Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 50654 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
{OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« on: July 21, 2015, 07:03:22 pm »

So here's where OOC talkings can happen.

Also, if you want to argue a point- scientific or arcane -, argue it here. We don't want to scare people off with pages and pages of arguspam.

Da Rules;

I reserve the right to omniscience.

Don't be stupid or you will lose and stay lost.

Be smarter than I am to win.

Be civil at all times, at least unless your character has reason to be mad or you've yet to drink enough coffee this morning.

If you want to play as a bad guy, go ahead. I'll regulate you just like anyone else, and as long as I know what side you're on, you can be as treacherous as you like.

You can have multiple characters, on different sides.

If you get a character killed, s/he is dead, and it will take smarts to even consider bringing hir back.

No overt powergaming. It's not fun for anyone, don't do it.

Tell me if I'm being a dick.

Tell me if I'm being anal about something.

If there is a Mary Sue, s/he dies and remains dead.

Attempts to make things NSFW beyond a certain acceptable level will be met with extreme prejudice.

Characters;

Net Patham, TheBiggerFish's character, is a war-technomancer from another universe. His "Pet" is a self-aware magical construct in the shape of a winged snake.

Blaze the Elf, EndlessBlaze's character, is a human from Earth who got transplanted into an elf, he does runic magic and blacksmithing. The same player has a side character or two whose names I'm inept enough to have forgotten.

The player Dustan Hache controls a necromancer presumably of the same name, we don't know much about him yet.

[REDACT], known as Amp, is my GMPC from before I became GM. Also a transplanted Earth Human, this one in a dorf. He does mechanical engineering, chemistry, and firearms. Also some physics of various sorts, not very practical here. He currently exists as an excuse to raise the world's tech level. I the player control literally every NPC.

Captain Sarvesh is the current NPC military commander of the fortress.

The Forgotten Beast known for now as Skalewyrm is a twenty-meter winged snake made of living steel covered in sawblade-feathers which is capable of using various breath attacks, from a short-ranged jet of plasma to a stream of liquid metal and a few things in between.

A being, place, faction, object, or [REDACTED] in a general eastern direction from the fort, referred to as Out East, is causing a severe drain in the Geothaumic Field, crippling every magic user on the planet's access to external power. Out East is probably the Big Bad for now, and no, they aren't on your side, whoever you are.

If there are more details or characters I can't think of them right now.

Magical rule stuffs as of the last time we did a census;

Technomancy:
Machines that operate partially via arcane principles and require training with both magic and engineering to create, still closer to normal science than most forms of magic, and fulfills many of the same roles as advanced technology, with a few differences.
Crystalline structures are good for processing.  Finer detail/more complex structure is better.  Logic structures.

Glyphs:
Use the Geothaum to power their purpose, can drain it if overused, thereby shutting themselves down. Being an active effect, can have more direct influence on an object's function. Flaming swords, blades that sharpen themselves, arrows that curve in midair.

Runes so far;
Somewhat like glyphs, use a precise pattern carved into an object and given a one-shot magical charge to permanently alter the physical properties of that object, at the chemical or molecular level. Make things less dense/lighter, increase strength/durability in various ways.

Enchanting: Input power to an object through sheer force of will, can do most anything the other branches can do, but more simply and durably, with less ability to carry out complex intentions. Attempting an enchantment with too little time or power is unlikely to achieve the desired result.
Powered by any number of means, sometimes capable of operating even in areas without useable Geothaum levels.

Direct casting
Channels mana through the mage's mind to cause an effect.  Attempting to do this comes with risks of burnout as the brain is not exactly the best manalogical conductor ever.

Prepared spells/scrolls:
Mage sits down and imbues a spell into a format that allows for activation at a later date, by just about anyone.  Much less dangerous than direct casting as it can be done over longer periods of time, and will simply fail to work if too much mana is required.

Ritual magic;
Functions by creating a simple physical construct and using it as a basis for arcane works. Often safer and easier than more direct spellcasting, but takes longer and is usually less powerful within combat timescales. Can also be used to massive effect with more esoteric components and much longer preparation.

For prepared spells:  Generally, there's an activation word to use, and whatever the mage put on the scroll whilst focusing.  It could range from a cat doodle to mathematical formulas describing the nature of a thirtyseven-dimensional sphere analogue as translated into 3D space, but generally ends up being abstract art.  Runes so generated (or glyphs) will not function, as the magic is already bound to a different purpose.

