Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orcish child labor  (Read 927 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
Orcish child labor
« on: July 23, 2015, 09:30:57 pm »

I have a one year old Orc child that has taken it upon himself to become a master leatherworker. He just keeps making leather backpacks. I have another leatherworker already, but this child made it to master in a little under a few days. He literally just came into the leather works and kicked the guy out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Orcish child labor
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:19:39 pm »

Ya, it's a side effect of Artisan caste orcs (and Corsairs, to give another example -- you quite often end up having a kid be the master longshoresorc at the docks) having a point of native skill in the things they are good at.  It's not really intended, but I've never really been able to decide whether I think it's a problem or not.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:27:12 pm »

I thought it was hilarious. Idk. I can't directly put them to work, so it's not really a problem I think. Is there a tag to make them learn skills faster? Could just make artisans pick up those skills quicker rather than having the skill by default, though I don't do modding so I've no idea whether or not that's even possible

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 06:41:12 pm »

Yes, they do learn them faster too.  The point in native skill is not really that important, but one nice bit is it makes it so the player doesn't have to know/remember which skills are accelerated.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 04:34:43 pm »

Is there a way to script it to have the labor disabled until they reach a certain age? Like, age 0-4, they still have the native points, but the labor itself is disabled until they're 5.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 05:15:02 pm »

No, or in any case i don't plan to have scripts for trivial things when they're not needed, because they require much more debugging & maintenance than anything else.  And development time too, although that wouldn't be my problem ;)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »

Ah yeah like I said man it's not an issue I don't think. Was just wondering.