Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1670968 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7470 on: December 08, 2018, 10:08:08 pm »

I've had AI build things, but it's nowhere close to being actually capable of dealing with anything. They sometimes plop a random new building if there's space, but I don't think I ever saw them build a district. You need to set them to be able to do stuff in first place in sectors menu, and then I think how often they do it depends on governor skill, but I have no proofs.
I have no dobut at all that Wiz (also known as the entire Stellaris QA team) simply never looked at the sectors to see if buildings were being built regularly (or at all) or not.

I wonder if they'll have time to release a patch though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7471 on: December 09, 2018, 12:16:05 am »

Yeah, the AI not building things correctly is a commonly reported bug and their AI guy is supposedly looking at it, but who knows how much improvement it'll get in the upcoming patches.  I'll say that in my game at least, the AI isn't experiencing the bug where it never builds fleets, since there's an AI empire next to me that actually has an overwhelming navy compared to mine, at 2270.

Naval capacity seems really, really hard to get now.  I have 30 at this year, since starbases are harder to get and it's really hard to convince myself to build strongholds for soldier jobs.  The starbases I do have are dedicated to trade, since I really need that trade value.

After playing with it for a while longer, I'm starting to get the hang of it and have somewhat revised my thoughts about the market being OP.  It feels kind of necessary, actually, since I seem to be permanently in a deficit of some important resource.  For me, it's mostly been consumer goods and food, and I've had to dedicate a lot more buildings to consumer goods production than I ever expected.  Pretty sure it's mostly because I'm playing as life-seeded and decided to go ahead with colonizing 0% habitability planets anyway, which doubles pop upkeep.  I imagine it would be much less brutal for other empires.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: December 09, 2018, 10:23:10 pm »

Trade is fun, but is it OP to devote your core systems almost entirely to producing trade value?  I'm about to unlock habitats, and have a general excess of influence to make them with, but I'm *already* reaping mad income from re-aligning my "core" worlds.

By "core" I'm sorta talking about the worlds my home starbase can reach - which thereby generate trade value with ZERO risk or complication.  Is anyone not filling their capital starbase entirely with trade posts?  I deleted the shipyard to get more range.

And that's just 4 range.  I'm about to unlock star holds and get 6 range, which reaches into the important trade areas of nearby sectors.  It's an interesting evolution which realigns over time, compared to the "bluh just spam trade posts by default, literally everywhere".

However, I do have a quibble/question - Say I have a border system with trade value (maybe it has a planet), and I build a starbase there for defensive purposes.  I'd REALLY rather its trade value be picked up by the 4-trade-post starbase which is much closer to my capital.  But instead, the bastion picks up the trade (from only that system) and thus causes a piracy issue.
It's maybe not a big deal, but it's very annoying.  Building a starbase shouldn't ruin existing trade routes.  Why wouldn't it use the trade route closest to my capital?

Also I keep having to pull fleets back from the border because I have three trade routes funneling (kinda by design) through a narrow area near my capital...  Which exceeded the protection of a fully stocked bastion, and has spawned massive pirate fleets three times.  I'd make a second bastion, but I'm hoping that a Star Hold will do the trick once I research it soon.

In retrospect, that might be the intented use of the new Patrol feature.
It's definitely *not* intended for patrolling to distant trade posts, because the piracy regenerates much quicker than even corvettes travel.  They wipe out the piracy due to their bonus from small size, but it's back long before they return.

I like this update a lot
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: December 09, 2018, 10:38:37 pm »

It's definitely *not* intended for patrolling to distant trade posts, because the piracy regenerates much quicker than even corvettes travel.  They wipe out the piracy due to their bonus from small size, but it's back long before they return.
You should keep in mind that the Paradox offices primarily play, test, and therefore balance for fairly small maps, while most players prefer to go for larger maps. So they may have intended patrols to be effective for that purpose, but your empire is bigger than expected.

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: December 10, 2018, 04:57:13 am »

My 5 corvettes patrol travel about 20 systems before going back home, and the pirate activity reduce trade value by about 0 - 20% max, so I believe long range patrol are pretty ok (obviously past 20 systems, a new patrol should be created, you can't expect them to protect the whole galaxy).

