Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658827 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6045 on: March 07, 2018, 03:33:34 pm »

You do but they work differently now. It's much faster to use a gateway than conventional FTL + Jump Drive in most situations, and all situations outside of wartime - the JD helps more with strategic maneuvering than giving a speed boost. Of course a gateway costs something like 15,000 minerals to build, so it definitely has its uses.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6046 on: March 07, 2018, 04:10:53 pm »

I am very much offended by the removal of wormhole FTL.
You can always go back and play an old version?
I've heard that before and it's literally the shittiest thing you could come up with. Go back to play without the much needed improvements in other departments. I wouldn't even complain if they left it as optional, while hyperlanes being the default required for Ironman, or I dunno, let it be easily restorable with mods, which it isin't.
Then your only option is to find or make a mod that alters the game to suit your taste, or get used to the changes. I don't see what good posting about how offended you are does, as if that matters at all.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: March 07, 2018, 04:14:16 pm »

Because they paid for the game and are annoyed at how the changes impact their enjoyment of it?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6048 on: March 07, 2018, 04:16:31 pm »

Because they paid for the game and are annoyed at how the changes impact their enjoyment of it?
They can still play the game they paid for. It's the previous version. Being "offended" over a change in a video game is one of the most ridiculous things I can imagine. Deal with it, or play the old way, or mod it to fit your preference. Being offended serves no purpose and gets nothing accomplished.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: March 07, 2018, 04:43:45 pm »

Except that Paradox sells its games on a reputation of continued support and expansion.  The support part is being nice - they eventually patch the many bugs they ship with.  But that's okay, because they do patch them eventually, and expand the mechanics more than almost any other developer.  Even if you don't buy the expansions!  It works out well.

But if you revert, you're left with a buggy game that's designed to be fixed and expanded, but never will be.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6050 on: March 07, 2018, 04:47:11 pm »

Except that Paradox sells its games on a reputation of continued support and expansion.  The support part is being nice - they eventually patch the many bugs they ship with.  But that's okay, because they do patch them eventually, and expand the mechanics more than almost any other developer.  Even if you don't buy the expansions!  It works out well.

But if you revert, you're left with a buggy game that's designed to be fixed and expanded, but never will be.
Paradox has an equally strong reputation for radically altering gameplay within their games. Anyone buying on reputation should be used to that.

The change (not removal) of wormholes doesn't drastically affect gameplay balance, it just removes one form of customization. I'm sure there will be mods before long that add it back in, if not already out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: March 07, 2018, 05:26:59 pm »

I haven;t had much time to play into late game, can't you build stargates later?
Only in designated locations.

Unless something has changed since the release of 2.0 you can build your own gateways as well as rebuilding the ones you find. I didn't run into any limitations to where I could build them in my own space. (you do need the appropriate mega structure techs and ascension perk though)

Don't you get jump drives anyway by that point? I haven't gone into 2.0 late-game yet.

Jump Drives come with a pretty hefty malus this patch though. They take 120 days to recharge and impose -50% damage and -50% sublight speed while recharging.

As for Wormhole FTL: you can build your own Gateways once you've studied them and researched the appropriate tech.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: March 07, 2018, 06:43:47 pm »

Aye. It's worth noting that gateways also require friendly gateway on the other side, unlike the old wormhole stations.  Closed borders and a state of war will shut off gateway traffic from hostile powers.  As such, they aren't a full replacement for pre-2.0 wormholes, unlike warp which can be emulated with a dense hyperlane network. 

EDIT:
You can also mod the jump drive by tweaking the static modifiers: jump_drive_cooldown in the static modifiers governs the cooldown penalty, though I haven't located the actual cooldown period itself at a superficial glance.  If you do that, though, you'll want to tweak the AI parameters governing jump willingness quite a bit, though.  At present, it's rigged to avoid jumping its primary fleets into the black unless it has a significant overall force advantage; if you reduce the cooldown penalty, you should also try to reduce the force threshold as well.  I'd also still recommend a dense hyperlane network even if you don't use hyperlanes at all, if only because so many other things use hyperlanes for adjacency purposes. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:54:45 pm by Culise »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: March 09, 2018, 11:49:08 am »

I was also annoyed with the FTL changes, especially as I had a game in progress when the new version hit.  Who the hell breaks save compatibility in a released game?  I mean, sure, the save loaded, but it was completely unplayable. The changes to... well everything meant my economy didn't work, my empire wasn't even connected, etc.

