Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671950 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5745 on: January 19, 2018, 05:31:59 pm »

Hydroponics lvl IV feed 1 organic pop for 0.5 energy, Power plant lvl IV feed 1 synthetic pop for 1 energy. Paradise domes are incomparably good, because at base they feed 1 organic pop for 0.5 energy, but the additional 2 unity and the +5% happiness makes it so that they increase the productivity of the entire planet and more than pay themselves off!

I agree with the general thrust of the argument that food is relatively unimportant, but this seems to be super ignoring the opportunity cost of the hydroponic farm. A better comparison is 5 organic pop for 7.5 energy because if it wasn't a farm it could be a power plant. Which is less efficient then the 5 for 5 that synths get. You then need a +50% bonus to food production that isn't mirrored in energy, which nutrient replication doesn't quite level up too (in fact, the energy nexus buildings give +20%! So even if they started equal energy would be better! Ultimately you need farms to be on +3 food tiles to be worthwhile at max level. Not impossible certainly, but not easy!) All that and as you yourself say, late game you can often end up with a LOT of energy, which makes this comparison tip even further towards energy, since this acts as an efficient dump for it. Gardens are good for sure. Although, as you also say, the unity eventually ends up useless! At which point you have to question if the happiness is worth it. I think the answer is generally going to be on some planets and set ups yes and some no.

I hope they eventually add more late game uses for unity. I recently played a mod (forgot the name, but it's fairly popular afaik so probably you guys know it already) that added late game buildings that gave a ton of science but had huge unity upkeep costs. To the point where it wasn't possible to put one on each planet. It stuck me as a really good idea and use for late game unity. Just, big things in the late game that constantly drain it.

The current planet crackers might be an example of an area where this could be applied. Maybe instead of a hard limit of 1, they cost somewhere between 300-500 unity per month to upkeep? After all, keeping up the literal ability to destroy a planet seems like it should be somewhat decisive and worthy of constant evaluation.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:41:20 pm by Criptfeind »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: January 19, 2018, 05:36:10 pm »

How about we try to settle this in a mass multiplayer game?  I know there would be an element of random generation that would affect things, but we could get a fairly decent look of things.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: January 19, 2018, 06:18:32 pm »

This kind of reminds me of the various dominions balance arguments.  My guess is that different sides of this argument are playing with different galaxy size and civ density options.

Synths give you a big power spike when you convert all your pops, but they make it somewhat difficult to expand your pops.  They also hurt you in the habitat game simply because the minerals you spend on robots could also be spent on habitats.

The perspective I'm coming from is someone who plays single player and notices that most games get "resolved" early on when a couple obvious super powers emerge and start snowballing.  So as the perk path with the more powerful 1st level perk, and the more "front loaded" 2nd level perk, I would argue that synths are better, since they more rapidly get you to that point where no one can match you and you snowball easily.  As long as you have a good chunk of the galaxy already fully populated by the time you ascend, the awkwardness of building robots isn't going to put you back as much as the huge production boosts and the conversion of your existing leaders into immortals.  Maybe MP works differently than SP and games go long, I dunno.

Of course, an additional component of my perspective is that I don't play the game one-planet because I think that's an exploit and I might as well learn to play without it because its probably going to get patched.  So I tend to expand out over the course of the entire game.  So to someone who plays one planet, pop growth speed is very important, they have few existing pops that they need to modify and a lot of research points with which to do it.  And of course, they get to that magic 4th ascension perk way way way faster than a more conventional strat would.  But playing more normally, by the time you'll have a 4th ascension perk you have a lot of pops, so that power spike you get from converting all your weak organic flesh into ultraproductive synths is more pronounced.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5748 on: January 19, 2018, 06:57:36 pm »