I don't know if I fully like the update or not. I kinda like the new population system, but feel like he is more tedious (not necessary a bad thing, since at mid game you actually have some internal stuff to do) and lack personnality. By that i means that before, when i spotted a good planet, thanks to its specials or rare tiles, i could go "Oh, this will be a industry planet !" or "Oh, a nice resort planet !".

Now it more like "eh, this planet has more red case than the others, guess that it will be a mining planet". It feels more dull. And losing the tiles will means mods like alphamod (which add lot of infrastructures depending on planetary tiles and such) will lose interest.

Now about megacorp, i don't like them much. I tried a classic "profit" company, but keeping people life quality in mind, going the full "xenophile" way. I could only find one civilization that accepted a trade deal with me, meaning i could get a market in their capital. Other than that, it's a classic empire play, where you colonize, expand, etc... I expected to play more like the republic of CKII.
I also tried a evil megacorp, trying to rp the black sun of star wars. Well i managed to get 2 branchs criminal offices in others nations, before their police kept shutting my operation down, one month after they were being install, so i just let it go and play full evil, but classic, empire.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: December 10, 2018, 05:08:35 am »

I don't know if I fully like the update or not. I kinda like the new population system, but feel like he is more tedious (not necessary a bad thing, since at mid game you actually have some internal stuff to do) and lack personnality. By that i means that before, when i spotted a good planet, thanks to its specials or rare tiles, i could go "Oh, this will be a industry planet !" or "Oh, a nice resort planet !".

Now it more like "eh, this planet has more red case than the others, guess that it will be a mining planet". It feels more dull. And losing the tiles will means mods like alphamod (which add lot of infrastructures depending on planetary tiles and such) will lose interest.

Funny, I found the old tile system to make for very bland planets but I love the new features/blockers system where you can scroll through a list to see the areas specific to a planet, and what you're able to unlock if you research the right blocker removers. Seems more like you're actually managing/planning the exploitation of planetary resources and the development of infrastructure. Although parts of the UI are pretty atrocious but hey, it's Paradox  ;D

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: December 10, 2018, 07:16:36 am »

Tiles became the blockers/special features as well as special planet modifiers (those didn't change)
Pops became much less micro intensive
buildings are still the main way to specialize

Minerals and credits are much easier to come by and the alloys and special gases are the new resources people focus on so not having enough yellow/red/green districts on a specific planet isn;t a huge deal as fas as I have seen.

Also you make it sound like you used to be able to choose which planets you specialized and now you can't...its still the exact same. Some planets are better (based on special modifiers and tiles) for minerals, some for science, etc so not sure what you mean when you say that choosing worlds is "dull" now.

As for Alphamod...they will adapt. Seems odd that you think they will just go "Oh well no more tiles so we will just chop out half the mod because we can't think of any solutions"

It sounds to me like you are still thinking of everything in a 2.0 lens and have given very little thought or effort in regards to the new systems.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: December 10, 2018, 09:08:36 am »

This is kinda a question I feel weird asking... But, something I've not gotten to in my game yet (long story short: basically really unlucky with the tech pulls) is the ringworlds and ecumenopolis, and I've heard a few positive things about them. But my question is.... How do people get enough population to make it relevant to have such huge planets? Like, I'm certainly not going hard into pop growth. But I don't see how even if I did get all the pop growth bonuses I could have hundreds and hundreds of pop in one place. Say you had a ecumenopolis and you needed like, idk, 350 pop on it (I think that's a pretty reasonable number but maybe not) that's 35000 growth points needed to max it out. At 9 pop growth per month that'd take 300 years to get. 6 would take 480 years. My current pop growth is a bit around 4-5 and so would take even longer.

I'm like over 100 years into my game so far, and my starting planet still hasn't maxed out it's population, the only planet that has is a primitive planet (sol) I took over as my third colony and made into a mostly rural world. Making a giant planet later on the game seems like... Well, that it'll never reach it's potential unless I was to play for a few hundred years longer then I normally do.

