Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: My first goblin siege - a major disappointment  (Read 4586 times)

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first goblin siege - a major disappointment
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 03:28:00 am »

If goblin attacks are not enough, you can piss off elves and humans.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 11:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>

Ah, you lucky bastard. I try not to kill my nobles intentionally unless they really really piss me off, and not one single one of mine has even been close to a goblin siege. Instead, my 50 stupid civilians (including legendaries) all line up for a chance to become a pincushion. Damn my poorly designed entrance hall.

I did lose a gem-demanding governor to a cave river flood though!

[ August 25, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]</STRONG>

The Tax Collector didn't die right away, so he was taken to my barracks to heal. My best marksdwarf was in the barracks when the Collector went berserk. So the moment he went nuts, he caught yet ANOTHER bolt and died. And quite conviniently there was a peasant in the barracks too, so he took the Tax Collectors corpse outside to rot... A coincidence? I think not  :p

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Retales:
<STRONG>I just got my third goblin invasion (actually, I'm playing it right now), and now it's starting to look like real war. So far most of my military has been killed by the goblin machinegunners, and the rest of my dwarves (civilians) seem to be on suicide-mode. They just run one after another out into an arrowy death. God have mercy -_-

There's this thread on the suggestion forum: To War. By heavens, you really need to be able to designate a GTFO-zone, where the civilians arent allowed to go.
</STRONG>

IIRC, there is a GTFO-zone designation for the next DF version.

Personally, I have all my civilians in a big military group, and when the goblins arrive, I activate the entire group (Their station is set to the dining room near the chasm). I also flip closed drawbridges outside which control entry to the fort. The one that takes the longest is usually the road <-> trade depot <-> fort connection. (I also set the option to make dwarves stay inside, of course)

Occasionally someone is stupid and stands out there, or does the entrance dance while trying to grab something from outside, but usually taking them out of the group and deactivating them fixes that. It's a bit odd.

When the last siege arrived, I actually had everything all locked up already, so I didn't need to mess with getting the dwarves to go inside. (I had it mostly locked when the elven caravan arrived, then locked it completely when they showed up on the map. The goblins arrived shortly thereafter.)

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 2 [3]