I agree with the general thrust of the argument that food is relatively unimportant, but this seems to be super ignoring the opportunity cost of the hydroponic farm. A better comparison is 5 organic pop for 7.5 energy because if it wasn't a farm it could be a power plant.
That opportunity is lost if the power plant built in the stead of farm to support a synthetic population; the farm supported more pops for less energy cost whilst providing the additional growth benefit, coupled with the efficiency lost in synthetics being unable to use any food bonus tiles. 2 food tiles are ubiquitous; if you must use it for energy or for food, you would as an organic rather use it for food. The power plant lvl IV with maximum building efficiency (so energy nexus & stock exchange) would yield 5 x 1.3 energy, or 6.5 energy. In a purely synthetic state this would mean two such tiles would provide for 13 synthetics. An organic state however would be able to use that food, and thus with hydroponics lvl IV and an agrarian pop with nutrient replication would yield (5 + 2) x 1.3, or 9.1, meaning two such tiles would provide for 18.2 organics, at the cost of 5 energy - which is just under the difference between what agrarian farms & power plants can support in their respective populations.

But if you go for the pathways available to organics with access to slavery or harvest, things get a little spicier. In the previous example, food production is more efficient, but the resources gained in the competitive advantage are offset by the energy cost, if you for the sake of heuristics ignore the effect on population growth gained by the expenditure of potential energy.
An agrarian slave working on a lvl IV hydroponics farm with the slave processing facility & nutrient replicators on a 2 food tile makes 7 + 50% or 10.5 food per tile. This would be equal to a synthetic Empire utilizing maximum efficiency power plants on a 2 energy tile, but for the organic state - the organic state is capable of utilizing the maximum efficiency of both food & energy tiles, an option unavailable to purely synthetic ones. This is why the opportunity cost is not comparable, because the opportunity is unavailable to the purely synthetic state.

While planetary modifiers affect this about equally (with hazardous weather being just slightly inferior in causing -5% happiness alongside +20% energy gain, whilst lush causes only positive effects with +10% habitability & +20% food), there is the one notable modifier of titanic lifeforms being harvested available - which provides +100% food to the planet. This modifier is broken, there is no reason not to take it (unless it's really early game and you can't defend your planet against titanic lifeforms. Or perhaps you want them working for you). There is no comparable modifier for energy.
Not to be understated is the paradise dome's +5% happiness. +2.5% bonus to every resource production will easily overcome any gain from having built a power plant instead.
Processing as livestock is notable for being hilarious, but it's more of a novelty than a useful strategy.

Tl;dr; it always comes back to the problem that organic states can use all the advantages of synthetics alongside all the advantages of organics, whilst synthetics cannot. The addition of machine worlds to the roster of synthetics has given them more purpose to exist, but imo synthetics still need more exclusive bonuses to justify becoming them, instead of just using them or starting as them.

All that and as you yourself say, late game you can often end up with a LOT of energy, which makes this comparison tip even further towards energy, since this acts as an efficient dump for it. Gardens are good for sure. Although, as you also say, the unity eventually ends up useless! At which point you have to question if the happiness is worth it. I think the answer is generally going to be on some planets and set ups yes and some no.
The happiness is always worth it, there is never an instance where you do not want every single one of your pops to be at 100% happiness, because they'll be drifting towards your ethics and giving +20% to every single resource production. The answer is to every planet: Yes, absolutely it is worth it. As for energy dumping, it's much better to dump that into more fleets than pops

I hope they eventually add more late game uses for unity. I recently played a mod (forgot the name, but it's fairly popular afaik so probably you guys know it already) that added late game buildings that gave a ton of science but had huge unity upkeep costs. To the point where it wasn't possible to put one on each planet. It stuck me as a really good idea and use for late game unity. Just, big things in the late game that constantly drain it.
Also the addition of capital ships which cost unity to maintain in the more ships mod. Having unity be like that is just a great idea

The current planet crackers might be an example of an area where this could be applied. Maybe instead of a hard limit of 1, they cost somewhere between 300-500 unity per month to upkeep? After all, keeping up the literal ability to destroy a planet seems like it should be somewhat decisive and worthy of constant evaluation.
Would probably also be cool then if you could get into negative unity, instead of just 0 unity, indicating the appearance of disunity within your Empire

This kind of reminds me of the various dominions balance arguments.  My guess is that different sides of this argument are playing with different galaxy size and civ density options.