[THIS MESSAGE TO BE EDITED AT GM DISCRETION]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:16:01 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay12 was a Fortress 3 OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:16:11 pm »

Three readers!  It's working!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
  • A large firefly fond of technology and art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:34:58 pm »

What did I miss (again)?
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:04:36 pm »

What did I miss (again)?
I finished a Big Project, Amp made a functional gun, you healed fully.
((Refreshing adds to viewcount.  Much sad.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:26:41 pm »

Now that's annoying.

@Pyrefly; We escaped the caverns, you entered a coma to heal- which has now ended -Biggerfish made a tiny dragon-homunculus out of rubies and !!Magiscience!!, I made a shitty submachine gun, and there's a new staircase.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:38:05 am »

Now that's annoying.

@Pyrefly; We escaped the caverns, you entered a coma to heal- which has now ended -Biggerfish made a tiny dragon-homunculus out of rubies and !!Magiscience!!, I made a shitty submachine gun, and there's a new staircase.
You forgot "blatant defiance of thermodynamics".
And it's not a homunculus.  It's a construct.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:10:39 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:56:57 pm »

Hey Amp, I never did hear back from you about me cloning myself???  Completely unrelated but, you know.  I'd like to have options in place.  Especially as this does not look as if it will end well.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:19:02 pm »

I'm fairly sure I made myself clear, but here I go again. You can have one character from outside this universe, and two- one on our side, one straight antagonistic -from within it, pseudosentient pets and indirectly controlled NPC-employees not counting. Extra versions of yourself would count as more than one exterior character. If you set up a cloning vat for versions of yourself in this world, it'd probably work, but that's at least one or two Monthly Projects away, probably an entire tech-up.

I may, of course, alter these rules at some point, or if you provide me with/help me devise a superior system. Plus I'm the GM so I'll end up in control of a lot more than that because that's m'damn job.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:49 pm »

i edited my post to account for the assistance we got from fish
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 09:42:30 pm »

Blaze, all the links need a rune if you want all the links to have the effect, since each link is a separate object. If you used cable, it would be one object, and you'd only need one binding every few feet to make it work.

Time hasn't been a concern before because various things, beginning with I hadn't actually had time to figure out a system for these things, and ending with you were usually either doing them offscreen or performing something more akin to ritual magic than true runebinding.

You can't just use ambient magic for everything because there isn't enough ambient magic, this is an actual major plot point, so I advise you to keep it in mind.

Yes, things happen offscreen to save space, but on the other hand journalsaying, for instance, "I spent the day preparing runebound implements to capture the FB." says you spent a day preparing, whereas this is just you pulling the same implements from Hammerspace, which doesn't actually work here.

As for your chain of events, " duck behind shield>engrave rune to make beast stop trying to burninate us> bind it in chains i made earlier>extract diamond and heal."

Duck behind shield needs no discussion, it works. Make the FB stop trying to kill you with a rune doesn't work, because you don't have enough power, couldn't affect it from here anyway, and runes aren't meant for that kind of thing, also you don't have enough power. The runebound chains/cables would actually work fairly well if you'd made them, and extracting the diamond through various means is perfectly possible. Healing it is likely fairly difficult, probably better not to do on-site, but rather wait until it's contained and you're fairly sure it won't immediately thank you by using you as lunch. The thing's nearly immortal and made of steel, it could sit here like this for a thousand years waiting for somebody to help it, leaving it unhealed for a few more months hurts nobody.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:10:59 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 10:32:14 pm »

wait....I thought you were just going to be combat gm.

secondly, what's the difference between runebinding and ritual magic?

thirdly, I introduced runes in the first place so shouldn't I be the one that decides (within reason) what they can do? and I have used them for ranged before, why should an AOE be any different

what plot?

these aren't the same chains I have used before, in fact the only times I recall any mentions of chains as decoration, chaining reiron and the gcs with a chain as a leash  (not to mention chains were edited out because of logic)

calming rune prevents it from deciding to eat me. fish has spells as backup.

also I would like to note im not violating the stories casualty or internal logic.-

- exact limits of ambiance has not been defined.

