Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No invasive forces.  (Read 2978 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No invasive forces.
« on: July 22, 2015, 07:40:18 pm »

Hey guys,

I'm playing Masterwork Reborn, and I'm aware that this build in particular is light on the sieges, but I'm getting no biters whatsoever.
No thieves, no assaults, no beasts/titans, and I made sure to have a gigantic array of evil/do bad neighbors. Oddly enough, I set frogmen to civilized, and almost all of the civilized races I preset have visited me. There's been no FUN for the ~4 years my fort aside from me (out of desperation and dwarven righteousness) killing elven caravans.

This is the age of myth too, so I'd have thought something would have come by now, heck even a thief of some sort...Population of 60something, around 200k wealth.

Edit: Hmm, about a month ago another person seems to be having the same issue. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150974.0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:14:43 pm by quekwoambojish »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: No invasive forces.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:14:08 am »

Those civs are more concerned with killing eachother than they are with killing you is the issue. There's also possibly a pathfinding bug in army AI at is more than likely contributing.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:09:18 pm »

It also matters what level of activity you set the races to.  I know that 80 population is one of the trigger levels.  I don't think that they start thinking about invading you until you have reached whatever you set the threshold to.  I usually set frogmen to really early and they show up in the second or third year.  I don't believe I have gotten a thief or a snatcher in the new version of DF at all.  I do commonly get werethings and have had giants and the like show up;  I only think I've seen one titan (it got one-shotted).

If you want things to invade make sure they are set to show up early, especially if you have a low population cap.  How long have you been running the fort?

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:27:18 pm »

@Splint- Does choosing a more 'open' location help fix this pathing problem? It's just weird because traders head to my site just fine. (I have lots of evil neighbors on my embark screen too, are they just not finding me?)

@arbarbonif- I set my pop cap to 60, I have about 50 something dwarves, over 200k wealth, and I'm now around year 6 but still nothing at all. I have EVERY race turned on in defense etc, and many are set to early/very early.

Also to answer some FAQ before someone asks; no I'm not on an island and I'm not in some obscure location. I killed elven traders a year ago or so, and they still haven't counter attacked (But I'm aware merchant killing generally takes some time to take affect)

I just want to know whether this is a major issue with this version of masterwork (reborn), or whether I should just reroll because all of you are getting loads of angry things to chop up.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:30:04 pm by quekwoambojish »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:40:36 pm »

It won't help much. The races you wanna fight can't be constantly hostile towards eachother (fort defense races will fight everybody, even other fort defense races, and are often too beat up to fight anything in the current version as a result,) and there can't be anyone else they'd possibly rather fight near their sites. Traders currently still obey the old code, so you can't really use them as a gauge.

Some of the nastier FD races need extremely high wealth and at least the standard 80 population requirements to come after you if I'm not mistaken.

Part of it, is as said, is some pathfinding hiccups not due to be fixed 'til next release, If I recall right.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 04:01:12 pm »

Hmmmm, darn. At first I was trying fort mode on current vanilla thinking it was too quiet, so I gave masterwork reborn a try and I get the same result. I might just have to make a new world with tons of megabeasts/titans then I guess / : Are there any preffered world gens I can make that'l make seigers pretty much guaranteed aside from embarking smack dab on a necro tower? (and having lots of baddy neighbors)

I'd really like to avoid going back to previous vanilla/masterwork since I enjoy adventure mode features on this version quite a bit.

*Moved my edit link to the OP

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:15:24 pm by quekwoambojish »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:21:08 am »

I'm aware of the issue and work is being done on the spawnunit script to adress it in future. The mod will be able to trigger it's own custom invasions using it, so that slow-moving or missing armies on the world map are not a problem anymore.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:41:11 pm »

I'm aware of the issue and work is being done on the spawnunit script to adress it in future. The mod will be able to trigger it's own custom invasions using it, so that slow-moving or missing armies on the world map are not a problem anymore.

Thanks for the reply Meph! That sounds like a fantastic work-around.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:13:50 pm »

-snip-

((Moving this to the 40.24 questions thread for more exposure))
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:05:16 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:22 am »

Meph, this might also interest you.
For some reason in the entity files, PLAYER_FORTRESS is a functional site tag but no one uses them, not even Dwarves. Can setting the Goblins to only have a preference for player fortresses aid with the Siege drought in 40.24? 

setting [LIKES_SITE:PLAYER_FORTRESS] and removing all other preferences, even tolerance for an Entity's own default site, got me *a* siege in 40.24 at least. I don't know if that was just astronomical odds that I happened to get my only siege in six RL months with 40.24 while using those modded raws or not. Could never get it to happen again, but I haven't been playing DF much since then.

Some independent testing would be nice to have, I'd like to know if I'm going crazy or not. :P   
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:45 am »

It's definitely not slow-moving armies, they're quick as f

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:53:41 am »

I think it's simply that, as of now, the armies does not treat your for in higher priority instead of a city or the mountainhomes.

Other cities of the world aren't attacked every three months.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 04:43:20 pm »

Meph, this might also interest you.
For some reason in the entity files, PLAYER_FORTRESS is a functional site tag but no one uses them, not even Dwarves. Can setting the Goblins to only have a preference for player fortresses aid with the Siege drought in 40.24? 

setting [LIKES_SITE:PLAYER_FORTRESS] and removing all other preferences, even tolerance for an Entity's own default site, got me *a* siege in 40.24 at least. I don't know if that was just astronomical odds that I happened to get my only siege in six RL months with 40.24 while using those modded raws or not. Could never get it to happen again, but I haven't been playing DF much since then.

Some independent testing would be nice to have, I'd like to know if I'm going crazy or not. :P   

literally exactly what I snipped out of the post above you.

anyway did you get any noticeable results with that?   

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 04:45:35 pm »

literally exactly what I snipped out of the post above you.

anyway did you get any noticeable results with that?   
Still testing. But I think it works.

I'll try that with fortress defense next to get better results.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 05:13:48 pm »

oooh interesting

Pages: [1] 2