Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 560

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 598962 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds howl again
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7515 on: November 02, 2018, 10:21:13 am »

Yesterday I had a dream about making a Stellaris mod, which is odd as I haven't played Stellaris at all in a while. The mod in question was a total overhaul, & a fairly simple one at that, with very few actual mechanical changes. In the dream the rate of star system generation was greatly reduced, while the rate of black hole / blank system generation was greatly increased. Events were fiddled with so you'd get occasional rare events like finding a starving prethoryn fleet or a rare event with a MTTH of 500 making a star system supernova and take out every planet in the system. Ship maintenance was increased to the point where even a flotilla of 3 corvettes was a significant fleet, while repeatable techs were greatly nerfed. The various megabeasts were nerfed combats-wise to compensate for the smaller fleets, but the solar parasite was more like an end-game crisis as if it was left alone for too long, it would devour the solar system's star before moving on to the next system until it was killed / the galaxy went dark. The localisation was changed and some events fiddled with in order to make the playthrough one that was taking place close to the heat death of the universe, with your star empire being amongst the few remaining civilisations before the last stars all go out. The end-game diverged in several paths based around attempts to survive the heat death of the universe, from merging the universe with the shroud, to closing the loop, to creating a micro-universe
I feel compelled to make it once the game is updated with beautiful vic2 mechanics
Seems like a great idea, actually.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:20 am »

That does sound pretty cool, actually.  Balancing sounds like it would be a real chore, but making the game hard sounds like half of the point.

Unrelated, but someone noticed a benefit to ecumenopoleis (which I just discovered is the proper plural...) that I didn't earlier, which does make them more attractive.  While a ring world has a potentially higher max population, ecumenopoleis have far fewer districts for the same population counts, which will impose less penalties based on empire size.  That changes my feelings on them somewhat, but I'll still have to wait and see how the empire size works out in practice before I make any decision on whether to use them or not.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: November 02, 2018, 04:33:52 pm »

Aw yiss, I'm allowed to Hallow the Holy Worlds of my Holy Guardian neighbors.  This is going to cost significant Influence, but the stacked unity gains... 

Fanatic Spiritualist Militarists, but I wouldn't describe us as crusaders.  We're a Corporate Dominion who happens to have a Distinguished Admiralty.

We're not exactly "religious", we just want power overwhelming, gold, and to ban necromancy.  We're the Scyldari Mage Guild.
Because spellcasting will always be OP

And naturally my first two neighbors were literally mirrors of my ideology, fanatical materialistic pacifists.  A despotism and a democracy, oddly, but they still formed treaties easily because neither is egalitarian.  It's okay, they're pacifists.

Third neighbor is also pacifist - fanatic authoritarian.  As someone who tended to start out pacifist and "randomly" surrounded by militants, this feels pretty good.
I understand they have bonuses and will join together if I threaten them, but at least they aren't bashing down my door as I try to carve out my space.  Nice neighbors.

Gotta fix that soulless materialism (martial classes amirite?) but besides that, very nice.  I still have access to liberation wars, if I don't go for vassalization instead.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: November 03, 2018, 09:27:50 am »

I'm officially in the "habitat snowball" phase of gameplay and I have to bail out one of my tributaries. I kicked their ass a little harder than I planned and now they have literally no fleet and no capacity to create one. Pirates have destroyed everything they own, there are three pirate groups fighting each other because the interstellar empire officially has nothing else to plunder. I have to give them a cash infusion and spank their enemies if I want to get that income stream back.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:30:17 am by Broseph Stalin »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: November 03, 2018, 10:53:06 am »

I'm officially in the "habitat snowball" phase of gameplay and I have to bail out one of my tributaries. I kicked their ass a little harder than I planned and now they have literally no fleet and no capacity to create one. Pirates have destroyed everything they own, there are three pirate groups fighting each other because the interstellar empire officially has nothing else to plunder. I have to give them a cash infusion and spank their enemies if I want to get that income stream back.
That's what happens when you destabilize governments, Cheney.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: November 04, 2018, 09:44:58 pm »