Synths give you a big power spike when you convert all your pops, but they make it somewhat difficult to expand your pops.  They also hurt you in the habitat game simply because the minerals you spend on robots could also be spent on habitats.
I'd say Synths are pretty good for populating habitats though once your industrial base can accommodate the building costs. Delicious research and energy production synergies with synths pretty good

The perspective I'm coming from is someone who plays single player and notices that most games get "resolved" early on when a couple obvious super powers emerge and start snowballing.  So as the perk path with the more powerful 1st level perk, and the more "front loaded" 2nd level perk, I would argue that synths are better, since they more rapidly get you to that point where no one can match you and you snowball easily.  As long as you have a good chunk of the galaxy already fully populated by the time you ascend, the awkwardness of building robots isn't going to put you back as much as the huge production boosts and the conversion of your existing leaders into immortals.  Maybe MP works differently than SP and games go long, I dunno.
The first psionic perk makes all of your pops give +5% research, access to the psionic leaders & the shroud, the first biological perk gives you +2 trait points and cuts modification costs, with both costing you cheap society points instead of valuable engineering ones. Both of these offer better than +20% habitability from cybernetic and offer better long term research options, with the added benefit of not wiping out all your species specializations, and with psionic especial mention must be given that there no need to establish hegemony early on. Thus for example if you reach the point where building robot pops is not a hassle, you're already at the point where no one can stop you, and the ascension perk can be better spent on the late-game focused perks. If you have not, then psionic & biological offer the mechanics needed to maximize research; especially with whisperers in the void, or the option to call the apocalypse, double your everything & make bid for hegemony/watch the end kill your enemies.

Of course, an additional component of my perspective is that I don't play the game one-planet because I think that's an exploit and I might as well learn to play without it because its probably going to get patched.  So I tend to expand out over the course of the entire game.  So to someone who plays one planet, pop growth speed is very important, they have few existing pops that they need to modify and a lot of research points with which to do it.  And of course, they get to that magic 4th ascension perk way way way faster than a more conventional strat would.  But playing more normally, by the time you'll have a 4th ascension perk you have a lot of pops, so that power spike you get from converting all your weak organic flesh into ultraproductive synths is more pronounced.
Playing normally, one should not run into any trouble getting to the 4th ascension perk by prioritizing all the unity increasing traditions in the right order, relative to your expansion. One planet is wonky as hell, and actually decreases in efficiency compared to a core-sector strategy when you start getting T3 & T4 research, and a one system strategy is mostly just viable for Sol because it has Mars and lots of Habitat space to build additional research labs, but I think that's another issue entirely lol

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: January 19, 2018, 07:00:49 pm »

So apparently the Stellaris wiki, which I have been referencing constantly throughout all of this, is horrendously out of date. Like, several major patches out of date in some sections. So yeah. I am throwing my hands up in disgust and frustration and leaving this shit where it lies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5750 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:45 pm »

So apparently the Stellaris wiki, which I have been referencing constantly throughout all of this, is horrendously out of date. Like, several major patches out of date in some sections. So yeah. I am throwing my hands up in disgust and frustration and leaving this shit where it lies.
Could be worse. Could be the EU4 wiki

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: January 19, 2018, 07:40:12 pm »

I hope they eventually add more late game uses for unity.

