Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Dwarves] Cannot figure out how to create magmalings  (Read 1118 times)

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Dwarves] Cannot figure out how to create magmalings
« on: July 23, 2015, 02:25:07 pm »

So i have been giving the masterwork mod a try and the manual has been a great help to learn all the new features but for the life of me i cannot figure out how to turn a changeling into a magma/waterling.

1) I researched/built the alchemist's laboratory
2) Made a stockpile with 6 rough blood of armok gems
3) pastured changelings on top of the workshop
4) ???

*None of the reactions related to the gems of armok show up and my apparently feeble googlefu has not been able to find a solution.

PS : I am using v34

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [Dwarves] Cannot figure out how to create magmalings
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 02:56:34 pm »

Try having the manager run reaction.  If it's vanilla reaction pathfinding bug, should fix it (as long as you haven't actually made stockpile or burrows restriction mistake).  If it's you not knowing reagents for reaction, error msg should give you a good hint.

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:03:28 pm »

Manager you say , will try immediatly

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:09:24 pm »

My game must be bugged since even in the manager screen the related reactions do not appear.

I searched for 'magmaling' 'waterling' 'changeling' 'blood' 'armok'...

No reaction appears for the transformation.

EDIT : to clarify , if i go into the alchemy laboratory options, i can see all the metal/glass/bone transmutations some available and some in red but nothing that is remotely related to the armok gems/changelings
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:13:20 pm by Rinkanu »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:20:31 pm »

Oh, OK, sorry.  I thought you meant reaction was red.

If they're just not there then could be the manual (or wherever you got info) is out of date. Which I mention because the whole magmaling thing sounds like an old fashioned sort of wonky work around to me.

Or, could indeed be a bug. I don't know dwarf mode well enough to say.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:22:15 pm by smakemupagus »

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:24:28 pm »

I appreciate the attempt xd

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 05:40:15 pm »

As far as I can tell from searching the raws, magmalings are no longer a thing.  Dwarves, warlocks, and succubus use something called a "magma well", a building which requires discovery of magma to unlock and a rough Blood of Armok.   

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 10:17:40 pm »

Yep. Magmalings were cut out a while ago.

Magma/Water Wells are the new ways those work, and as mentioned, need a Blood of Armok (Magma) or Tear of Armok (water) to create.

If I am remembering correctly, you must build them UNDER the spot you wish to fill, with a 1x1 hole over the well to a cleared out area above. When the reaction is run, it will spew said liquid above that 1x1 hole and fill it until 7/7 (so long as you run enough reactions of course).

It's also handy for surface-traps if you wanna spread ice across your surface, or even magma - but it's quite dangerous and messy to clean up.

I personally gave up on these functions and just use the Liquids function in DFhack (for smaller scale things, try to be legit for moats or such) as trying to acquire the gems for the wells can be EXTREMELY annoying if you lack them on the map as acquiring them from shops, is frustrating as all heck now that selling items to shops is gone for dwarves.

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:59:47 am »

Yep. Magmalings were cut out a while ago.

Magma/Water Wells are the new ways those work, and as mentioned, need a Blood of Armok (Magma) or Tear of Armok (water) to create.

If I am remembering correctly, you must build them UNDER the spot you wish to fill, with a 1x1 hole over the well to a cleared out area above. When the reaction is run, it will spew said liquid above that 1x1 hole and fill it until 7/7 (so long as you run enough reactions of course).

It's also handy for surface-traps if you wanna spread ice across your surface, or even magma - but it's quite dangerous and messy to clean up.

I personally gave up on these functions and just use the Liquids function in DFhack (for smaller scale things, try to be legit for moats or such) as trying to acquire the gems for the wells can be EXTREMELY annoying if you lack them on the map as acquiring them from shops, is frustrating as all heck now that selling items to shops is gone for dwarves.

Ah thanks for the heads up

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 03:57:52 am »

What version is the last version that has magmalings / magmabottle filling enabled?

Was really looking forward to playing with these creatures + magmatankers but none of these are available in the final df v34 version

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:05:16 pm »

I don't know when dwarves last used them.  The historical patch notes are somewhere around here on the forum.

Orcs still use magmatankers & bottles (but never have used magmalings).

It would only be a small project for you to copy the corresponding Entity tokens to the Fluidcaster building to the race of your choice.  The only complexities I can think of is that you'll need to give your race a way to make the Fluidcaster blueprint, or modify the building requirements so it's no longer needed; and that you'd have to also separately copy some ways to make use of the bottles.  (although tbh you can do everything you need with 'tankers...)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:07:31 pm by smakemupagus »