Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1670127 times)

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5910 on: February 25, 2018, 12:14:42 pm »

I'm hearing a lot of stuff about the new patch. How are people getting along with Apocalypse?

Other than my gripe about how war exhaustion is calculated, it's great! Just remember to have lots of naval capacity

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: February 25, 2018, 01:14:08 pm »

Really enjoying Apocolypse, it basically adds all the modded stuff without being broken like the mods.
without being broken
what

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5912 on: February 25, 2018, 02:56:01 pm »

I can't overstate how much I am enjoying the combat changes. I might completely lose an engagement but lose no ships at all because they disengage before critical damage. They fly away and repair and come back for round two. Some admirals even increase the disengage chance, encouraging hit and run tactics.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: February 25, 2018, 03:11:45 pm »

You can also change something in your policies (might be called war doctrine) to hit and run tactics to increase your disengage chance. Even just watching the fights is more enjoyable with all the corvettes zipping around while my capital ships hang back and fire. Though I wish you could make more in depth choices in that regard, like having your corvettes target only the largest ships or something.

I found a bug with the new troop transport behavior. If you have primitives around and you are hostile with them  (due to using the new abduction style bombardment on them) your transports will auto-invade if you happen to be sending your fleet through their system. I was mildly annoyed when I suddenly had a tiny planet full of angry slaves I really didn't want.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: February 25, 2018, 03:15:18 pm »

Really enjoying Apocolypse, it basically adds all the modded stuff without being broken like the mods.
without being broken
what

The majority of the ship class and titan mods etc were rather unbalanced and made the vanilla classes useless instantly, or the ai didn't even use them at all, at least in my experience.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5915 on: February 25, 2018, 03:20:08 pm »

Huge improvements, I must say. It could do with slower warscore increases simply because travel time is so long, but other than that it's really impressive.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: February 25, 2018, 09:24:14 pm »

without being broken
what

The majority of the ship class and titan mods etc were rather unbalanced and made the vanilla classes useless instantly, or the ai didn't even use them at all, at least in my experience.
Oh, you're talking about only the DLC stuff and not the patch in general. Fair enough then.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: February 25, 2018, 09:51:09 pm »

without being broken
what

Oh, you're talking about only the DLC stuff and not the patch in general. Fair enough then.

Patch in general makes the game play more like that one star wars mod I disliked for how it made star systems work... So... Yeaaah...

War also got tedious as hell, if I'm not careful I'll actually lose a system or two while watching a science ship float around.

Otherwise I kinda like it. The starbase is interesting.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5918 on: February 25, 2018, 10:04:00 pm »

I wonder what Stellaris would be like if combat was more abstracted, and instead of watching two buckets of marbles scatter into each other, combat was all about managing masses of abstracted ships more in line with stuff like HOI, CK or EU, and was altogether secondary to the actual management of the Empire.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cos I think when they make Stellaris II they should either make combat actually meaningful or else stop focusing on the superificality of smashing bricks together and more on the management of a nascent interstellar Empire

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: February 25, 2018, 10:24:52 pm »

I wonder what Stellaris would be like if combat was more abstracted, and instead of watching two buckets of marbles scatter into each other, combat was all about managing masses of abstracted ships more in line with stuff like HOI, CK or EU, and was altogether secondary to the actual management of the Empire.
Cos I think when they make Stellaris II they should either make combat actually meaningful or else stop focusing on the superificality of smashing bricks together and more on the management of a nascent interstellar Empire

I've played games like that, and it tends to be very, very boring. Space 4X games tend to lean very heavily on the whole "research military tech, design your ships, watch them blow stuff up and be blown up in turn rather spectacularly" cycle because a lot of other concerns are absent. The concepts of terrain and geography are limited at best (usually not much more than hyperlanes/jump points/natural wormholes/limited life support range to create barriers and choke points, "this bit is in a nebula which means -50% to shields and sensors", and maybe something like Aurora where black hole systems will suck in and destroy ships with insufficiently powerful drives) because space is big, open, and empty in a way that really doesn't mesh with terrestrial grand-strat norms.

There's also the lack of established historical background and relationships that you'd have in other PDX games. You can see that they tried to go the "develop history and galactic politics as the game progresses", but not really any more so than similar titles.

Basically, if you reduce ships and combat to "press factory to make bigger numbers, point pile of numbers at enemy numbers" you find yourself with a lackluster industry/logistics manager. Aurora aside, it's usually not terribly complex or difficult to manage.

Space 4X has a heavy focus on the exploration and combat elements because those are what it's best at. The space politics and nation-building is characteristically not that interesting and tends to exist largely to enable the former bits because that's the only reason anyone would care about it. The only way games in that vein like Neptune's Pride worked was by making it competitive multiplayer where every party involved was an absolute bastard of a human player trying to screw over every other player without getting dogpiled. GalCiv II pointed in the right direction by having AI that got harder with increased difficulty because the higher settings were clever strategists that would actively plan complex political strategies to secure different types of victory.