One of the Dev Diaries made passing mention of additional uses to come, and the last one ended with a line saying the next one would be discussing "Unity Ambitions".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: January 19, 2018, 08:58:51 pm »

That opportunity is lost if the power plant built in the stead of farm to support a synthetic population; the farm supported more pops for less energy cost whilst providing the additional growth benefit, coupled with the efficiency lost in synthetics being unable to use any food bonus tiles. 2 food tiles are ubiquitous; if you must use it for energy or for food, you would as an organic rather use it for food. The power plant lvl IV with maximum building efficiency (so energy nexus & stock exchange) would yield 5 x 1.3 energy, or 6.5 energy. In a purely synthetic state this would mean two such tiles would provide for 13 synthetics. An organic state however would be able to use that food, and thus with hydroponics lvl IV and an agrarian pop with nutrient replication would yield (5 + 2) x 1.3, or 9.1, meaning two such tiles would provide for 18.2 organics, at the cost of 5 energy - which is just under the difference between what agrarian farms & power plants can support in their respective populations.

Whoh, hold on here, so you've got an agrarian pop, so it's only fair that the power plant is manned by a Superconductive robot. So your three energy plants on theoretical 2 food tiles produce 15x1.4=21 energy, or feeding 18.2 people with 2.8 energy left over. Two farms and an power plant to pay for them produce 18.2 food and an excess 2 energy. So, yeah, the food tiles still need to be 3 food to be worth it.

So, adding in all the bonuses, which for food means slavery bonuses, you get an extra +40% for slavery to my knowledge. So you'd get 7x1.7=11.9 food per tile, and it's only reasonable to add an extra +35% to the energy production of the power plant (Psi, Synth Governor, and Happiness). So you're making with 3 tiles enough food for 23.8 organics and an excess of 3.75 energy. Synths on the other hand get and additional +30% from synths+robot bonuses. +5% from the governor, once you've got 80% happiness or higher (easily done) your synths are making 15x1.85=27.75 energy in the same space. Enough for 23.8 robots an an excess of 3.95 energy. More efficient, even assuming 100% happy organics and less then 100% happy robots (fair assumption since Religions faction is easier to make happier I feel.)

Of course, in the course of looking up information for this I found that robots don't actually have a 1 energy upkeep like the wiki claims. The biggest deal is of course with the flesh is weak their upkeep is reduced by 20%.... Also in the game I was looking at for my numbers I have the Mechanist civic for an extra -5% (bad civic probably, but I was roleplaying) and their upkeep is .66 energy... Those numbers don't add up at all, so I have no idea how much energy upkeep robots have, but if you're going pure robots it's fair to say it's .8 or less.... That said, the same could be the case for organics and food, idk. I have another save where I have 304 organics eating 293 food. Wtf? All the calculations seem a little shaky.

If you got titanic life giving Titanic bonuses, I guess fair enough. You hit the titanic organic jackpot and you'd better make that a massive food planet!

The happiness is always worth it, there is never an instance where you do not want every single one of your pops to be at 100% happiness, because they'll be drifting towards your ethics and giving +20% to every single resource production. The answer is to every planet: Yes, absolutely it is worth it.

I just meant in cases where your happiness on a particular planet is over 100%. No point in 105% happiness! Also like, in general, on smaller planets, especially habitats, I'm not sure it's strictly true that you always want the 5% more then more production. Take the habitat when you've already maxed out your unity spending, is +2.5% production worth 8.3% of the surface area of the installation?

The first psionic perk makes all of your pops give +5% research, access to the psionic leaders & the shroud, the first biological perk gives you +2 trait points and cuts modification costs, with both costing you cheap society points instead of valuable engineering ones. Both of these offer better than +20% habitability from cybernetic and offer better long term research options, with the added benefit of not wiping out all your species specializations

It's not immediately obvious, but cybernetics gives an immediate +5% production bonus on all resources to all your pops from synthetic thought patterns, since they now count as robots. The habitability is... Well, it heavily depends on some factors to see if it's useful. If it's actually utilized it's +7ish% (the numbers get so small from habitability reducing production that they end up loosing significant portions in rounding) more production. But it'll range from 0% (homeworld) to like 2%(if you've got high habitability planets) to that 7%. It's not big, but it's not nothing.

