Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you feel about the use of guns in this setting?

We know how to make them and they're useful, mainline production.
- 4 (33.3%)
They seem out of place and run rather counter to a fantasy setting, avoid them.
- 2 (16.7%)
Get outta here, nerd, nobody finds guns that interesting.
- 1 (8.3%)
Go ahead and have the NPCs make em, but not worth player input.
- 1 (8.3%)
Support, but they shouldn't be the standard weapons.
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43

Author Topic: {OOC Thread} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3  (Read 50651 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: {OOC THREAD} If Bay12 was a Fortress 3
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:32 pm »

You aren't quite right, a given creature's body/soul combination does hold a quite useable amount of power in itself, it's possible to do things without using the Field. The issue, of course, is that doing so is horrifyingly dangerous past a very harsh limit. It's your decision whether to do so at any time, but, well, I won't be pulling any punches after a deliberate risk like that.

Two of you, since I can't magic, could indeed burn through a considerable amount of Field energy alongside your own life-force to bind the thing. Doing so will either perma-kill you or render you soul-dead, however. Give or take a few more people wouldn't change much.
How many mana batteries would make that work WITHOUT killing us in the face?

Also, I think of the ambient as more of an electric potential than a fuel, per se.  Just want to note that.

Amp:See my PM about prepared spells, as well.

...Oh yeah, necromancy.  Bluh.  In MOST cases your magic is dictated by the ambient, but necro will be found.  It...Does things.  And they are obvious.  Not to mention the zombies.

Soultap.  Okay.

Also, you snagged (comment)s in your copypasta.

When is combatdop?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:57:56 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 05:58:45 pm »

Once again, I have edited the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] out of my previous post.
I need to stop doing that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 06:00:32 pm »

OP edited to include rules of magic so far.

The field is indeed not a fuel. Sorry, incorrect usage of wording there.

You could use a bunch- read; months worth, both to build and to fully charge -of mana batteries/arcane capacitors to perform the spell. However, I wouldn't advise trying it, it's still stronger than you and Chained Super Entities are usually considered a bad idea by those who happen to be Genre Savvy.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »

OP edited to include rules of magic so far.

The field is indeed not a fuel. Sorry, incorrect usage of wording there.

You could use a bunch- read; months worth, both to build and to fully charge -of mana batteries/arcane capacitors to perform the spell. However, I wouldn't advise trying it, it's still stronger than you and Chained Super Entities are usually considered a bad idea by those who happen to be Genre Savvy.
Yee-up.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 05:51:34 am »

Incidentally, having made initial scouting forays into the world of 1d4chan, you should probably know that naming a female, dragon-shaped thing "Flare" will likely bring an army of fa/tg/guys with exterminatus cannons and several legions of angry marines down on you. It has to do with furries. And many, many flame wars.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 09:03:45 am »

Incidentally, having made initial scouting forays into the world of 1d4chan, you should probably know that naming a female, dragon-shaped thing "Flare" will likely bring an army of fa/tg/guys with exterminatus cannons and several legions of angry marines down on you. It has to do with furries. And many, many flame wars.
Oh ARMOKDAMMIT.
Do I want to know?
Also: Not dragon shaped.  Snake with wings shaped.
Heck, it doesn't even (technically) have a gender.  But whatever, I can deploy the Retconbot 40K Extinguisher if needed.

...*insert facepalm here*
I've been thinking of Flare in terms of 'he' this entire time.  I probably should have, you know, MENTIONED that at some point.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:14:31 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 03:40:08 pm »

Aright. It's male.

Well, still, you may want to consider other names.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 09:07:22 pm »

Aright. It's male.

Well, still, you may want to consider other names.
Ye, but it's still two or three degrees of separation, depending on whether people keep calling a dragonhawk a dragon or not.. And whether /tg/ knows the difference, but I think they might.  Depends.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 09:34:02 pm »

I kinda doubt they'd know or care. *Shrugs* Your choice.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 12:43:51 am »

Faildop counter: 3+.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 01:14:24 am »

Faildop counter; 9069

I'm gr8 at bein a GM, m80
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 01:38:13 am »

Faildop counter: 0.
Awesome just happened.
HTTP status code viewcount: ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND (guess.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:05:11 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 03:02:04 am »

The amusing thing is it only took me about ten minutes to write that thing out. Procrastinationman!™®
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 06:38:24 am »

I would like to preface this with the fact that we don't actually have Nether Cap yet, since it grows in the third cavern layer, and we have only reached the first, with a few natural pathways to the second outside our current useful range.

So, the deal is, Nether Cap maintains its temperature no matter what. That temperature is quite low, the exact freezing point of water according to arcane tomes of wiki magic, and presumably can absorb/destroy a considerable amount of energy before giving out and burning, though it isn't indestructible or impossible to burn {Objects are destroyed by sustained immersion in magma, but can be used as pipes to move it for a short time}. This makes it a remarkable heat sink material, since rather than having to radiate all the heat to somewhere else, or becoming hot- and therefore less effective -even before the point of real failure, it just makes the energy go away, possibly using it to fuel some vestigial biomagical process to lessen the affront to the laws of thermodynamics.

On the other hand, to get energy out of it you either have to harvest the small heat-energy present  in the object, which unlike the Tiffany Aching Trick doesn't have the advantage of simple mass of harvestable mass- air/stone/water -to bring the yields up to swiftly useful quantities. This method gives you a guaranteed, constant output of a little power, enough to charge a small battery over a few hours. Indeed useful, but not within short timescales, which is where hand cranked or shaker generators shine, Metro style.

The other method is differential energy, I believe it's called, where you somehow get energy from the difference in temperature between a hot thing and a cold thing. I don't know how or why it works, but it's an actual thing in real life, so I assume it does work. The problem here is that you need a hot thing to work with, which assuming you already have the tech for the first system, leaves the question of why bother with the more complex device.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 09:46:01 pm »

I would like to preface this with the fact that we don't actually have Nether Cap yet, since it grows in the third cavern layer, and we have only reached the first, with a few natural pathways to the second outside our current useful range.

So, the deal is, Nether Cap maintains its temperature no matter what. That temperature is quite low, the exact freezing point of water according to arcane tomes of wiki magic, and presumably can absorb/destroy a considerable amount of energy before giving out and burning, though it isn't indestructible or impossible to burn {Objects are destroyed by sustained immersion in magma, but can be used as pipes to move it for a short time}. This makes it a remarkable heat sink material, since rather than having to radiate all the heat to somewhere else, or becoming hot- and therefore less effective -even before the point of real failure, it just makes the energy go away, possibly using it to fuel some vestigial biomagical process to lessen the affront to the laws of thermodynamics.

On the other hand, to get energy out of it you either have to harvest the small heat-energy present  in the object, which unlike the Tiffany Aching Trick doesn't have the advantage of simple mass of harvestable mass- air/stone/water -to bring the yields up to swiftly useful quantities. This method gives you a guaranteed, constant output of a little power, enough to charge a small battery over a few hours. Indeed useful, but not within short timescales, which is where hand cranked or shaker generators shine, Metro style.

The other method is differential energy, I believe it's called, where you somehow get energy from the difference in temperature between a hot thing and a cold thing. I don't know how or why it works, but it's an actual thing in real life, so I assume it does work. The problem here is that you need a hot thing to work with, which assuming you already have the tech for the first system, leaves the question of why bother with the more complex device.
Kayden.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43