I think people are entitled to be annoyed when they bought a game with 3 different kinds of FTL, and then the devs well after release decide oh wait, no we've decided 1 FTL method is better.  To go back to the Starcraft comparison, it's a bit like a couple years after release it's too hard to balance three distinct races, so now there's only protoss.  But don't worry! You can always stick with the old version, and never play with anyone else again.  Besides, some people say Protoss vs Protoss is the best way to play the game anyway, so this new version is objectively better.

Remember, stellaris is a game some people like to play multiplayer.  Generally it's a lot easier to play multiplayer games at the latest version, it's the easiest way to ensure everyone has the same version. And with almost any game, why wouldn't you want the newest version?  But now, the new version is a very different game, if you want to play stellaris with 3 FTL methods, you better hope you find other people to play with who also don't mind losing access to the new features that came with the change.

When I buy a game, I usually go with the current features to decide if I want the game.  So I sort of kind of expect that the features in the game I bought will not be completely removed at a random time in the future when the devs decide they want this to be a different game.  When the devs have a history of good support I assume this means I can overlook some bugs and strangeness, knowing the devs have a reputation for fixing this stuff.  I don't usually assume this means they are going to decide the released game doesn't actually work as is, and change it to a different game.

On top of that, they've been lying (or somehow didn't realize they were wrong) all this time that the AI doesn't cheat, and in fact it cheats hardcore by paying 1/2 maintenance costs.  So there's another feature the game was sold on, but this one never existed, so at least they didn't take it away from us...  Of course they loved wielding this claim as a "Git gud" stick on their forums.

So either the game I bought (Stellaris with 3 FTL methods) has been abandoned (This is the case if I decide to downgrade to 1.9 or whatever) and I will never receive a single fix to that game, or the game I bought (Stellaris with 3 FTL methods) has been taken away from me, and replaced with this new game (Stellaris with hyperlanes only).  Either way, paradox has screwed me, and not lived up to their reputation.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: March 09, 2018, 01:03:09 pm »

Been having a lot of fun with the new version.

Had a rough first start with 2.0, ended up abandoning that game after going into the Beta and having that shift a few things. It was already a bit messed up as I'd made a few early strategic errors due to not fully understanding the new systems. And I was using a race that is, inexplicably, bad. No idea why, they ok on paper. But neither myself nor the AI ever does well with them. No idea why. (Democratic Egalaterian/materialist/xenophile natural engineer croc people with syncretic crab people as proles. Not min/maxed sure, but no idea why they're terrible)

Anyway, started a new game with Space Dwarves. Space Dwarves are awesome. Militaristic Fanatic-Materialist Dictatorship with Mining Guilds and Functional Architecture. They are Industrious, Traditional, Enduring, Slow breeders, and Sedentary.

Started out in the middle of a cluster of nations east of Galactic Center on an Elliptical galaxy. Managed to keep all of them on at least neutral terms as I expanded around and managed to claim a few chunks of space with habitable planets. Also, conquered Earth very early on as it was going through WWII. Well...probably in the 50's or 60's by the time I actually conquered them, but whatever. So I had Dwarves and Humans (Alpine and Continental) and a whole host of suitable planets for them.

Bad news, though, both Marauder clans are very nearby. One was right near Galactic Center but on the other side of a neighbor. The other off somewhat near the western rim of the Galaxy with nothing but empty space between me and them. Fortunately, with no Rivals for the entire early game I only had to bribe them to leave me alone twice. And one of those times was with food, which the Earth makes abundant amounts of.

Looking at the hyperlane map I determined the best chokepoints I could and dedicatedly expanded out to claim my Empire. I didn't get an optimal set-up, as one of my neighbors expanded a bit quicker then I could in the West, but overall I was pleased. Knowing that I could face a great threat Mid-Game from the Khan, I set my focus on a very Dwarvenly pursuit: Fortifications. My tech went into Star Bases when available. I took the new Ascension Perk that added to the Starbase Cap. I took the two chokepoints I had settled on for my Eastern Front and I built them up to be strong enough to take on a Marauder Raiding fleet all on their own.

