Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671795 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6780 on: July 31, 2018, 12:59:29 pm »

I can figure out how much stuff a relatively friendly NPC empire has, because I go to "demand" and ask for more and more until they suddenly have -1000 for the offer. That means they literally do not have that much.

I was actually wondering if that was a way to cheese it to find out.  Admittedly, I've only ever offered a trade deal exactly once, which was to give away a lot of food I didn't need to a neighbor who had treated me nicely in the past, in exchange for an active sensor link.  They told me to shut up, so I haven't bothered to try trading since.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: July 31, 2018, 01:05:09 pm »

I can figure out how much stuff a relatively friendly NPC empire has, because I go to "demand" and ask for more and more until they suddenly have -1000 for the offer. That means they literally do not have that much.

I was actually wondering if that was a way to cheese it to find out.  Admittedly, I've only ever offered a trade deal exactly once, which was to give away a lot of food I didn't need to a neighbor who had treated me nicely in the past, in exchange for an active sensor link.  They told me to shut up, so I haven't bothered to try trading since.
I usually use trade to give away a surplus resource I have for a resource I need (usually energy) to buy something, and that usually goes pretty well.

In regards to the AI asking for food, what's happening is (as usual) the AI doesn't know how to build enough farms somehow. I actually have no clue how this still remains an issue with the AI considering how easy it is to get food and the fact that your own sectors spam it so much.

So as its population starves (which, by the way, is the only reason an AI empire will ever fragment), it has to look for external sources. So it sees you have tonnes of food, as you should. When you give it food for all of its money, this causes it to ignore the food problem even more, causing it to need even more food which makes it ask for more, etc. etc. It will never actually build more farms.
I guess the Stellaris devs read too much Dead Aid and White Man's Burden.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: July 31, 2018, 01:25:51 pm »

I usually use trade to give away a surplus resource I have for a resource I need (usually energy) to buy something, and that usually goes pretty well.
Yeah same, which is probably why people are trading away food so much.  Except that I don't mind keeping a food surplus, personally, since it's a nice way to slightly boost my empire (population growth) without micromanagement.  It would be really nice if mineral and energy surpluses had similar minor benefits, if only to let me relax about them :P

Instead of stacking 1:2 trader enclave deals, and desperately offering my bounty to other realms for research treaties or whatever.  I just hate seeing it flat-out wasted.
It's usually energy, since minerals are easy to blow on ships or habitats.  Policies are not enough of an energy sink ):

In theory I guess I should just go way over my supply limit until my energy budget is balanced, but bluh, and diminishing returns.

Re generously offering food for a sensor link:  Sounds like an issue with their government type, I would guess.  I seem to recall Honorbound Warriors for example refusing or resisting a lot of objectively good deals, due to their principles.  Maybe not a bad thing, since it supports their supposed character with actual mechanics.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: July 31, 2018, 02:10:19 pm »

That's entirely possible, but if I recall correctly the acceptance chance was rated above 90%.  90% isn't a guarantee, of course, but I was still surprised.

I probably should trade for energy more often, especially mid game when it just starts to become feasible to terraform planets but where it's prohibitively expensive to do on more than one at a time, and barren worlds are usually too expensive.  Energy is considered pretty cheap by the AI, from what I can tell.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: July 31, 2018, 02:40:20 pm »

Trading with other empires is *way* better than trading with enclaves, at least in cost/gain ratio.

Empires will always give better than 1:2. End game I usually have trader deals, though, because they are low-maintenance.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: July 31, 2018, 02:57:35 pm »

In regards to the AI asking for food, what's happening is (as usual) the AI doesn't know how to build enough farms somehow. I actually have no clue how this still remains an issue with the AI considering how easy it is to get food and the fact that your own sectors spam it so much.

So as its population starves (which, by the way, is the only reason an AI empire will ever fragment), it has to look for external sources. So it sees you have tonnes of food, as you should. When you give it food for all of its money, this causes it to ignore the food problem even more, causing it to need even more food which makes it ask for more, etc. etc. It will never actually build more farms.

From what I understand it's more complicated than that. It's not that they don't build enough farms directly, what happens is they get a spike of unrest from something - for example a fallen empire demanding a pop or whatever. Pops keep working the farms (which was specifically added to help the AI, btw) but they stop working in the mines so the AI runs out of minerals.

But since they are still working farms, pops keep growing until the current farms can't support them, at which point they start starving which increases unrest even more. But the AI has no minerals to build more farms, since the unrest shut the mines down, and since pops can't actually starve to death the problem won't fix it's self and the AI can't deal with it and enters and unrecoverable death spiral.

Side note - you can abuse this. If you gift the AI a large amount of food it won't build more farms (since it has food income), it's pop will grow, then once you stop gifting the food it quickly starts starving. It won't work every time, but there's a decent chance it will send their empire into an unrecoverable death spiral.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: July 31, 2018, 03:52:51 pm »

Give a man a fish, and you'll annihilate his economy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: July 31, 2018, 03:58:32 pm »

Teach a man to fish, and he'll DEUS VULT the galaxy via Morganite economics.

Aside:  I don't suppose the recent changes to Civilization Beyond Earth are, at all, a proper continuation of SM: Alpha Centauri?
It's a pretty high bar.

Apologies for somewhat off-topic, but I spend time on the /vg/ /civ4g/ thread which is mostly Stellaris.

Edit:  Link added, because it's... a wild ride.  Lots of unfiltered anger, heh.  Yet it provides perspective.
My stance is still that this is a game with potential, which I already had quite a bit of fun with.
...CWAL for the pop rework.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:07:42 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: July 31, 2018, 04:14:15 pm »

And so it was the we figured out how to weaponize food to dominate the galaxy. Forget making a stronger fleet, just pump out farms and hand out food before cutting them short, waiting for their death and culling the splinter states.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: July 31, 2018, 05:23:10 pm »

They never got around to making a AE:AI sequel, spiritual or otherwise . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: July 31, 2018, 07:01:23 pm »

the dribble continues

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: August 01, 2018, 01:26:30 pm »

That's entirely possible, but if I recall correctly the acceptance chance was rated above 90%.  90% isn't a guarantee, of course, but I was still surprised.
That's not acceptance chance, that's how much of a loss-deal they're willing to take. 100% means they'll accept 1:1 trades (or what they think is a 1:1 trade), 50% means you need to offer them twice as much to get them to accept, and 90% means you need to offer them a liiiittle bit more to get acceptance.

If you balance the trade so that the number in the middle is a green 1, that's literally a guarantee that they'll accept the trade.

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: August 01, 2018, 04:33:01 pm »

You know, I like the idea of having an alternative to using the hyperspace lanes that you could use... it just might drive your entire fleet insane. Or throw them 200 years into the future. Or turn your ships into space amoebas...

So you want someone to mod in a Probability Drive (as seen in the Hitchhikers Guide of the Galaxy)?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: August 01, 2018, 04:54:47 pm »

You know, I like the idea of having an alternative to using the hyperspace lanes that you could use... it just might drive your entire fleet insane. Or throw them 200 years into the future. Or turn your ships into space amoebas...

So you want someone to mod in a Probability Drive (as seen in the Hitchhikers Guide of the Galaxy)?
Closer to a Warp Drive than anything else.

Hope your Gellar Field's working!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: August 01, 2018, 05:07:25 pm »

I'd be happy with a way to stop calling Hyperlane Breaching "speculative" after centuries of using it safely and start using it on military ships.

Alternatively, a Colossus that served as a mobile Gateway would be cool.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 632