Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671822 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6075 on: March 10, 2018, 05:40:29 pm »

This whole "you must build a station on every single system you want to claim" shit is utter bollocks.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: March 10, 2018, 06:11:07 pm »

This whole "you must build a station on every single system you want to claim" shit is utter bollocks.

It took some getting used to, but I like it a lot more than the imprecise growing borders of the past. One of the best additions of 2.0, in my opinion. Much easier to plan and strategize with this kind of expansion.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: March 10, 2018, 06:21:55 pm »

But are you still expected to "swiss-cheese" your empire by removing outposts? 
Literally asking for a friend, I'm still playing other things until these serious changes reach "release" status.

Kinda hoping that not-warscore/war exhaustion makes sense when I do find time to play this again.
(also hoping there's a zoom key, but I'm resigned to that trivial change being ignored)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: March 10, 2018, 06:23:37 pm »

Literally asking for a friend, I'm still playing other things until these serious changes reach "release" status.

Kinda hoping that not-warscore/war exhaustion makes sense when I do find time to play this again.
(also hoping there's a zoom key, but I'm resigned to that trivial change being ignored)
No, but your borders will never grow organically. Each station = 1 system. You will never delete them and they have no upkeep cost.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: March 10, 2018, 06:26:06 pm »

It took some getting used to, but I like it a lot more than the imprecise growing borders of the past. One of the best additions of 2.0, in my opinion. Much easier to plan and strategize with this kind of expansion.
Agreed. Though, as a minor change, I wish you could just do a right click on a system to que up the nearest/least busy constructor to set up a station, instead of having to go grab the constructor. Again, a minor change, but it'd help to alleviate a couple extra clicks of micro when growing your empire.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: March 10, 2018, 06:33:08 pm »

The outposts are supposed to be getting a pretty steep upkeep cost soon, actually. 1 energy credit a month.

I was worried about the removal of jump drives and wormholes, but I'm happy at what they've done with the new system... sort of.

My one major condemnation of it is that the current balance is extremely heavily skewed towards building tall. Building a wide empire can net you a lot of resources, but critically gimps your development. Unity and Research are squeezed hard, meaning that you end up behind everyone else, and your extra resources don't make up for this in any meaningful way because technology and traditions grant huge boosts to production.
Nothing important here, move along.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: March 10, 2018, 06:34:16 pm »

No, but your borders will never grow organically. Each station = 1 system. You will never delete them and they have no upkeep cost.
I did glean that the "territory bubble" system has been replaced by specifically claiming systems.  And initially those outposts had no upkeep, but don't they now?  Re:
* Increased energy upkeep of all Starbase sizes by +1. Outposts now cost 1 energy maintenance. (Why?)

Just in case anyone was so foolish as to suppose that the unity change might make it more viable to claim everything within your borders instead of making a swiss cheese empire.

And:
While that's true, research costs increasing proportionate to territory isn't a particularly unfair mechanic. If it helps, parse it as including the cost of retooling and distributing developments throughout your empire. If you want fast research, play small.
That's a good theory and that's how it's worked in the past, but at this point, dismantling the the less efficient outposts (creating the "swiss cheese empire") is giving you upwards of 20% research bonus for only about a 4% decrease to energy/minerals in a now somewhat famous example before the beta patch. Thoe specific numbers were aiming for an optimal ratio, so the exact numbers can be different depending on how zealous you are in purging inefficient outposts, but though the unity numbers are better now, the energy has only gotten worse. And science progresses you into the late game, a big difference in science takes a whole lot longer to rectify than a big difference in minerals - one good war can do that.
[SNIP]

Sorry if those mechanics already got patched out.  I *am* honestly expecting Paradox to be watching and adjusting these new mechanics, since I have real faith in them.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6082 on: March 10, 2018, 06:36:35 pm »

As of next version the whole 'swiss cheese' strategy will be soft punished. Pirate spawns will be increased or decreased based on your territory's level of consolidation and defense. Strong defenses and no gaps in territory means fewer pirate spawns, gaps and weak defenses means more.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: March 10, 2018, 06:38:49 pm »

A good solution, excellent!
She/they

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: March 10, 2018, 06:45:30 pm »

I've not tried it out yet to see how punishing it is, but the actual mechanical reasons why you would do it (systems have a hilariously huge penalty to ownership in the mid and late game) is still in place, so it's going to be a seesaw on how much you want to get punished by one system or another.

