Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 91292 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1932 Revision
« Reply #1710 on: August 28, 2015, 06:55:39 am »

What method would you suggest instead then? FPTP?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: August 28, 2015, 06:57:49 am »

What method would you suggest instead then? FPTP?

Well, yes.  You vote for what you think is the best proposal.  Multiple votes to arrange a list is okay, but I'm expecting another flamethrower to get in that way sooner or later.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: August 28, 2015, 07:01:13 am »

I think what he really wants is Devastator past the post. He picks the Best Choice, and that's it.  :P

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: August 28, 2015, 07:05:23 am »

I'm against FPTP (possibly biased), due to the UK voting system.

My plan, once we started stagnating on ideas, was to eliminate all suggestions with one vote, and then have the rest as our shortlist.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: August 28, 2015, 07:17:04 am »

I'm against FPTP (possibly biased), due to the UK voting system.

Many, many people on the internet are.  The arguments against it don't really apply to elections of exactly one candidate, though.  If we did three or four revisions, I'd be in favor of it.  As we do exactly one, however.

I'd also be interested in seeing if you can recite the actual reasons in favor of (insert voting method here), or can just recite the usual arguments of 'It's more fair, or it's more represenative.'  Those only apply when certain unspoken additional assumptions are made.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: August 28, 2015, 07:20:26 am »

Splitting of the vote between similar project can cause a less popular one to win. Eg, a majority of players want a plane, but their vote are split between interceptor and fighter-bomber. That cause the project for dong-shaped grenade launcher to win.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: August 28, 2015, 07:21:05 am »

I'd say try me, but you'll never know if I can recite them or if i googled it. So, moot point.

Back on topic, we're supposed to be deciding what the best revision is, not the best way to decide how to decide what he best revision is.

Also, I agree with the filthy Arstotzkan.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: August 28, 2015, 07:27:39 am »

I'd say try me, but you'll never know if I can recite them or if i googled it. So, moot point.

Back on topic, we're supposed to be deciding what the best revision is, not the best way to decide how to decide what he best revision is.

Also, I agree with the filthy Arstotzkan.

Most of the time I would doubt it, but in this case in particular I'd be able to tell.  The actual arguments behind it lay out the series of assumptions made, which gives ground for applying them to this situation.  If you have a seriously good argument that does, the assumptions will stand up to a close examination.

The vote-splitting bit doesn't matter, as votes are public, and people can then change to the other design if they like the other more than the dong-shaped grenade launcher.  If they're never going to change in the face of an abjectly stupid design, I don't see why the stupid design wouldn't, or shouldn't, go through.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: August 28, 2015, 07:29:51 am »

Because people aren't online all the time, so they might not have the opportunity to change their vote. Why do you think FPTP is better?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: August 28, 2015, 07:36:27 am »

Anyway.

This is what the vote list looks like if we purge all the single votes, and I only vote for one thing.

Quote from: Vote List
Fix Camo - evilcherry, Kashyyk
Cheapen Tank - Devastator
Cheapen/Improve Radio - Taricus, Iituem

I'm actually ok with any of the three, but I think fixing our camo is the most important at the moment.

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: August 28, 2015, 07:38:18 am »

God I know I've been gone from this thread since sometime back in the 20's but Im gonna have to vote for fixing the camp if the enemy has effective snipers which they do our best counters going to be making it harder for them to spot and thus engage our troops.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: August 28, 2015, 07:41:10 am »

Because people aren't online all the time, so they might not have the opportunity to change their vote. Why do you think FPTP is better?

Because it doesn't take three days to vote on it, mostly, and it isn't handicapping the road to victory.  Poor designs have never had issues gaining popularity, and changing the vote system isn't likely to stop them from winning.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: August 28, 2015, 08:56:59 am »

Because it doesn't take three days to vote on it, mostly, and it isn't handicapping the road to victory.  Poor designs have never had issues gaining popularity, and changing the vote system isn't likely to stop them from winning.
And I think IRV could defeat the bandwagon.

I believe a few people has an ego of me or nothing, and a more proportional system can only help defeating them

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: August 28, 2015, 09:09:10 am »

I believe a few people has an ego of me or nothing, and a more proportional system can only help defeating them

You can name me, evilcherry.  As is I have one vote, and have pushed one design I liked through, the B2 destroyer.  Every other thing I have supported has been shot down vhemently, with the exception of the cheap SMG bandwagon.

-edit- (unnecessary)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:18:22 am by Devastator »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: August 28, 2015, 11:00:22 am »

Quote from: Vote List
Fix Camo - evilcherry, Kashyyk
Fix Hippo - evilcherry
Improvised PDW - evilcherry, Baffler
Cheapen Tank - Devastator, Kashyyk
Add Turbocharger to YellowJacket - UR, Baffler
Cheapen/Improve Radio - Taricus, Kashyyk, Iituem, Baffler
Cheapen Scopes - Taricus

I can really see a lot of ways we can go here. Do you have something specific in mind for the PDW?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 135