Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658933 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6810 on: August 04, 2018, 01:34:48 am »

arent there some robot empires that have humans as "pets" or are like making sure they are doing well? (some civic(?) that starts them with a 2nd race) i would guess them can get food for their non machine pops and trade it?

Rogue Servitors, yes. I mentioned them above; while they can make and store food, they cannot trade it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: August 04, 2018, 04:27:19 am »

I have to say, it is a shame Stellaris doesn't include a scenario creator akin to, off the top of my head, Age of Empires 2.  Have various domains of varying size and tech level prebuilt with events set up to occur with certain criteria, along with some custom win conditions (Leading a newly built Federation to taking out a large empire?).  Could be interesting to see what would be made.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: August 06, 2018, 11:29:27 pm »

That would be really cool to see.  It would really fit with the idea that Stellaris is supposed to tell stories as much as be a galactic conquest simulator.

In update news, it looks like strongholds will now produce soldier jobs, which are tied to naval cap.  I'm really happy to see that change, since it gives a reason to build strongholds now.  I'm also really curious to see how starbase anchorages get rebalanced as a result, and how this will impact army recruitment.

Speaking of armies, I'm currently a little puzzled on some war mechanics.  I got tired of the AI never declaring war on me, so I finally joined a federation associate (I think they're an associate anyway...) in declaring war on a driven assimilator, which from what I gather put us in a total war situation.  If I understand that right, any systems I take are mine for good, even without claims, right?

The hangup I have is the planet I just took from the robots.  The robot population on the planet are all being disassembled now, and it looks like the planet was fully turned over to me.  However, this didn't add any occupation value to the enemy's war exhaustion, which I'm guessing is because the planet is no longer theirs and technically not occupied?

I'm also unsure of how I'm supposed to get pops on the planet.  I've never actually used resettlement before, but do I need to do that to get someone on the planet?  Or wait for migration?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: August 07, 2018, 01:49:26 am »

Yeah, if you're fighting a Genocidal nation (which the  Driven Assimilators count as for war even though in some other respects they don't count as Genocidal.) you can fight a total war, which means planets instantly flip and the war is to the death of one nation (or, more often, until war exhaustion creeps up to full and the war ends.) You also get to fight a total war if one of the participants has a Colossus... Which is probably the best reason to take that perk if you want to eventually win, since the Colossus itself is pretty meh.

You're right about why you're not getting occupation value. If I recall correctly they should have still gotten a chunk of war exhaustion that's not from occupation when they lost the planet, but maybe that's been changed or I've forgotten, it's been a little bit since I was in a genocidal war.

Yeah, you need to resettle if you want to actually keep a planet where you're purging all the population. You do it by going to the planet (either the one you want to resettle too or from) and there should be a button on one of it's screens for it, it's a click and drag interface, pretty straight forward, should be easy enough. A pain in the ass to do on a mass scale though. If you don't resettle and you're purging all the pops, unless a pop migrates to the planet you'll eventually kill all the population on the planet, and with no one living there it will revert to an uncolonized planet.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #6814 on: August 07, 2018, 06:47:33 am »

Funnily enough, I've found that  Driven Assimilators are the ones that can find the most practical use from the Collosus. Being able to instantly flip the 1k armies on Awakened Empires over to happy obedient drones is very useful.

Planet Crackers, on the other hand, I'm of the opinion exist solely so you can declare war on a Religious Fallen Empire in style.

I'm really happy to see that change, since it gives a reason to build strongholds now.

If you're going tall, chokepoints and Fortress Worlds are neat. Recently had a run where I took over the L-Cluster and built a Ring World at the L-Gate with every ring segment having only fortresses. Then started building all the other megastructures inside the L-Cluster.

I'd already more-or-less won at that point, so was just waiting for the end-game crisis to trigger and seeing how insane I could make that L-Cluster.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:01:31 am by MorleyDev »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: August 07, 2018, 08:08:15 am »

If I thought I'd ever be in a defensive war with the AI I'd probably build some strongholds for that purpose, but so far that doesn't seem likely to happen.  :)

So far, I've had exactly one planet be invaded since I started playing, which was the Contingency after it spawned in the next system over.  The planet would have had to have been half strongholds to repel that invasion force... and of course the Contingency can pop up anywhere so you can't really plan for it.