I don't think it's a good or final solution.

I delete systems all the time, and in the latest beta patch they do have an upkeep cost (which makes me want to delete them even more.)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: March 10, 2018, 06:46:30 pm »

The outpost energy upkeep is getting in the next patch (2.0.2), unless Paradox has decided to revert the change. As of the current patch (2.0.1) they are upkeep free.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: March 10, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »

That is ridiculous and i fully expect that the AI will not pay one unit of energy for their outposts.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: March 10, 2018, 07:09:14 pm »

As of next version the whole 'swiss cheese' strategy will be soft punished. Pirate spawns will be increased or decreased based on your territory's level of consolidation and defense. Strong defenses and no gaps in territory means fewer pirate spawns, gaps and weak defenses means more.

The recent game I was playing, I intentionally left one system adjacent to my capital unclaimed specifically to spawn pirates. It gives my fleets something to practice on. Said system is completely cut off from anywhere else, so there's no chance of any xenos from trying to pop in and say hi from there.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: March 10, 2018, 07:14:18 pm »

Yes. The 2.0.2 beta is a bit different than 2.0 because the penalty to unity is reduced, but they also added a penalty to energy, and the penalty to science, which is what mattered most, is unchanged.

It doesn't really, but they're continuously making small changes and it no longer results in auto-peace, so it's at least better than it was.

I feel like you probably failed to understand something. As of right now, both beta and not, the optimal thing to do is dismantle outposts in any system that doesn't make enough profit to overcome the penalties from number of systems - there's nothing called upkeep unless you're in the beta (which is available as an opt-in to anyone) but that doesn't change the fact that there's a downside to having them which must be overcome, and which often isn't.

Sorry if those mechanics already got patched out.  I *am* honestly expecting Paradox to be watching and adjusting these new mechanics, since I have real faith in them.
Keep in mind that Paradox has multiple teams. If this was Doomdark's team from the height of CK2's development, I'd agree with you. Wiz's team, though, tends to favor kind of fiddly gamey solutions to things that I find unsatisfying, and balance issues like this may be eventually rectified but what replaces it might not be that great either.

Well, there's two problems with that. For one thing, you'll have better defenses on average if you have a swiss cheese empire since you'll have fortifications at chokepoints but don't have lots of unfortified hinterland. But more importantly, pirates aren't actually a bad thing. Destroying pirates awards you resources and gives your admirals experience, and it's easy to do if you just leave a few police fleets at strategic locations during peacetime. It may involve more micromanaging and less fun, but from an optimization perspective it's definitely not a punishment.

I've not tried it out yet to see how punishing it is, but the actual mechanical reasons why you would do it (systems have a hilariously huge penalty to ownership in the mid and late game) is still in place, so it's going to be a seesaw on how much you want to get punished by one system or another.
The penalty isn't really higher later on - in fact each system increases your penalty by a proportionately greater amount when you have few systems. There are two main reasons why it's generally considered advisable to build up first and then delete later. One of them is the way influence costs are calculated. It's much cheaper to build an outpost if it's adjacent to a system that you already inhabit, and the influence cost just goes up further the further away a system is. The second is that space mining, which doesn't scale, can be an important and useful source of minerals early on, and the beginning is also when you're building a lot of infrastructure and fleets up to your capacity. This utility falls off a lot in the mid-game when most of what you'd want to build is built, and planetary production increases substantially. However, there are people who advocate disregarding these issues and just beelining for chokepoints and not bothering with anything along the way until you've already got your zone blocked off. This is not only viable, if you prioritize things that make your defensive stations better (such as the relevant ascension perk) it'll put you in a very strong position for the rest of the game. But the chance that you miss another alien empire within your area is higher, and you'll have difficulty paying for development within your borders and also providing a fleet bigger than a pirate-slayer, so that'll be a bit of a problem.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: March 10, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »

Yknow what would solve all of this silly outpost flappery? Researchable tech that improves (marginally) space-based resource and science generation. Maybe .5 min/energy/sci per upg.

Makes sense that if mining technology improves planetary mining it would have some effect on asteroid mining as well.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 632