Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions: Nerfing undeads, making them slow, unable to dodge, etc  (Read 1275 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Just saw someone making that suggestion in the general forum section, I thought it would be neat if a minor mod would do that. I know that the interactions that necromancers use in worldgen are procedually generated, but dwarves could get an interaction that makes undeads more... classical zombie like, slow and dumb.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions: Nerfing undeads, making them slow, unable to dodge, etc
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 03:31:21 am »

"Suggestion: Nerfing unde-..." Oh god, another newb who can't learn to make silver maces to just pulp the und- MEPH?!?

So this must be a serious problem. I 99.9999% of the time stay away from towers, but I guess that's why I thought undead were still weak.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:33:08 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:26:33 am »

I got a lot of undeads in my mod, and apparantly due to the lack of sieges in 40.24, many people mostly fight undeads, and no goblins anymore.

And yes, I can do this myself, maybe I'll have a look over the next days. I got some time in Bukhara. Should be enough for a minor mod. I mostly just wanted to let other modders know that these requests exist and that people would be interested in such a mod.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 04:12:06 pm »

You can screw with the proc-gen recipes using the string patcher. Granted, that'll affect both zombies and the evil-mist death husks, but they're kinda overblown too.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 02:01:25 am »

You can target them with highly-specific interaction requirements, but I dont think I can take the ability to dodge away from them without dfhack. It's just weird to see "zombies" that use weapons and shields and are very nimble.

It would be more interesting if you'd have a distinction between stupid slow-moving Romero-inspired zombies and actual re-animated magic-controlled undeads that can fight.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 05:56:59 am »

Even with dfhack I can't think of a way to remove their ability to dodge that isn't going to slow the game down. Altough I wonder if you give them a dodge action with an extremely long timer it might make them unable to dodge. Haven't played around with actions other than attacks yet, but it is on my list.

I think a good place to start would be to reduce their agility and speed by 100x or so. You could even make a syndrome that started off with 0 slowdown and then ramped up as time went on. Simulating rigor mortis

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:08:22 am »

That gives slow-moving zombies with fast attacks and dodges. I thought maybe the NO_DIZZY can be removed and a random dizzyness syndrome included, simulating the brainless zombie standing around doing nothing for a few ticks, before starting to move again. It would slow them down, and make them fight less well.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 06:43:31 am »

Ah right, I keep forgetting attack speed and movement speed was decoupled.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 12:17:36 am »

That gives slow-moving zombies with fast attacks and dodges. I thought maybe the NO_DIZZY can be removed and a random dizzyness syndrome included, simulating the brainless zombie standing around doing nothing for a few ticks, before starting to move again. It would slow them down, and make them fight less well.

That doesn't sound too bad as a way to make slow, stalking sorts of zombies. Nausea and fevers have a similar effect, I believe. Still want to slow their movement speed, though, because without exertion they can sprint indefinitely. Main problem, once they catch you, is dispatching them. Need a clever way to make really fragile zombies really fragile, as sometimes the fragility itself is desired.

I've definitely thought about how difficult the undead/night creatures/summoned creatures are in my Spellcrafts mod, although for some specific instances the difficulty is intentional. I always operate without going through DFhack, though...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 05:49:31 am »

The best way I can think of is making custom necromancers that just create weaker undeads that have these fever/dizziness syndromes by default, and setting the secrets number in worldgen to 0. But that requires the use of the advanced worldgen. Not sure how many people do that.

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 05:25:17 pm »

Wouldn't reducing or taking away their kinesthetic and spatial senses do that?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 04:28:14 am »

It's just weird to see "zombies" that use weapons and shields and are very nimble.
Apparently J.R.R. Martin got the undead from DF in his movies (I am speaking of Game of Thrones :D).

The only idea I have is to tweak CE_SKILL_ROLL_ADJUST to make them less skilled (more clumsy). We don't have CANNOT_DODGE token and CANNOT_JUMP/CANNOT_CLIMB are not in the list of available IT_REQUIRES/CE_ADD_TAG tokens (which seriously need an expansion by now).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 09:47:02 pm »

The best way I can think of is making custom necromancers that just create weaker undeads that have these fever/dizziness syndromes by default, and setting the secrets number in worldgen to 0. But that requires the use of the advanced worldgen. Not sure how many people do that.

I almost always use advanced worldgen, unless I'm trying out a major mod for the first time, so doing that wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience to me personally.
Regards,
Dampe

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:01:35 am »

Would nerfing their agility with CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE help at all? I think that's a thing that can be done... Not sure if agility actually influences dodging, but it might.

E: Nvm, someone already suggested this. Can't read, lol.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 06:57:20 am »

Would it be possible to keep a few super zombies around, but make the rest slow zombies?  Maybe 1 zombie in every 10 is still a super zombie.  I feel like making zombie invasions too doable will make them boring. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.