Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: The Doctor's Cipher.  (Read 34218 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Doctor's Cipher.
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2015, 12:45:08 pm »

Doctorrr.... Whoooo...
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2015, 12:46:49 pm »

I guess he is basically a Space Hobo.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2015, 03:48:33 pm »

So, I went through and transcribed the cipher into letters that can be handled by frequency analysis software, and since I did so by hand, there may be typos, though the general results should be similar even if they do exist.

D: Delta
T: Theta
O: Omega
P: Phi
L: Lambda

Spoiler: Transcribed (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Frequency Analysis (click to show/hide)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2015, 05:36:21 pm »

I hate how many assumptions and wild guesses I'm having to make to get something that approaches a workable theory.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2015, 05:46:04 pm »

My best guess right now is a mix of pairs and triads.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2015, 05:58:39 pm »

Yeah, that's kind of how crypt-analysis goes. You make a reasoned guess, you do everything in your power that follows from your guess, and then you abandon it and find a new guess if it doesn't pan out :P

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2015, 07:31:34 pm »

Not if. When.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2015, 10:25:59 pm »

Well, theoretically you eventually crack it. That's an if.

You know, assuming it's even possible to crack. It is possible to make one way ciphers XD

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2015, 12:02:40 am »

There is always brute force, but I have not the will to attempt that with any level of dedication.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2015, 07:00:10 am »

If it comes to that, there is also always rubber hose cryptoanalysis (or, should I rather say, social engineering in this case), but only Sean's character is currently semi-active on Hephaestus.  :P

... I wonder, does coming to the Doctor's lab and begging and moaning and groaning and wasting his time and grating on his nerves count as social engineering, or rubber hose cryptoanalysis? I mean, if done correctly, it is a sort of mental torture. Highly suicidal, grossly ineffective mental torture.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2015, 07:10:09 am »

... I wonder, does coming to the Doctor's lab and begging and moaning and groaning and wasting his time and grating on his nerves count as social engineering, or rubber hose cryptoanalysis? I mean, if done correctly, it is a sort of mental torture. Highly suicidal, grossly ineffective mental torture.
Done to someone who can throw scalpels like bullets and is totally liable to do so.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:04 am »

Done to someone who can throw scalpels like bullets and is totally liable to do so.
Yeah, but on Dex battlestimm overdose you can play Neo! And, well, on End overdose you might be able to survive until he gets really annoyed with you. Whether it's a non-disclosive PM from Piecewise with the answers, or a non-disclosive PM from Piecewise with details of your death, you are likely to learn something interesting from this conversation!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2015, 07:25:24 am »

Yeah, but on Dex battlestimm overdose you can play Neo! And, well, on End overdose you might be able to survive until he gets really annoyed with you. Whether it's a non-disclosive PM from Piecewise with the answers, or a non-disclosive PM from Piecewise with details of your death, you are likely to learn something interesting from this conversation!
Well have fun with that.
I just don't think taking addictive mind-altering drugs in order to criminally annoy a shadowy creature of death is something that should be called 'tactics'.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2015, 07:51:33 am »

I want to solve thiiiis :( I feel that I'm out of ideas though

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2015, 09:28:04 am »

Try finding a sequence of two or three letters that repeats a lot of times? Or maybe a group of such pairs/triplets? If we assume a mixed size (groups representing letters can have variable size) then there could be a group representing an "end_of_letter" (or "end_of_word" if they represent words instead of letters). I'd try it myself but I'm not on my PC.

Edit: So that, for example, ABEnd means "value of A plus value of B" while ACEnd means "value of A minus value of C".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:39:23 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20