- I stated early on that I had found a mind affecting rune, that needs to be paired with a rune to define what the effect is (what I put on the ground)

-the rune used to make it AOE has been used before (the radiation stopping rocks)

-and was looking into a counter rune to prevent mind control (what I put on the clothing and armor of the people nearby)

((I hope none of the above sounded to rude, and I welcome continued debate))
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:33:57 am »

I'm only really mandating what happens in combat, but because without the actual forts the previous games had to drive the story, some form of overseer seemed necessary, which I'm doing. If you, or somebody else, would rather be the Overseer, just ask for a vote and I'll make a poll on this thread.

The difference between runebinding and ritual magic... Runebinding works by permanently inscribing a complex symbol onto an object, which effectively channels either energy from a given source into a standing spell that affects the object so modified. Making a sword hot, rendering a chain tougher, that kind of thing. Ritual magic works by setting up a ritual, usually fairly simple in the combat forms, in order to direct willpower and external energy into a spell. Basically you draw a pentagram on the ground and use it as the basis for a magical act of some sort, anything from throwing a fireball to summoning a demon, or healing somebody.

You did indeed introduce runes. On the other hand, runic magic, in one form or another, is a very common concept, so I'm using a fairly standard ruleset here. This allows me to have a general idea of what should and should not be reasonable, while leaving you enough leeway to imagine specific uses for the system.

I intend there to be a plot, because an RP without a plot is really boring. I'm attempting to avoid cutscene-style gameplay/plot separation, so plot elements are/will be used as part of normal posts. I haven't had enough runtime to begin establishing the status quo, however.

I feel you misunderstood something I said for the fourth one. The fact that you have never mentioned chains before does not count in your favor.

Calming rune would have to be both carved on its actual body and powerful enough to actually affect it, which it is neither. You could use ritual magic to try the same thing, but you're effectively trying to use silk ribbon to tie down an enraged dragon in fight-or-flight-cornered mode. It just doesn't work, this thing is far too powerful for a forceful approach to domination.

Just to be clear, you have access to both ritual magic and runic magic, ritual magic being the stuff you've used for AOEs and combat spells in past. Runic magic really isn't good for much in combat unless you've made the things you use beforehand, it takes too long to draw something useful. You're not trying to draw a sting of ancient norse text, you're trying to engrave a late-generation circuit board using a chisel and raw willpower. Here's a comparatively simple real-norse equivalent; https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Vaksalastenen.jpg

The radiation stopping rocks are a flagrant breach of scientific logic. You could use runes to make a thing impermeable to radiation, but stopping radiation from working require disabling the Weak Nuclear Force, while rendering the air impermeable to it is either creating a fairly general purpose force field or making the air kind of hard to breathe. You didn't do the former, and the second is fairly pointless. Retconbot2000

You can affect something's mind with runes on its head or on a thing {Crown, earring, ETC.} on the thing's head. If said thing isn't strong enough to simply overpower the runes, which this here Forgotten Beast happens to be.

Whiles runes to prevent runic mind control are possible, it would in most situations be more helpful to prevent nonrunic mind control, hypnosis, psychic override, ETC.

You could make it AOE, yes, but for one thing there are systems better suited to it, and for another, combat-runing is a bad idea. Plus AOEs tend to be less effective than directly applied effects, and you couldn't do this directly.

{Nothing sounded rude. Sorry, I'm a little bit OCD, in the literal sense.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 06:23:25 am »

((im quite sure a mage such as yourself would recognize a rune for protection against magic effecting the mind))
You did not, in fact, state that ANYWHERE, not to mention that I have my own protections.  And they're considerably more potent.
((only one link on the chain needs a rune
-snip-
 and if i don't have enough power i can just use the ambient magic
In order:
Eh.  It's a separate object, each link, even if conceptually it's a chain.  I agree with Amp.

The ambient DIRECTLY DICTATES your power. Unless you have a mana battery, you don't have any more magic than the local background will provide.

Also, would three of us casting the same spell be enough to get the beast to stop trying to fry us?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:40:17 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 02:49:51 pm »

Blah blah I'm pretty sure significant edits happened so posting to point that out.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 05:22:26 pm »

You aren't quite right, a given creature's body/soul combination does hold a quite useable amount of power in itself, it's possible to do things without using the Field. The issue, of course, is that doing so is horrifyingly dangerous past a very harsh limit. It's your decision whether to do so at any time, but, well, I won't be pulling any punches after a deliberate risk like that.

Two of you, since I can't magic, could indeed burn through a considerable amount of Field energy alongside your own life-force to bind the thing. Doing so will either perma-kill you or render you soul-dead, however. Give or take a few more people wouldn't change much.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43