Maybe robots? I don't have those (they got offered once early game and then never again...) If that's the answer though it certainly feels like religious lads might be getting a bit fucked.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:14:07 am by Criptfeind »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: December 10, 2018, 09:17:16 am »

Resettlement possibly, although I've been wondering the same thing.  I don't like to use resettlement, so it looks to me like I'd be in it for the long haul.

I think that maybe the devs intended for ring worlds and ecumonopoleis to be something that you would spend the entire game developing and never finishing.  That's both good and bad.  It's good because it gives you something to do throughout the end game other than prosecute wars, but also bad because it means you're unlikely to ever fully put them to use in a normal game.  Then again, I got the First League forerunner and so ended up with an ecumonopolis by about 2250, which means I might get it mostly or fully developed by the end game.

I also haven't built a ring world yet, but I'm really interested to see how well they function.  The fact that they get 200 total districts now, but can only house agriculture, energy and city districts, means that I'm not sure how I'd put one to use.  Maybe as a massive energy and agricultural center, but I'd prefer to make them huge research sites.  The limit on the number of buildings may make that less practical... although you could probably cram as many as 40-50 researcher jobs in if you really tried.

Quote from: dennislp3
It sounds to me like you are still thinking of everything in a 2.0 lens

Yeah, honestly, I think the game does a better job of making planets feel like they have a dedicated purpose now.  The limited number of building slots means you want to only build certain buildings on certain planets, such as mineral processing plants, so it makes sense to dedicate planets to mining or agriculture now.  You can, of course, still build a mineral processing plant, energy nexus and agri-center (or whatever it was called) on every world, but it's an opportunity cost.

Actually, maybe it's better to just distinguish resource gathering planets like those from manufacturing and processing planets that will have things like civilian industries, alloy foundries and research labs.  Mixing them on the same planet kind of wastes building slots.

I also tried a evil megacorp, trying to rp the black sun of star wars. Well i managed to get 2 branchs criminal offices in others nations, before their police kept shutting my operation down, one month after they were being install, so i just let it go and play full evil, but classic, empire.

This is partially working as intended, I think, since you're still weakening those empires by forcing them to spend resources and pops on enforcer jobs, but the devs have also acknowledged that the AI loves precinct houses way too much right now.

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: December 10, 2018, 09:43:01 am »

Tiles became the blockers/special features as well as special planet modifiers (those didn't change)
Pops became much less micro intensive
buildings are still the main way to specialize

My point still stand, I found visualising the planet easier before, since you saw the landscape with all the special tile at once. I don't even fiddle with the special feature too much. I find it too dull to have a list with how many cavern or hot source i have that allow for this or that district.
For pops, i have to disagree though. I found it less micro before. Maybe a personnal feeling, but now you have to focus more on how you will house, give work and adapt your planet with the district. It isn't necessary a bad thing, but it is, imho, more micro than just placing infrastructure on tiles where pops grew from before.
For buildings, well yeah, but i liked how past infra worked with each others, giving bonus according to how there were placed.

Minerals and credits are much easier to come by and the alloys and special gases are the new resources people focus on so not having enough yellow/red/green districts on a specific planet isn;t a huge deal as fas as I have seen.

Agreed with that, i like the alloy and special resources new system. Make building a fleet more challenging and interesting. Before, just having shit tons of mineral was enough. Now you have to implement a neat workflow around minerals. Way better. And some systems actually got so strategically import, resources-wise, that i wage war over, so a + in my book.
A bit sad that, as you said, districts don't matter much. They change the label about your planet speciality, so there's that. Relying only on mining station is a quick way to mineral/energy shortage though, with the consumer goods we have to produce now.

Also you make it sound like you used to be able to choose which planets you specialized and now you can't...its still the exact same. Some planets are better (based on special modifiers and tiles) for minerals, some for science, etc so not sure what you mean when you say that choosing worlds is "dull" now.

This is, again, a personal and rp feeling. I still find that it was easier to spot, at a glance, what planet was good for, without having to scroll through a list (i don't like list that much). I found planning a planet specialization before full colonization was easier when i could see the whole lands. Now, i just see (at a glance again) how many districts i can build. But hey, to each their own on that, i will not stop playing for that anyway.

