Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: The Doctor's Cipher.  (Read 34858 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: The Doctor's Cipher.
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2015, 03:26:54 am »

I concurr, no hints yet.

EDIT: has anyone actually done the separate-it-into-2-letter-bigrams, then have each of those represent one letter?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:55:44 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2015, 04:16:59 am »

Yes, and I can guarantee you it is NOT that simple.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2015, 04:35:34 am »

Thanks, wasn't getting anywhere. Wondered if the symbols on the ends of the lines might be significant somehow.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2015, 05:53:33 pm »

The last line loos like a signature what is the name/title of the person who left this cipher. If it is a signature we might be able to crack the cipher.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2015, 07:03:47 pm »

Oops sorry I hadn't read the thread yet when I posted that.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2015, 05:57:31 am »

Hey, guys? Remember this:

Quote from: Guy who apparently cracked it
"17.3 degrees, 18th radian."

I think this might be relevant somehow. Might be that the cipher has numbers and letters in it (thus requiring adjustments to the frequency analyses). Or the phrase SEVENTEEN POINT THREE DEGREES, EIGHTEENTH RADIAN or some permutation thereof in it, which'd be a stroke of luck if it were. In any case, of all known pieces of information, this one seems likeliest to be in there somewhere or at least related to decrypting it.

Maybe that helps, I dunno. Could slot in other ominous plot words in there, like the previously suggested Project Origin and Phobetor in combination with this.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:06:36 am by Harry Baldman »

Nunzillor

« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2015, 11:48:18 am »

Can we be provided with confirmation that the letter is in English?  That would make it less incredibly difficult.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2015, 12:02:14 pm »

Actually, that's one of the points. I think it might be in German as well, because of the Doctor's ancestry, but then again he has never spoken to anyone in any language other than Space English. At least, as far as we know.

Oh, the Fun if it is, say, in an Arabic language (one of). Because the Doctor is connected to the Wayfarers, and could possibly be just quoting and commenting a passage from their holy texts.  ;)
(No, I really really hope it's not the matter here, or we probably won't ever crack it. I mean, even more "won't ever crack it" than we currently have it.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2015, 12:33:45 pm »

Mi ne parolas multajn lingvojn

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2015, 12:34:41 pm »

The symbol combos actually correspond to kanji, which then must be contextually read or translated to obtain the real meaning.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2015, 01:40:37 pm »

is that irony, I detect.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2015, 02:08:35 pm »

is that irony, I detect.
I don't think esperanto is a ferrous language, but I'm no expert.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2015, 08:36:33 am »

It's potassium based, because when people speak it I feel k.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »

Replaced all symbols with colours. Intended to hoard whatever I found for myself, but too tired. Anyone see anything? Repost if you know how to make an actual square or pixel or could get hold of all images of RBG, RBY, CMY, and Black+White of this type via programme. Probs worthless though.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                                                                 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:49:14 pm by NJW2000 »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2015, 09:11:14 pm »

Even if it turns out to have nothing to do with the code, it wasn't worthless. i have been pursuing something similar in one of my various trials. Nothing's turned up in that area for me so far though.

I think we all are trying to hoard our information a bit, since it's such a big prize. Few of us would be satisfied to post a lot of clues, only to have someone else snatch them up and post the answer right at the end. that's why I think making small teams or partnerships which would split the prize amongst themselves would be a good idea - share resources, double or triple efficiency, and still claim a sizeable chunk should your team break the code first.

The other option is for PW to declare that only posts in this thread which contributed to a solution discovered by a thread member would be rewarded - posts which discovered key clues, or definitively ruled out methods or processes. That would be a lot more challenging for PW to arbitrate, though, I think :P so, teams is still probably the better option.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20