Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671493 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7440 on: December 06, 2018, 01:55:33 pm »

Decided to start off in the deep end with a criminal megacorp. So the first thing that happened was the cultist event bugged out, I've boarded the ship and the project is done but the next part of the chain never fired. I'm playing pretty conservatively until I get used to everything but I'm really liking the ability to expand to a cap without taking penalties to science or unity. As a criminal megacorp I can absorb other megacorps as subsidiaries basically the same way you would demand vassalization. I can also open branch offices on the world's of other civs but the pop requirements for doing anything with them are pretty strict. Every 25 pops up to 100 unlock a new build slot for the branch office so at this stage I can have one building for a branch office on a homeworld and 0 anywhere else. I own the galactic market which seems like a minor reduction in the market price and not much else.

I think my next project is going to be focus purely on energy, with my branch offices giving me a hefty boost, and use the proceeds to play the market.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: December 06, 2018, 02:50:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure the cultist event was bugged before now, at least if it's the one I'm thinking of.  Gave me a free ship at the end of the quest chain that couldn't be repaired or used, and which refused to dock with any space stations.  Had to scrap it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: December 06, 2018, 03:08:29 pm »

Since I only knew the gist of the new pop mechanics, this has been an unironically fun couple hours for me as I play with the new system!

Small related complaint:  The resource deltas at the top of the screen only get updated on the monthly tick.  So if I futz around with job allocation on a planet, I don't get to see my incomes change in real-time.  It's not a big deal, but it was a nice feature when trying to figure things out in previous versions.  I get why it's tricky to implement, but it shouldn't necessarily be a performance issue.  I hope they bring it back someday.

Edit:  Oh, this also applies to stuff like changing food policy.  It also gave me a slight concern, at first, since the research screen said I was making no progress in any field (until I reached month 2).
Honestly I shouldn't complain, as I'm for some reason playing this major version change in Ironman, so I can't quicksave to check things.  Which is objectively a bad move but YOLO BLORG RUN

Edit2:  Oh!  At least for moving workers around, the planet's listings do show the sum production for each worker type.  So if I assign a farmer, it does immediately go from 16 to 24 for example.  That's probably sufficient feedback.

Edit3:  Huh, Very Strong applies 5% to all "worker" jobs, not just minerals.  That's kinda interesting.  No, wait- not Clerks.  Makes sense.  But definitely food and energy production.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:21:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: December 06, 2018, 03:16:38 pm »

The starting research of 0 is apparently known and fixed for the next fix patch.  Since the devs say it's a display issue, maybe they've fixed it so that changes in calculations do happen automatically?  Maybe not, since I imagine there's a lot of factors going into it that change even faster now than they used to, so doing the calculation once a month really makes sense.

Looks like a lot of people are having interesting bugs, like infinite streams of empty popup notifications, stuttering and being unable to launch the game or generate empires.  I won't have a chance to play for some hours yet, but I hope I avoid the worst of it.

How long after previous DLCs was it before a hotfix was released?  A week?  More?

Edit: Looks like the first hotfix for Apocalypse came 5 days later, so maybe it won't be so long before fixes come out.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:38:46 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: December 06, 2018, 05:47:26 pm »

Not seeing much strategy to criminal corporations. I invest 1k+ energy and enough influence to claim a system to get some energy per turn based on the crime rate which I can increase by building a building. Destroying all my machinations is as simple as having a few extra police. I can only increase the crime rate a tiny bit on an average sized world so I can be effortlessly overwhelmed and shut out.

If I build a branch office and the crimeiest crime building I can build I inflict +75 crime. A single precinct building produces 2 enforcer pops which do -75 crime. They can make a new building every 5 pops I can only make one every 25 pops Which means they'll have had five opportunities for a coupe de gras by the time I can launch my counterstrike. If there was a way of protecting my assets with unity, influence, or additional investments it might make sense bu right now I'm just throwing away resources and hoping I break even before they crush me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:53:24 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: December 06, 2018, 05:51:22 pm »

I love the update, it feels so much more like the Stellaris game I initially envisioned. Now, if they would only remove silly arbitrary limitations on some of the civics...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: December 06, 2018, 06:02:46 pm »

I am enjoying the new mechanics so far, although a bug almost killed one of my games. I am... Not sure if I like how jobs don't scale by pop, right now city districts feel pretty pointless most of the time, as without special stuff it doesn't seem like you can make enough jobs using them unless you spam clerks. Pirates also feel pretty fiddly. But other then those couple of things it's been fun.