You're right about why you're not getting occupation value. If I recall correctly they should have still gotten a chunk of war exhaustion that's not from occupation when they lost the planet, but maybe that's been changed or I've forgotten, it's been a little bit since I was in a genocidal war.

It must have changed.  They have about 35% war exhaustion, of which about 25% was from me destroying their fleets, and the rest to attrition.  I don't think it jumped up at all when I took the planet.

Yeah, you need to resettle if you want to actually keep a planet where you're purging all the population. You do it by going to the planet (either the one you want to resettle too or from) and there should be a button on one of it's screens for it, it's a click and drag interface, pretty straight forward, should be easy enough. A pain in the ass to do on a mass scale though. If you don't resettle and you're purging all the pops, unless a pop migrates to the planet you'll eventually kill all the population on the planet, and with no one living there it will revert to an uncolonized planet.

Interesting.  Taking the planet put me over my core world limit, so I'm tempted to let it revert for the moment until I get this was sorted out.  I'm guessing I'll end up taking another couple of planets too by the time they hit 100% war exhaustion, so I'll probably need to put them all in a sector.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: August 07, 2018, 09:27:56 am »

I've got two games I'm working on finishing up, but I am hesitant to start another until the next major patch for that reason.  The changes honestly look like many vast improvements over the current game.

It's probably going to be months before we get to play it though, unfortunately.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: August 07, 2018, 09:31:49 am »

Also, has anyone else got that annoying point where they don't want to play because the next update looks good?

Yes, but am trying to deal with the backlog in the meantime. Can't play Crusader Kings 2, EU4 or Rimworld for that reason either.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: August 07, 2018, 09:32:02 am »

I've got it bad, this time.  I'm excited to play Stellaris again, but only the upcoming version ):<
Probably because it's not just an addition of cool new features, but a rework.  So any more time spent with the current planet system will feel particularly wasted (and it already feels exceptionally grindy).

It's almost like those CK2 dev diaries where they improve/streamline the GUI...  They bizarrely ruin the existing GUI for me :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: August 07, 2018, 09:53:15 am »

Also, has anyone else got that annoying point where they don't want to play because the next update looks good?

Yes, but am trying to deal with the backlog in the meantime. Can't play Crusader Kings 2, EU4 or Rimworld for that reason either.
Ok, I´m the same. Barring EU4, that is, but I´m locked out of CK2, Stellaris, and Rimworld for same reason.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: August 07, 2018, 11:38:54 am »

more martin stuff

dev diaries restart this week apparently

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: August 07, 2018, 11:44:47 am »

That's an actually really nice way to handle defense armies.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: August 07, 2018, 11:48:04 am »

I hope they clean the Resource Production table there, it's too cluttered. At least non-strategic resources should be in a fixed slot for fast overview.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #6823 on: August 07, 2018, 12:29:42 pm »

If I thought I'd ever be in a defensive war with the AI I'd probably build some strongholds for that purpose, but so far that doesn't seem likely to happen.  :)

You have better luck than me. I almost always seem to spawn right next to either a Fanatic Purifier or a Determined Exterminator. Maybe "Random" empire placement just means "cruel" xD

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: August 07, 2018, 12:54:44 pm »

Admittedly, I've only played 4 games so far in my 200ish hours of play since I played them to completion, so I haven't had a ton of exposure to randomness.  In my last game I was dumped next to the driven assimilators I mentioned before, but I can't tell if they're as hostile as fanatic purifiers or determined exterminators.  I was outclassing them by the time we met, so they never declared war and only once sent an insult.  I've never neighbored any explicitly genocidal empires, so I can readily believe things are different in the early game if you do.

I'm pretty sure I just haven't seen war for that reason.  I've had a fair few other empires hate my guts, but since I was always equivalent or better, they never tried to fight me.  I haven't yet played on anything harder than Captain level difficulty, so that's probably the main culprit.  If the AI were simply smarter at higher difficulties instead of just getting massive boosts to everything, I'd be more inclined to play at higher difficulties.

It's actually pretty funny when an empire is pathetic compared to me, but they keep sending insults, even when I'm bordering them.  I can't tell what they hope to accomplish, so I'm just guessing the AI is literally programmed to randomly insult anyone they dislike, no matter their strength.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 632