So yeah. Mainly lack of competition from dumb AI. There's no inherent challenge in smashing abstract doomstacks against AI that won't be as efficient at the macro game as you, so most of the fun is had in playing with ship designs and watching them shoot pretty lights.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: February 25, 2018, 10:28:25 pm »

I wish combat lasted more than 2 seconds...thats my only wish. There is no time for reinforcements or anything of that sort.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5921 on: February 26, 2018, 01:43:38 am »

I've played games like that, and it tends to be very, very boring. Space 4X games tend to lean very heavily on the whole "research military tech, design your ships, watch them blow stuff up and be blown up in turn rather spectacularly" cycle because a lot of other concerns are absent. The concepts of terrain and geography are limited at best (usually not much more than hyperlanes/jump points/natural wormholes/limited life support range to create barriers and choke points, "this bit is in a nebula which means -50% to shields and sensors", and maybe something like Aurora where black hole systems will suck in and destroy ships with insufficiently powerful drives) because space is big, open, and empty in a way that really doesn't mesh with terrestrial grand-strat norms.

There's also the lack of established historical background and relationships that you'd have in other PDX games. You can see that they tried to go the "develop history and galactic politics as the game progresses", but not really any more so than similar titles.

Basically, if you reduce ships and combat to "press factory to make bigger numbers, point pile of numbers at enemy numbers" you find yourself with a lackluster industry/logistics manager. Aurora aside, it's usually not terribly complex or difficult to manage.

Space 4X has a heavy focus on the exploration and combat elements because those are what it's best at. The space politics and nation-building is characteristically not that interesting and tends to exist largely to enable the former bits because that's the only reason anyone would care about it. The only way games in that vein like Neptune's Pride worked was by making it competitive multiplayer where every party involved was an absolute bastard of a human player trying to screw over every other player without getting dogpiled. GalCiv II pointed in the right direction by having AI that got harder with increased difficulty because the higher settings were clever strategists that would actively plan complex political strategies to secure different types of victory.

So yeah. Mainly lack of competition from dumb AI. There's no inherent challenge in smashing abstract doomstacks against AI that won't be as efficient at the macro game as you, so most of the fun is had in playing with ship designs and watching them shoot pretty lights.

I agree with the principle, but I believe that the lack of good non-combat challenges to space 4xes comes from a lack of focus on the concept. Star Trek is the closest we get to a series focused away from combat, and even then it has a lot of shootin'. I think that there's plenty of room for a 4x to play with non-combat-focused design. Admittedly, it probably wouldn't be Stellaris.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: February 26, 2018, 08:09:08 am »

I don't disagree, but it is so characteristic (and there's been so little work done on expanding noncombat systems) that even trying would risk alienating much of the audience if you didn't also devote a lot of time and resources to developing the mainstays, which spoils any particular non-combat focus.

The only two examples I can think of are Aurora (because the logistics and empire management were so involved that you had to enjoy them to some degree if you wanted to get to combat), and GalCiv I/II (which used exclusively pre-build civs with established, canonical relationships, good non-combat AI, and half-decent mechanics for cultural and diplo victories).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5923 on: February 26, 2018, 09:35:50 am »

I suppose a bit of it could also be down to how we may need to wait until everyone has supercomputers for gaming rigs before we can have a dank space grand strategy which puts the scale and 3 dimensions of space to good use

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: February 26, 2018, 11:03:37 am »

Honestly, if they had properly developed factions a day sectors as political entities rather than just gamey mechanics for optimizing your numbers, and they'd got a proper trade system in and maybe at least a EU level of espionage, the game would be able to stand up a lot better than it does without relying on the combat. Which would be good since the tactical gameplay is extremely bare bones as well and is pretty irrelevant compared to the strategic level.
I suppose a bit of it could also be down to how we may need to wait until everyone has supercomputers for gaming rigs before we can have a dank space grand strategy which puts the scale and 3 dimensions of space to good use
Processor speed isn't the reason we don't have 3D. A because of the inability to portray it effectively without clear points of reference (that is, in a vacuum) on a flat screen, and because it's tough for the programmers to think that way. If the latter problem was solved (by ubiquitous 3D displays of one sort or another) then we would probably see more true 3D eventually,  as it would become worthwhile to overcome the development hurdle.

As for the matter of scale, there's two problems there. For one, massive scale means massive wait times, unless you implement quality of life mechanics which then also reduce the appearance of scale. And then, the average player doesn't just want scale, they want it rendered at a graphical quality sufficiently similar to other contemporary games.
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 632