Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Crux Ultimum - The Inquisition Wants YOU! (Turn 10, page 9)  (Read 15726 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

if not dumb (for me) mechanics with words mixing would join. Hf gl here peeps

Hmm? Well, I know that four separate categories of words is a bit unwieldy, but I gotta keep it orderly.

Name: Rob Grey
Appearance/Preferred Dress: Dresses in typical mage robes
Interests: Rob studies biological magic, the changing and healing of flesh
Focuses:
>Diplomacy: 2.5
>Martial: 4
>Stewardship: 2
>Intrigue: 2.5
>Learning: 5

Rob Grey, AKA Spiderking50
Luck: 6/12
Traits:
Master of Tomes: You are able to find Words hidden in any book, so long as you roll successfully
*Master of Battle: If you change a character's physical status this turn, get +2 Luck. If you don't, lose 1 Luck.
Spoiler: Dictionary (5 words) (click to show/hide)
*This one might be a little too harsh outside of combat, but it's not the same as -1 to all actions. It actually incentives using multiple actions per turn since you get the d6 for every action.

Reading:
The thing about Words is that they activate even if you write them down, because writing is a proxy for speech. There is thus no such thing as a "book of magic" that teaches one a dictionary of words. Instead, Words are hidden through double meanings and encodings in all manner of texts, used by scholars to discretely advance the art of magic even without physical contact or direct writing. However, these methods require a lot of space, and so you can only get 1-2 Words per book in most cases.

Name: Desiccatus Morbid
Appearance/Preferred Dress: Dirty smocks and apron, bloodstained gloves.
Interests: Medicine, anatomy, and the human mind and body.
Focuses:
>Diplomacy: 2
>Martial: 1
>Stewardship: 3
>Intrigue: 4
>Learning: 5

Sorry this took so long...

That wasn't that long to be honest.

Desiccatus Morbid, AKA Cheesecake
Traits:
Elusive: When an NPC has never seen you, his Alertness to you is reduced by 1
Creative: Performing an action using medical equipment gives +2 Luck
Reclusive: Actions targeting other people cost 2 Luck, unless *ahem* something else is speaking for you (money, a knife, etc.)
*The meaning of this one might be unclear with how it works in the mechanics. It may take some Science to figure it out.

I think I'll roll with the current 5 players right now. Sign-ups closed, waitlist open.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Crux Ultimum - Standby (Turn 0 in progress...)
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 06:44:28 pm »

Sounds good to me. When do we start?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crux Ultimum - Standby (Turn 0 in progress...)
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 08:12:14 pm »

((Now))

Our party found themselves forced to take cover inside a lone building, surrounded by ruined sections of walls and smoldering debris. Arrows tap the ceiling like rain, and the screams of charging paladins issue forth from the windows.

The next cannonvolley's roar causes the walls to shake. A wine glass topples among the mugs and bottles on an otherwise empty countertop, splattered with alcohol. Chairs already lie fallen (presumably in a rush to exit the building), and likewise a number of plates and utensils were already knocked off the lonely tables. The cellar is locked using a padlock and chain, the latter of which jingles like a wind chime.
To one side of the building is grand piano and a pair of shelves, mostly empty with a good dozen books or so left. The other side holds a rack of plates set into the wall and covered by glass doors.

There is but a single entrance (a set of swing doors that do a terrible job of keeping people out) and four spacious windows. A thud echoes repeatedly and continuously through the ground, and is increasing with intensity.

Traits:
Master of Tomes: You are able to find Words hidden in any book, so long as you roll successfully
Master of Battle: If you change a character's physical status this turn, get +2 Luck. If you don't, lose 1 Luck.

Traits:
Reclusive: Actions targeting other people cost 2 Luck, unless *ahem* something else is speaking for you (money, a knife, etc.)

Raioyris Carolean, AKA Wunderkatze
Traits:
Princely Wisdom: Gain 1 Luck at the end of each turn if you have less than 6 Luck
Prodigial Son: Each item you buy or sell costs 1 Luck

Varl Kantor, AKA HighEndNoob
Luck:
Traits:
xDreadcloakx: -1 Luck cost per turn for staying hidden
xDarkbladex: All stealth attack targets (including Cautious ones) roll a 1 for defense
xJokerx: Lose 2 Luck whenever you are attacked
xSinisterx: Bartering NPC's get a +1 to their dice rolls

Jasper Jones, AKA Tomasque
Luck:
Traits:
The Art of War: Once a turn, you can make a single allied attack Piercing lvl 3 (ignores any modifiers by worn armor or magic, up to 3), but not your own
The War Machine: +1 to upgrade rolls
The Gift of Silence: The NPC you are persuading gets a +1 to his die

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Crux Ultimum - Standby (Turn 0, page 2)
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:58 pm »

"Dessicatus. Use your magic to imbue the basement lock with isolation, thus making it separate from the chain."
((Would that work?))
If/when this is done, salvage useful materials from basement, then lay low down there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:39:13 am by Tomasque »
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »

"Will do..." he rasps. He grasps the basement lock.

Isolate/Imbue/Strike

(Is this how we do spells?)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:36:16 pm by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 09:19:45 pm »

((I never said you all knew each other ;). But I guess I implied it with the 'our party,' so let's say you can know each other. If you want.))

Isolate/Basement Lock

((Nope. To copy what Tomasque suggested would be Isolate/Imbue/Strike. For future words you'll have to figure out how to target your Locations manually, but since you start with it you know how it works: It imbues whatever you are currently holding with the verb desired. So if you hold the chain, and then say the Words, it'll imbue the chain with "Isolate" of the magnitude "Strike" (which is a fairly low magnitude, but it doesn't generate much Entropy.)

