Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: The Doctor's Cipher.  (Read 34197 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The Doctor's Cipher.
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2015, 02:54:28 pm »

Looking at the cipher, I get a sort of a distinct feeling that it's written in some kind of brainfuck. As in, Brainfuck. Not literally, but something similar.

Also, perhaps worth noting. The tenth line could be the key. It is 36 characters long, divisible by 9.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2015, 11:58:27 am »

can you confirm that the last twelve symbols are correct?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2015, 06:13:28 pm »

Not right now, no. No access to the cipher. But I would assume they are. One mistake maybe but not 12 in a row.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2015, 06:45:51 pm »

It's always interesting to see what information people think is relevant :P

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2015, 08:05:10 pm »

Not right now, no. No access to the cipher. But I would assume they are. One mistake maybe but not 12 in a row.
No hurry, I know you are out of town and all. If any, I would only think one would be in error, not all twelve. It's more for confirmation anyway. Oh, I am least concerned with a possible changed symbol, and more concerned with a dropped or added one. Possible to confirm correct number of symbols? I'll assume a fully correct cipher until shown otherwise.

The last line is centerset in the OP. Is this how it was written by VonNost? Were the symbols aligned as though in a grid, were they evenly spaced, or were they just sort of crammed into a page in lines? Can we assume that the lines in the OP match the line on the page (as in, nine lines of roughly 102 symbols each and one of 36)?

@Kri, I agree. It's also interesting to see how much people discover or chart out, like the whole trigram/bigram thing, and counting the number of symbols and strings of symbols.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2015, 09:56:06 am »

Yeah, I've had a few different theories go bust, but I've got a new one now. Just need to grind it out and see if it works!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2015, 10:14:39 am »

No hurry, I know you are out of town and all. If any, I would only think one would be in error, not all twelve. It's more for confirmation anyway. Oh, I am least concerned with a possible changed symbol, and more concerned with a dropped or added one. Possible to confirm correct number of symbols? I'll assume a fully correct cipher until shown otherwise.

The last line is centerset in the OP. Is this how it was written by VonNost? Were the symbols aligned as though in a grid, were they evenly spaced, or were they just sort of crammed into a page in lines? Can we assume that the lines in the OP match the line on the page (as in, nine lines of roughly 102 symbols each and one of 36)?

@Kri, I agree. It's also interesting to see how much people discover or chart out, like the whole trigram/bigram thing, and counting the number of symbols and strings of symbols.
Number is correct. Spacing is how The Doctor wrote it, though whether or not he had any meaning in that method is up to you to decide.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2015, 10:24:27 am »

I haven't had time to grind out any of my theories, because I'm lazy and everything I've come up with is kind of annoying to decode by hand.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2015, 10:27:26 am »

Posting to find this again, and get the clever people I know to solve it for me.

Oh, also, with my evidently superior knowledge of what greek letters actually are, I have worked out that a transliteration of the first line might look a bit like:

fooldddfoodlldfffffldo(fi)dolofflldf ....  etc.

And what was piecewise messing around with in the latest ER-talk? Something about folding 3-dimensional shapes, I bet! And the first five letters, discounting the extra omaga, look like the word, "fold".

Perhaps "fold" could be some kind of key? Enjoy watching me spending the prize money, suckers!
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:34 am »

Thank you, piecewise, for verifying the number and writing appearance.

thooldddthoodlldthththththldothdoloththlldth ....  etc.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:29:17 am by Ozarck »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2015, 11:05:24 am »

"Tha" in modern, right? Might be a bit different in ancient, which I study?

Anyways, after that joke post, think I might be onto something which nobody has mentioned. Can't quite work out how to check quickly, though.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2015, 11:07:14 am »

"Tha" in modern, right? Might be a bit different in ancient, which I study?

Anyways, after that joke post, think I might be onto something which nobody has mentioned. Can't quite work out how to check quickly, though.
I'm pretty handy with a spreadsheet, might be able to help.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2015, 11:18:59 am »

*Pre-emptive embarassment for missing a previous identical suggestion*

Well, I was wondering if as there are 26 letters in the english language, and the letter uses 5 letters up to 5 times in a row, each letter and number of letters maps onto an english letter: θ being a, for exmaple, omega b, lambda c, delta d and phi e to start with, then θθ being f, θθθ  k, etc, getting something like this for the first line:

AGCNAGDUCDBEDBCBFHIAHEDCEFGECEDHEACDEFFEBCIFDCOBNCEDAEIBAEBDCEDBAIAHEC

The most likely possibility, and the analysis so far seems to support this, is that the singles are the 5 most frequent, then the doubles the 6th to 10th in frequency, etc etc. And there is no z or something, I don't like the last letter, and have no idea about spaces. Those might be hurdles to cross later. Anyway, all that needs to happen, as it is simple to do the initial greek-to-english-cipher on this message, is to exchange the singles with e-t-a-o-i in all possible combinations, then the doubles i-n-s-h-r in all combinations. Alternatively, one could simply transliterate the whole message into ciphered english, then use analysis.

While it seems basic for someone who names themselves after a description of a mathematical function, so far, analysis DOES put the singles as the most common 5 letters in the first line, and has a nearly perfectly complete second line as well. Let me know what you think, or if I explained unclearly.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2015, 11:31:12 am »

In your given example, how would you write "aa" ?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2015, 11:38:34 am »

I think he's saying that the cipher works somewhat like this:
ABCDE=Letter1 Letter2 Letter3 Letter4 Letter5
AACBB=Letter6 Letter3 Letter7
AAABB=Letter8 Letter 7
Meaning that repeating symbols on the left represent a single letter on the right
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20