Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where not to put reveal.exe  (Read 1072 times)

Melloth

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf. The other white meat
    • View Profile
where not to put reveal.exe
« on: March 23, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

I wasn't sure in which part of the forum to note this, since it (mods and stuff) is not something that interests the creators, I figured I just put it here.

Somewhere I misread that reveal.exe should be placed in the DF folder. Well, don't.  :)
I had reveal.exe plus the 38c memory.ini file in a folder, and put that folder in the DF folder (lessay d:\games\df38c\reveal ) and the funny thing is, if you operate it from there, the magma furnaces and forge disappears from the Stuff to Build list
It took two tests to figure it out. 1. that it's probally not the mineral mod I used. 2. that it works fine outside the DF folder. This might sound obvious to some (in hindsight, putting stuff in folders like that doesn't sound like a good idea even to me!), but if the issue can be recreated by others (I do have a crazy old computer). it is worth mentioning in it's wiki section.

Is that the rush of water I'm hearing?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: where not to put reveal.exe
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

did you discover or have magma on your map?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

If you discover magma because of Reveal, you won't be able to build magma buildings. There was a utility that fixes this bug, but it doesn't work for the current version. I don't think it has anything to do with where you put it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

actually, could you post the 38c memory.ini file?  Call me an idiot, but I couldn't find it on the wiki ._.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Melloth

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf. The other white meat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

It took me a while to find it for you too. I just found out I wildly deleted everything yesterday(curse my shift+del habit!) and that reveal.exe was nowhere to be found! There is still an utility that fixes the lack of magma furnaces and forges though.. anyways, the up to date memory.ini file is here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User_talk:Rick/Old
and the fix utility here:  http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Utilities

Thanks for clearing up my confusion folks!  :)
I should've searched the forum database about it more thoroughly before blurting something silly.

Is that the rush of water I'm hearing?