You can also choose what to roll. You probably don't want a 1 or 2 as it will fail somehow (although you could use failure to your advantage in some cases), but you can choose if you want a partial success or better here. You basically spend your Luck, and then gain 1-6 Luck at the end of the turn for each action.
^that mechanic, if it turns out to be far too overpowered/restrictive, I will revise to an ability to give yourself boosts to your rolls as desired.))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:21:23 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 11:07:33 pm »

Look around for any useful items around the saloon and in the basement. I look for Words in any books I come across.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:01:58 am by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 11:37:04 pm »

(I edited mine.)
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 01:20:44 am »

"The demons don't seem very keen on sitting down for a nice drink."

Sneak outside of the pub and investigate the stomping surroundings, rolling a 5.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 01:34:26 am »

"It would seem so," Raioyris replies to Varl, "however not many in this age, demon or not, seem keen on sitting down a nice drink."

Looks around for things of use. Perhaps a blade, a weapon of range, easily portable food... Also takes time to skim through any books laying around. Maybe plays a quiet tune on the piano.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turn 1
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 02:32:02 am »

Look around for any useful items around the saloon and in the basement. I look for Words in any books I come across.

[1] The saloon itself is ransacked and mostly empty of valuable loot, save for the piano. Perhaps she would sell for quite a lot back in the city... but this is a warzone. The Paladins would be more concerned with getting you and other nonofficial combatants out of here rather than hauling luxury goods. You walk past.

[1] The bookshelf still has a few books, which you flip through and look for any patterns in the texts you might find. But all that's left are cheap children's novels.

Traits:
Master of Battle: If you change a character's physical status this turn, get +2 Luck. If you don't, lose 1 Luck.

"Will do..." he rasps. He grasps the basement lock.

Isolate/Imbue/Strike

You hold onto the lock, and mutter the words in a low voice
[6] The lock glows and rattles around in its position, causing the chain to become undone. It continues bouncing on the wooden cellar doors for a bit before settling. Jasper flings the entrance open and drops in.

Gained +4 Entropy (perform normal actions to get rid of Entropy)

Traits:
4 Entropy: Nearby metal objects will heat up if you stay close

If/when this is done, salvage useful materials from basement, then lay low down there.

[3] The basement contains a fine assortment of wines, beers, and cheap wooden furniture, perfect for a barricade. It's also smelly and partially flooded. At the bottommost stair you step into mud rather than dirt, and you hear water dripping from a back corner. There is a candle on the wall, but no lighter.

The area immediately beyond the bottom of the stairs is pitch-black, so actions there will suffer a -1 to the roll. (you can't roll 7's)

Jasper Jones, AKA Tomasque
Luck:
Traits:
The Art of War: Once a turn, you can make a single allied attack Piercing lvl 3 (ignores any modifiers by worn armor or magic, up to 3), but not your own
The War Machine: +1 to upgrade rolls
The Gift of Silence: The NPC you are persuading gets a +1 to his die
[/quote]

"It would seem so," Raioyris replies to Varl, "however not many in this age, demon or not, seem keen on sitting down a nice drink."

Looks around for things of use. Perhaps a blade, a weapon of range, easily portable food... Also takes time to skim through any books laying around. Maybe plays a quiet tune on the piano.

As the travesties of war carry on outside, you decide it's time for a little melody. Perhaps Nightfall by Hanz Gödelburg would be a good fit.
[4] As you play, you notice something rattling around inside the piano in tune with your beats. Looking inside, you find an old Estoc bearing an insignia of a six-tailed comet on the pommel: The old Onyxian Guard.

Raioyris Carolean, AKA Wunderkatze
Traits:
Princely Wisdom: Gain 1 Luck at the end of each turn if you have less than 6 Luck
Prodigial Son: Each item you buy or sell costs 1 Luck
Inventory:
Estoc: Sharp and good for stabbing, but lacks a cutting edge.

You approach a window and smash it with a mug. Then you back up and prepare your signature maneuver: The Flying Cow.
[5] You leap through and gracefully come to a stop on the other side, and don't see anything that could be the immediate source of the thuds. At the back of the pub, you see spilt wine barrels, and hear a slurping sound, something like an animal.

Current cost of maintaining stealth: 0
Rolled d4 for Luck

Varl Kantor, AKA HighEndNoob
Luck: 5/12
Traits:
xDreadcloakx: -1 Luck cost per turn for staying hidden
xDarkbladex: All stealth attack targets (including Cautious ones) roll a 1 for defense
xJokerx: Lose 2 Luck whenever you are attacked
xSinisterx: Bartering NPC's get a +1 to their dice rolls

The thudding continues, although it feels closer than it really is, otherwise it would have affected the building somehow.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:44:34 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crux Ultimum - Standby (Turn 1, page 2)
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 02:37:52 am »

Crap, I guess I didn't edit my action in time. I changed it back.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:50:48 am by Tomasque »
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 02:46:58 am »

Pleased with his work, Dessicatus plots a backup in case the paladins are routed. "Come help me block the door," he asks to his teammates.

Move something big and heavy, like the piano, to block the entrance.
Dying of laughter?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 02:59:06 am »

Set lock on well-illuminated dirt step. Get candle.

"Wait Desiccatus, come here. Sit on the step."

When he does so, the padlock begins to heat up.

"Now, Rob. Use 'grow/on touch/blast' to increase the heat of the padlock. Then everyone, quickly back off."

Light candle with increased heat of padlock. Then, with the source of light, search again for useful stuff. [Roll:6]

((How come I can't harness the power of luck for my actions? Or can, but I just don't know how much I have at my disposal?))
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:02:57 am by Tomasque »
Money!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 03:05:52 am »

Desiccatus scowls. "I'm not a tool for you to use." Nevertheless, he helps the man, knowing that it will serve a purpose.

Help Jasper, then do my original action.
Dying of laughter?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10