The engineering research is an absolute killer though. I have to imagine that two otherwise equal empires, one goes cybernetic, the other goes psionic. The psionic one should realize that their rivals just spent upwards of several years of research to achieve a series of bonuses they got for free, and that they are now in an excellent position to beat their mechanical rivals in a war.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:05:35 pm by Criptfeind »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5753 on: January 19, 2018, 10:55:46 pm »

I wonder if anyone at Paradox has ever actually tried to play Stellaris.

Specifically, the way that space combat works is so bad as to suggest that it is the result of deliberate sabotage by a disgruntled developer.

I tried to blockade an enemy homeworld with no defenses other than its spaceport. My early-game fleet of 800 strength was in place. A single corvette was built and started heading out of system.

My fleet saw it, moved forward, vaporized it in a shot, and then just kept on going and started attacking the enemy spaceport, and was erased.

Is there a game designer in sweden or wherever Paradox is leaning back with a satisfied grin, thinking to him- or her- self, "that's some innovative game design right there?"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: January 19, 2018, 11:01:45 pm »

The engineering research is an absolute killer though. I have to imagine that two otherwise equal empires, one goes cybernetic, the other goes psionic. The psionic one should realize that their rivals just spent upwards of several years of research to achieve a series of bonuses they got for free, and that they are now in an excellent position to beat their mechanical rivals in a war.

Except the premise of "two otherwise equal empires" is ridiculous, which is why I find this entire discussion so tedious.

The only thing that matters in Stellaris is mass. More fleet cap and more energy for more bigger fleets. Bigger fleet generally wins, with some allowance for major technological or outfitting advantages. All this arguing about who's got 10% more engineering research is beyond silly.

Maybe some of this will change in 2.0, but I doubt it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: January 19, 2018, 11:02:07 pm »

As I had said before, why don't we possibly set up a multiplayer game tomorrow to do a live test of various strategies?  Maybe pick up this one mod for it so we can have a slightly larger galaxy (1400) with only players/fallen empires?  The lack of AI is for the sake of putting a limit of not being able to take the three 'core' planets Stellaris spawns you with, all other war demand options being fair game.  After all, it should be a bit easier for players to be able to get out of that mess if they work with other players rather than having to deal with the AI.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: January 19, 2018, 11:06:13 pm »

Specifically, the way that space combat works is so bad as to suggest that it is the result of deliberate sabotage by a disgruntled developer.

I tried to blockade an enemy homeworld with no defenses other than its spaceport. My early-game fleet of 800 strength was in place. A single corvette was built and started heading out of system.

My fleet saw it, moved forward, vaporized it in a shot, and then just kept on going and started attacking the enemy spaceport, and was erased.

Is there a game designer in sweden or wherever Paradox is leaning back with a satisfied grin, thinking to him- or her- self, "that's some innovative game design right there?"
I'm not sure what you were trying to do, there. You can't blockade a system in any meaningful sense. You can blockade planets by bombarding them, but to do that you need to destroy the enemy space port. And space ports are a pretty decent match for a 800 strength early-game fleet. I wouldn't take one on with less than 1k, and even then I'm bound to lose some ships.

Why didn't you retreat? Yes, the "blockade" would have ended, but you'd at least save some ships. Space ports are tough and relatively well-armed, but they can't "erase" a fleet that quickly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: January 19, 2018, 11:47:02 pm »

You can set your fleet to not do that.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5758 on: January 20, 2018, 01:05:07 am »

I was trying to pick off his corvettes as he reinforced his fleet, which was out of the capital at the time.

As for why I didn't retreat, that's because by the time I could, all my units were dead.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: January 20, 2018, 10:14:37 am »

Have you tried Glavius's Ultimate AI Megamod? It makes the AI less moronic, which is helpful.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 632