Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 51875 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #480 on: November 19, 2019, 04:11:56 am »

Every time I feel like building something vaguely plane-like, I'm reminded how temperamental the air AI can be.  Turning via banking is basically impossible, I didn't bother trying with this plane.  Half the time the set altitude is more a suggestion, and the plane either lawn darted into the water, or climbed into deep space.

pid is the answer usually. anyway I've a small working plane that does bombing run and ai controls perfectly, if you need a sample

in other news: where the heck can I find where to set ammo ejector azimuth now? it doesn't show in the missile part configuration screen.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 19, 2019, 10:41:49 am »

If I'm going to use PID, why not just drop the wings and go pure thruster craft?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 19, 2019, 11:06:16 am »

well it's cheaper and it's safer against ir seekers. still the control they send to vehicles without pid terrible. with the new ai UX you can see desired and actual and it's either slow and underdampened or fast and resonating.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 19, 2019, 12:55:10 pm »

Control surfaces on planes are nice for the same reason as wings: with them you just need forward thrust.  Their only real weakness is that the force the exert is pretty weak if close to the CoM which encourages you to put them in exposed places.

Some of the customization options on APS were taken away, overclocking for example.  Wouldn’t be surprised if ejection azimuth can’t be customized any more.  Don’t know what it was before but currently ejection takes the form of a simultaneous shotgun blast in a cone.  With very little force so they’ll start falling straight down, but they also despawn quickly.

IME with the current APS balance, ejection safety fuses are the way to go.  They’re capped out at 100mm length, so up to 1/5th the size of a normal piece depending on gauge, and that 100mm I believe still contributes the same weight towards kinetic damage as any other normal piece.  Also the way autoloaders and ammo clips are priced favors longer, high caliber shells.

Edit: also random fun fact, missiles work the same way where support pieces on larger missiles are smaller than a single pieces size.  You can customize what the remaining space is used for.  So for example a medium missile with thruster>fins x 2>fuel x 3> regulator x 2 > safety fuse > guidance gives you a missile that lasts forever and still can still produce a decent HE explosion.  (Note: just example, not a good design)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:01:31 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 27, 2019, 12:26:54 pm »

Over in the devtest there's cluster missiles now.

You can stuff smaller missiles in your bigger missiles, so you can spend thousands of ammo while you spend thousands of ammo.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 27, 2019, 03:58:02 pm »

I guess that would let you shoot down fighter planes from 5+ kilometers away.  Not that combat at that range is even slightly engaging.

BTW if anyone has any designs they want to share there’s a Bay12 FTD faction thread.  This will be my last time plugging it but I think the link might have been lost in the previous page. The more the merrier.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33]