I kept peace with my neighbors, occasionally spending influence to boost diplomacy and exporting food all across the Galaxy (for credits mostly, as I had money issues for quite a while). The Grand Hall was strong, and our mineral wealth let us continue to build and build safe within our borders as the other empires struggled and fought around us. Eventually I created a Federation and firmed up the alliances around me. It was not until then, finally embroiled in the politics of the outside world, that we gained a Rival. An Inferior Rival, but a Rival nonetheless. They were the Western neighbors of one of my Federation Members. And these Rivals had claimed many systems from my Federation Member over the years during several wars of Conquest. I decided a war to liberate those planets was on my list of things to do.

As a footnote, I was amused to note that every single Federation Member has Purple in their colors.

Not too long after that I hit the tipping point of power, and my Empire started to rocket past all around me. I went from simply being one of the most powerful normal empires to the most powerful normal empire. Then I moved past the Marauder Clans. Only the Fallen Empires are stronger than the Dwarves. For now.

Safe and a bit bored, with only my new Habitat Construction to keep me occupied, we made a meaningless claim on the one system bordering us and the Rival and declared war. We sent two of our fleets down to punish them for their past atrocities. A third I kept in reserve should Marauders strike, due to the time it would take to pull a fleet back. We pushed through their defenses with barely any losses of our own and handily took back many, many systems that had been the rightful territory of our Federation Ally. The Dwarven Empire had been at peace for centuries, yes, but the Galaxy now knew our Might. We had not grown soft in our Halls.

So there I left it last night. The war over, justice prevailing, our lands and Federation Secure. Still solidly Mid-Game, but ready for anything the mid-game can throw at us.

It is time to prepare for the End-Game, whatever that might bring.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: March 09, 2018, 01:19:04 pm »

A titan that can web spaceships and breathes antimatter, obviously.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6056 on: March 09, 2018, 01:49:33 pm »

We better be able to export from our rome history to Crusader Kings II.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6057 on: March 09, 2018, 02:36:23 pm »

This game has been crazy. I started with life seeded and corporate dominion, fanatic materialist/xenophile.

I built up my initial world for crazy research and rushed droids tech, then colonize two neighboring planets (which were crazy lucky, they're size 24 and 25 and only 1 jump away each). I built those into mining bases manned completely by droids as I rushed the habitat tech. I found living metal under the ocean of one of the ice planets in Tiblic, so I was able to cut my cost of building habitats down by 20%. Things were going pretty amazing, despite being boxed in by a fanatical purifier pretty early on. I found an advanced cruiser from an event right at the start, and that held off early hostilities and soundly beat all the early pirates.  I managed to squeeze two science ships out of the area before the purifier boxed me in, and I have been carefully exploring the galaxy with them since.

For the last 15 years or so I keep getting Cybrex artifacts popping up in Yeedixa. I ended up getting 4 of those, which finished off my 6. Suddenly Cybrex homeworld, right beside me. I'm already only 4 years from developing mega engineering tech (I recently picked up master builders) and then I can claim that ruined ringworld and start rebuilding it.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064873856/screenshot/913540961404661960

Not only that, but I keep finding living metal EVERYWHERE. The one right by me, and 4 others across the galaxy as my ships explore. My last game I explored the whole map and never found any, in this game it's freaking everywhere. Other empires are going to end up getting most of them, though - I can't get any construction ships out. I mean I could focus on building a big navy and fight back the fanatic purifiers, they're only overwhelming in fleet capacity and power (lol), but I'm happy being all reclusive over here in a corner until I get jump drives and gate travel.

Anyone else have games where everything just seems to go right?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6058 on: March 09, 2018, 03:54:11 pm »

I was also annoyed with the FTL changes, especially as I had a game in progress when the new version hit.  Who the hell breaks save compatibility in a released game?  I mean, sure, the save loaded, but it was completely unplayable. The changes to... well everything meant my economy didn't work, my empire wasn't even connected, etc.
It was well publicized that the 2.0 update breaks all the things and they do not endorse bringing saves forward from 1.9. I believe a little splash screen even pops up the first time you load 2.0 which tells you this, and goes over the changes. You can still go back to the 1.9 update if you want and finish out that game.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: March 09, 2018, 04:06:53 pm »

Yeah.
There's a popup at the start of the game when you update that tells you what the update does, that it breaks your saves, and how to revert back to version 1.9 if you want to.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 632