Oh, and like, the market seems brokenly cheap to buy consumer goods on. Like, 2.5 energy per good when making them takes a precious building slot, a lot of minerals, energy food and consumer goods to upkeep the job and pop... It seem way cheaper to just build generator districts and buy the goods.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:17:06 pm by Criptfeind »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: December 06, 2018, 06:09:53 pm »

Is it just me or is the AI expanding ludicriously fast?

I found my first two neighbours and neither of them are advance start but while I only managed to get an additional 6 star systems, they're at around 15 additional star systems each.

I'm playing on the second highest difficulty so I know they're cheating... but in the past they never expanded this fast before.

Also did they slow down research speed? Seems much slower. I'm not complaining but I normally play 2x research length because I found vanilla way too slow. Now I feel like I'm on 6x or something.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: December 06, 2018, 07:36:07 pm »

Makes sense for the AI to expand more aggressively. It used to be heavy expansion early on was suicidal because you were constantly multiplying the costs of the basic research you need to be functional, with the new system there's no tradeoff until you go over your cap.

How are other people enjoying the slave market? I haven't seen any pops for sale yet. I did snag two planets from a stubborn empire in a war of subjugation. I stole 31 pops and gave back the mostly empty systems. They're selling very quickly for 1k each and I'm taking those credits to immediately purchase alloys I need to expand the fleet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: December 06, 2018, 09:08:55 pm »

I hereby move that we exclusively refer to a ecumenopoli as Coruscants.
Nah, Coruscant is a derived unit.  The appropriate SI base unit is the Trantor.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: December 06, 2018, 09:17:49 pm »

Not a big fan of playing as Megacorps so far.
They of course are designed on relying on branch offices in other empires, but with how... impossible, diplomacy is in Stellaris it feels so arbitrary. You have to be lucky to get good empires who can conceivably ever agree to a commercial pact. In my current game I've only found one empire that with their own Xenophile and my Xenophile bonus I just barely managed to get a commercial pact. Out of something like five empires total. Distance penalties are harsh, and I can't exactly expand to close that gap because I'm already at my size limit.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7451 on: December 06, 2018, 09:18:00 pm »

"In former times the energy monopoly was called "The Power Company"; we intend to give this name an entirely new meaning."

-Me, making a new game playing as an energy-production-focused megacorp, Datalinks
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7452 on: December 06, 2018, 09:26:54 pm »

"In former times the energy monopoly was called "The Power Company"; we intend to give this name an entirely new meaning."

-Me, making a new game playing as an energy-production-focused megacorp, Datalinks
King Executive Autocrat

KEAs. The ultimate thieves

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: December 06, 2018, 09:32:24 pm »

It does seem odd to me that corporations start out the same way as "normal" empires, with one species on one planet taking their first steps into the stars.
Would be an interesting start to begin as a rising megacorp who just managed to buy their first planet from an established empire, possibly with a mix of species already on the planet. Or even playing as one of several rival companies from the same planet, racing to form new colonies before your competitors and take over your home planet.

...But then, I guess those could all be alternative starts for other empire types, not just corps. Could play as one of two superpowers on your home planet, or as the "official" planetary government sharing the world with a megacorp looking to outcompete you.

Oh well. Each stellaris expansion just makes me think of fun new directions they could take things. Maybe some day...
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7454 on: December 06, 2018, 09:37:32 pm »

It does seem odd to me that corporations start out the same way as "normal" empires, with one species on one planet taking their first steps into the stars.
Would be an interesting start to begin as a rising megacorp who just managed to buy their first planet from an established empire, possibly with a mix of species already on the planet. Or even playing as one of several rival companies from the same planet, racing to form new colonies before your competitors and take over your home planet.

...But then, I guess those could all be alternative starts for other empire types, not just corps. Could play as one of two superpowers on your home planet, or as the "official" planetary government sharing the world with a megacorp looking to outcompete you.

Oh well. Each stellaris expansion just makes me think of fun new directions they could take things. Maybe some day...
CK2 Merchant Republic mechanics, with multiple companies operating off of the same capital planet? Yes please
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 632