As for Alphamod...they will adapt. Seems odd that you think they will just go "Oh well no more tiles so we will just chop out half the mod because we can't think of any solutions"

They will adapt, if the guy behind it have the will, for sure. But from what i remember, a lot of alpha mods was based on special resources usages and how you could keep natural odd tiles on planet to use their neighboring properties. Now, you could replace that with special features and buildings based on it (like, a zoo for exotic pets), but buildings are more restricted that before. But yeah, the mod is not dead, and paradox propose a whole lot of options new mod could go with, i'm happy with that.

It sounds to me like you are still thinking of everything in a 2.0 lens and have given very little thought or effort in regards to the new systems.

Not sure what you means by that though. Obviously, i'm looking at the systems changes, while keeping in mind how it work before. That's a comparison, after all i'm playing an update, not a whole new game. You say that like i said "stellaris 2.2 is shit!" but i didn't, nor i find it to be bad, not at all.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: December 10, 2018, 10:10:20 am »

Re: ringworlds
I have a Cybrex homeworld under development since a good while back. It's 2400, and the two repaired sections have 30 and 40 pops currently (out of ~2000 total). I'm running an ascended synthetic empire so there's no migration, but I've been resettling excess pops from other planets.
If I'm counting right, the maximum number of jobs a planet can have is 276, if one builds only commercial megaplexes. I don't think I'll get anywhere close to that before the end game crisis hits.

Btw, the RNG gods were kind to me in this game. Apart from the next-door Cybrex, the Worm quest line resulted in extra 5(!) planets in my home system.

acidia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: December 10, 2018, 10:21:34 am »

Let me know if anyone figures out a good habitat build.  Just played my first game going wonder heavy and once I started building habitats I realized that I didn't know how to use them.  They cost 4 or 5 alloy in upkeep which was my first big surprise.  I think I went with 3 residential, 1 entertainment, 2/3 science, 2/3 economic.  I dropped a couple mote/crystal/gas fabricators in each but never even finished filling them up.  I had four built before my first section of a ring world was completed.  Ring world A had to be food centered so that all planets could be mining focused, realized at that point the best use of habitats were farming pop to fill the ring faster.  Second ring world section was energy generation.  With all the food and energy I could need I didn't even finish the ring world and went straight for the mining wonder then ecumenopolis. 

End game, I have a bunch of habitats and ring world sections I never put much effort into because they don't fit well into the mineral/alloy cycle.  If there was a spam-able mining building similar to the hydroponics farm for planets, that would be great (broken?) since I could move industry to the habitats/ringworld.  As it was, my capital was full mining districts and had all its building slots available to accomplish most of my industry.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: December 10, 2018, 11:44:11 am »

Habitats have alloy upkeep now?  That's good to know, since I'm halfway through building my first in the save I had to leave off last night due to the infuriating need to sleep.  Alloys are very hard to come by right now, to the point it looks like the next balance patch is going to increase efficiency from 3:1 to 2:1 minerals per alloy.  Production might be getting a boost too, but I wasn't extremely sure based on reading the tooltips in the tweet.

Regarding habitat use, I'd planned to make my habitats research focused, but I'll have to see after I get it built.  Based on the discussions I've been reading, they might be good to serve as processing centers for alloys too or for making rare resources, but aren't as much of a no brainer in general as they used to be.

Same with ring worlds.  I used to build 3-5 per game just because they were great all around ways to maximize output vs. owned systems, but now that empire size is now based on districts, I imagine I might build one to serve as a massive agricultural world and not bother building more.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: December 10, 2018, 12:25:38 pm »

With people wondering how to fill ringworlds... Does excess food production no longer increase population growth? Otherwise it seems like you could have exponential pop growth by devoting it tit food production.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: December 10, 2018, 12:45:36 pm »

Food to pop was never exponential, it eventually capped out at like double speed or something. Also um, good question, I think it's gone, there's a decision you can take, 1k food to increase the pop growth speed of a planet, I had assumed that replaced the old one (because it'd be staggeringly pointless if it had not) but I'll admit I didn't actually check.
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 632