Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671898 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7365 on: November 28, 2018, 02:51:12 pm »

Mechanics revolving around creating or destroying hyperlanes could be pretty cool.  Also potentially very annoying if it let enemy empires build back doors into yours, but that might help to break up some stalemates, and if you can later destroy the hyperlanes it might not be so bad.  The ability to close yourself off from the galaxy as a whole would be pretty cool for fanatic xenophobes.

I imagine there would be too many issues working such a mechanic into the game though.  AI being a big one.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: November 28, 2018, 02:54:19 pm »

Totally breaking what's currently considered to be the enemy AI would be only a good thing, because it would force them to start over and hopefully write an actual AI this time. ;p
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: November 29, 2018, 10:38:19 am »

Patch notes for 2.2

Just one week away now, and I am truly excited.  Some of the bug fixes are nice to see too, such as not getting spammed with multiple first contact messages.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: November 29, 2018, 10:59:26 am »

* Colony ships can now be built populated with any species which you have a migration treaty with
Yes! Finally, a way to actually reliably use migration treaties to colonize planets not hospitable to your race.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: November 29, 2018, 11:06:07 am »

Yeah, I thought that was a nice touch!

So much cool stuff!!  I'm not sure what to play first, probably an authoritarian empire in case slavery isn't such a tedious headache.  With genetweaking perks.  But then I really want to try Rogue Servitors again without having hundreds of unwanted food production.  And a friendly hive run to make hive worlds, and...

* No longer possible to pick Imperial Prerogative as first ascension perk
???
I never take that perk (+5 core systems), I was barely able to stand the micromanagement already.  But why would anyone take it first?  What an odd nerf...  I guess core systems will be less of a headache now though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: November 29, 2018, 11:31:55 am »

I assume it adds administrative cap now, which is probably more useful than core systems of old were since it directly translates into smaller tech, tradition and leader cost penalties for any empire that isn't tiny.

I don't think I ever picked it first (that's always Technological Ascendancy), but I did usually pick it eventually because I was one of those players who hated handing systems over to the brain dead sector AI, and who also has an abnormally high tolerance for micromanagement.

Also, just realized that civilian ships are built at starbases instead of planets now.  Finally.  That was a kind of weird holdover from the 1.9 -> 2.0 transition, wasn't it?  I remember being very confused about that for a while.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7371 on: November 29, 2018, 01:28:06 pm »

I haven't seen much chatter about the new sector system recently, what do you guys think? Looks like sectors are automatically generated and are based upon the hyperspace network's layout, small constellations of stars are discrete sectors I guess and will self-govern but they no longer have their own miniature economy, it's all just empire resources now. I'll have to play with the system to see if I like it, not a lot of detail on it yet.

Also: "Unity Ambitions are now a free feature, and no longer restricted to owners of Apocalypse" is kinda nice
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:30:40 pm by forsaken1111 »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: November 29, 2018, 01:38:53 pm »

Last I saw the details on how sectors would change in game were kind of vague.  Or maybe I've just forgotten how the changes worked.

A few people on Paradox's forums complained about it being nonsensical space terrain changes, but I kind of like it.  It helps eliminate some of the major abuses of sectors in the current version, and gives a reason to hire multiple governors.

One thing I'm curious about, which I don't think was ever mentioned, is if there will be a new CB to claim systems in a sector that don't belong to you.  I doubt I'd ever use it since I play nice aliens who never declare war, but it would make a lot of sense and help give options to players who just barely failed to stop another empire from expanding into a cluster and taking a border system that would serve as a good choke point since you could declare war to take that system without needing a CB to go to full war with that empire.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7373 on: November 29, 2018, 01:47:03 pm »

We've truly come full circle if we're getting de jure claims in Stellaris. I love it.

Some other goodies from the patch notes which I liked:

* Leader Capacity has been removed from the game and replaced with energy credits upkeep for each leader

* Federation members now automatically have a commercial agreement with each other, but have to pay 15% of their energy credit income in federation taxes

* Reworked relative empire power to be based on fleet power, economic power and tech power (in order of descending importance). Economic power is calculated as the amount of resources produced by the empire each month, multiplied by the base value of said resources, while tech power is calculated by the total cost of researched techs

* Culture shock is now a planet modifier rather than a pop modifier

* Assimilation now faster, and planetary culture shock will be removed if there is only hive/cyborg/machine pops on the planet, because free will is a painful illusion

* Spiritualist faction will no longer be unhappy about Tomb Worlds if you get Wormed

* Having Psionic pops in your empire allows for the possibility of rolling the Psionic theory tech if not otherwise possible

* Colonization screens only show the list of species and will generate a ship from the closest shipyard

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: November 29, 2018, 03:39:11 pm »

We've truly come full circle if we're getting de jure claims in Stellaris. I love it.

I don't think that's the case. My understanding is that this sector rework basically amounts to the idea that without a lot of micromanagement on planets now since the tile system is removed, sectors are less necessary for a large empire, so they are being mostly removed. Now they are mostly a little bit of fluff, areas of your empire getting names, and a scaling penalty for size since each leader costs energy upkeep (and a leader can now only govern a very limited area) and keeping the ability to hand off management of your empire to the AI if you've got too much to manage (although with the hopes that you won't need to anymore) It's a system that could have interesting ties to warfare (like de jure claims), diplomacy, and internal stuff, but I don't think it actually HAS any of these ties, at least not yet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: November 29, 2018, 04:35:27 pm »

> Leader Capacity has been removed from the game and replaced with energy credits upkeep for each leader

this sound great, having that arbitrary limits was extra annoying to me.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: November 29, 2018, 04:47:40 pm »

Funnily enough, I never actually hit the leader cap so I'm not sure what I was supposed to be doing, but it was weird to have a cap anyway.  I guess if I was one of those rare people who kept extra scientists around to rotate out for field related research speed buffs then I might have hit the cap.  Or if I had a dozen sectors, maybe to abuse the separate mineral and energy stockpiles, and wanted to have governors to maximize output.  Or if I had such a gigantic naval capacity that I needed a dozen admirals.

Okay, yeah, I guess it's not inconceivable that people were hitting the cap.  Having no cap and now upkeep makes a lot more sense.  Previously you just paid for them once and never paid again, which was weird anyway.  The scaling cost is a little strange, and probably intended to reflect growing bureaucratic complexity with a growing empire, but it does serve as a way to discourage mass firing and hiring to get ideal traits.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7377 on: November 29, 2018, 05:47:58 pm »

Funnily enough, I never actually hit the leader cap so I'm not sure what I was supposed to be doing, but it was weird to have a cap anyway.  I guess if I was one of those rare people who kept extra scientists around to rotate out for field related research speed buffs then I might have hit the cap.  Or if I had a dozen sectors, maybe to abuse the separate mineral and energy stockpiles, and wanted to have governors to maximize output.  Or if I had such a gigantic naval capacity that I needed a dozen admirals.

Or taking a few points in the Discovery Tradition tree.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: November 29, 2018, 05:53:43 pm »

I would have about 3 governors (two sectors), 2-4 admirals depending on naval limit, 1 general, and tended to nearly fill the rest of the cap with scientists set to "assist research" on research-centric planets.  Gives a little bonus unity with the Discovery Tradition.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: November 29, 2018, 07:38:58 pm »

Assisting research would be another valid use, yeah.  Despite my usually focusing hard on science, I didn't ever use research assistance very much because it didn't seem to help all that much.  Maybe I was misread or doing the math wrong, but even assisting on a research focused habitat or ring world segment didn't seem to give more than a few extra points of research per month per scientist.  Better than nothing, I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 632