Is it just me or is Status Quo often worse than just surrendering for the loser? I've captured 29 of my opponents 30 systems in a war of subjugation and they're offering white peace. If they flat out surrender they get all their worlds back and send me 25% of their minerals and energy in exchange for my protection from any of their many many enemies. The white peace they're offering would mean their empire is reduced to a single system completely penned in by a new empire that gets the 25% deal that they were too stupid to take. At this point my bombing campaign is a humanitarian effort, I'm at 93% war  and it would just be mean to not slaughter them before they can force white peace. Well, also the white peace empire wouldn't have it's own colors, it would just be a gross white blob and I hate that.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:49:13 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: November 04, 2018, 10:52:57 pm »

Unless they've changed how the war system works since last time I played a non genocidal race, Status Quo is always better then surrender. If you'd gain all their systems except one in a Status Quo, that means in surrender you'd gain all their systems but one AND they'd be forced to become your tributary.

Unless I'm totally misremembering, Status quo is you get the claims you're currently occupying, surrender is you get all your claims occupied or not and whatever your war goal is.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: November 04, 2018, 11:33:10 pm »

Unless they've changed how the war system works since last time I played a non genocidal race, Status Quo is always better then surrender. If you'd gain all their systems except one in a Status Quo, that means in surrender you'd gain all their systems but one AND they'd be forced to become your tributary.

Unless I'm totally misremembering, Status quo is you get the claims you're currently occupying, surrender is you get all your claims occupied or not and whatever your war goal is.

Surrender enforces your demands full stop, status quo basically enforces them on whatever systems you've occupied. If you have claims on an occupied system you take it, and if you're fighting a war of liberation or subjugation you liberate or subjugate all captured systems. A visual might help establish how badly this can suck.

That last system, Keshem, is so packed with colonies that it counts for enough occupation score to prevent them from surrendering. Since I haven't made any claims if they surrendered at that moment they would become my tributary but they wouldn't lose a single system.

That ugly white blob is the brand new Cyzni empire, who are my tributaries. The Technosethi empire are in that sad little brown spot patting themselves on the back because they avoided paying a 25% tax at the cost of 97% of their territory.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:39:32 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: November 05, 2018, 06:51:55 am »

Ah, I get it. They changed how tributary wars work since the last time I played with them then. Last time I tried to play a nation that tributaried people, the tributary and vassal CB would only work with full surrender. It used to be surrender was always worse then status quo.

Right, this new way seems easier on the old actually getting it to work, since it used to be damn near impossible to get AI too surrender and sometimes even taking 100% of their systems wasn't enough, but damn if that doesn't seem like it'd make it almost too easy to just rip apart people with the CB. Sounds like the AI really needs a tweak then.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:53:41 am by Criptfeind »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: November 05, 2018, 08:18:49 am »

At this point I'm glad they're ruined. They lost a war with their neighbors during my campaign and gave up control of eloatarvis, meaning that to reach half of their empire, the only half with colonies, I had to start a second war with a block of 3 major empires. If it went white peace before I occupied a colony I would get nothing.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: November 08, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »

Anyone interested in some multiplayer Stellaris once the DLC drops? I've been watching the MegaCorp Dev Clash Paradox is doing and it's got me in the mood for some. They have an entertaining thing going on with back-and-forth propaganda and an RP focus - it occurs to me Stellaris is particularly well-suited for that sort of thing, whodathunk. Could be fun to get a Bay 12 game up and make a mess of the galaxy together.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: November 08, 2018, 03:12:14 pm »

Anyone interested in some multiplayer Stellaris once the DLC drops?

Maybe wait to schedule that until "once the DLC drops" has a more specific time frame than Soontm?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: November 08, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »

Actually they have repeatedly said that the DLC drop is 'not soon'.

That said, I'd be happy to play after the DLC does drop. I even plan to buy it, so if I end up hosting anyone else playing can experience it as well.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds howl again
    • View Profile
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: November 08, 2018, 10:22:16 pm »

Can't wait for some gaming news website/video to have a clickbait title like "Stellaris Latest Update adds Loot Boxes to the Game"
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 560