Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A solution to having too much stone?  (Read 1436 times)

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A solution to having too much stone?
« on: December 07, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »

I'm in the process of building a magma complex, but the caldera is quite far from the rest of the fortress and the surface. Since my miners are legendary, the entire area was excavated and left a stone for each square, leaving me unable to place stockpiles( again, I'm about 100 tiles from the main complex) . I built craftdwarf workshops ( I have 3 of them working 24/7 in the area, but progress is not nearly quick enough). So I thought of a fix.

I'd excavate say a 5X5X5 area, leaving stacked stone and any eventual ore at the bottom level. I would then rebuild it out of blocks, leaving place for stockpiles near the smelters. Is this a good solution, or am I better off doing something else, like just making some more workshops ( my mason's is already over there). Is there a way to make my dwarves dump stuff in a channel so it stacks at the bottom?

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A solution to having too much stone?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

Use 'i' to open the activity zone window, make an activity zone over a channel, and make it a pit. Then select the ground beside the channel (with activity zoner) and make it a dump. Then go to orders, refuse orders and make 'dwarves chasm other'. Mark items/stones you don't want to be dumped and they should drop them in the nearest dump, that being the channel.

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm guessing the stone is reusable?
Or do I have to manually un-forbid it?

Also, can I make an ore stock pile at the bottom, so that I only need a 1 square big stock pile?

Thanks for the quick answers, I'm always amazed at the amount of traffic on this site!

[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: Gislamo ]

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:08:00 pm »

You don't even need a channel. Just use 'i' to designate a single square as the dump. Any items you have dumped will stack on that one square. Reclaiming the entire stack is easy as well, 'd' designate then 'c' reclaim that stack. Dumped items will continue to stack on that pile, your workshops will still be able to use those stones one the pile that have been reclaimed.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »

Or get my the toy mod and pound out  some serious sh**.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:46:00 pm »

Yeah, just use designate and use the reclaim/forbid thing on the dump. As Skanky said, you can use any accessible tile as a dump.

[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

Alternatively, you can leave the stone where it is (dwarves dont believe in the idea of "too much" stone).
Bins and barrels in stockpiles can be placed even if the tile is occupied by something else, so the stone wont interfere.
The only thing you could run into problems with is furniture.

[ December 07, 2007: Message edited by: Vengeful Donut ]

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

put a siege engine right in the middle and train yourself a legendary operator