I've got some amount of justification for being able to improvise shitty firearms out of an entire dwarven metalworking industry, FishNet is using a character who probably spent decades learning things before even showing up where I first encountered him, Hache is a necromancer, and they apparently learn everything they need from a magic book...

Anyway, I'm regulating you like everybody else, and while I've done some minor railroading I do intend not to do so in future.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2015, 11:00:43 pm »

Howdop?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2015, 11:11:16 pm »

Nowdop.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2015, 11:31:29 pm »

Wowdop.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2015, 11:39:50 pm »

Hehdop.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:47:16 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2015, 07:20:43 pm »

Wutdop?!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2015, 08:34:23 pm »

Whichdop?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2015, 10:19:58 pm »

Wait, what order do those 5 Ws and H go in again?  :(
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2015, 11:38:36 pm »

I don't even. Wut?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2015, 12:12:35 am »

What Where Why blah etc.  I thought we were doing that.

Anywho, back on topic, I kind of expect Spark to get the language sooner rather than later, as it has enough in common to be understandable somewhat without prior linguistic exposure.  Eh.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2015, 12:38:25 am »

Nope. Spark didn't even have enough bandwidth to catch all of it, let alone decode it, or render it compatible. When I said impossibly complex I did mean impossible complexity. You could get the gist of the first layer, you can probably codebreak the second within a week or so, and below that you didn't even get enough compatible data to tell if there is a code.

Don't worry, it won't stay like this.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2015, 12:51:38 am »

Nope. Spark didn't even have enough bandwidth to catch all of it, let alone decode it, or render it compatible. When I said impossibly complex I did mean impossible complexity. You could get the gist of the first layer, you can probably codebreak the second within a week or so, and below that you didn't even get enough compatible data to tell if there is a code.

Don't worry, it won't stay like this.
Ahem.  There is like half a cubic meter of storage to catch things in.  Plus my head.
Note the order of the adjectives.
That is, assuming a reasonable volume of storage is maybe 500 GB per volume of an average external hard drive, and devoting maybe a tenth of that to RAM, multiple terabytes of storage.. And I have rather good lossless compression methods.

...Holy carp I underestimated Moore's law.  8 TB (even in powers of ten) in 2.1 in^3?!
Just 1 TB of storage in that space results in 13,100 TB of data.
105,000 if we assume 8 TB drives.
Wow.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:05:57 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2015, 01:01:09 am »

Bandwidth, not storage. It was transmitted in like a five-millisecond burst, then stopped. Even if Spark dedicated all available input ports, including those for main senses, it'd probably only be able to catch most of it. You just couldn't download it fast enough.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2015, 01:34:59 am »

Bandwidth, not storage. It was transmitted in like a five-millisecond burst, then stopped. Even if Spark dedicated all available input ports, including those for main senses, it'd probably only be able to catch most of it. You just couldn't download it fast enough.
Ah.  I see.  One, magic, two, how much data was IN that packet?  (Seriously.  There is no WAY some random creature has yottabits of throughput.), three, if the packet all hit, it all went in.  I will point to humans with absolute memory as an example and point out that there is probably a similar granularity in the FB's communication, and even at that, if a processing cycle (read-write) takes 100 ns, that's 50,000 cycles.  I used numbers for dynamic RAM.  I think.

You know what, data dump because I don't even get it.  (Wikipedia)

...Minimum random access time has improved from tRAC = 50 ns to tRCD + tCL = 22.5 ns, and even the premium 20 ns variety is only 2.5 times better compared to the typical case (~2.22 times better). CAS latency has improved even less, from tCAC = 13 ns to 10 ns. However, the DDR3 memory does achieve 32 times higher bandwidth; due to internal pipelining and wide data paths, it can output two words every 1.25 ns (1600 Mword/s), while the EDO DRAM can output one word per tPC = 20 ns (50 Mword/s).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:38:41 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43