Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 560

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 598046 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7545 on: November 15, 2018, 11:16:31 am »

Will at the very least let you do stupid shit like the achievements for having many different species on a single planet, or having most of your pops be slaves.

If the AI actively buys them, then you could have some serious fun by genemodding a LW-style "locust" pop who is useless but reproduces insanely fast and tanks happiness in planets.
You can already do that with refugees, I gene modded the Big Stupid Jellyfish to be unlikable, contrary, and incapable of feeding itself then kicked them all out.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: November 15, 2018, 11:27:21 am »

If the AI actively buys them, then you could have some serious fun by genemodding a LW-style "locust" pop who is useless but reproduces insanely fast and tanks happiness in planets.

Interestingly, they'd be cheaper, so perhaps the AI would be even more likely to buy them!

That said, it'll depend on the specific calculations of jobs/output. Low stratum pops may be valuable just by filling low stratum slots even if they're inefficient at it, since high-stratum pops won't take low-stratum jobs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: November 15, 2018, 11:36:27 am »

That's how you get a roach race running all your fast food joints.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds howl again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: November 15, 2018, 11:41:56 am »

Will at the very least let you do stupid shit like the achievements for having many different species on a single planet, or having most of your pops be slaves.

You can already do that with refugees, I gene modded the Big Stupid Jellyfish to be unlikable, contrary, and incapable of feeding itself then kicked them all out.
Yeah, but with the market you can finally get them into xenophobic empires that won't take immigrants or refugees!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: November 15, 2018, 02:18:05 pm »

I have to wonder...how good does the full Biological ascension path become when combined with xenos compatibility?  +2 trait picks combined with the ability to eventually breed populations with all the ascendancy traits looks quite strong.
A Rose for a Kingdom (FF.net) - A YGO/RWBY crossover I'm working on that may take time away from posting.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds howl again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: November 15, 2018, 02:21:37 pm »

I have to wonder...how good does the full Biological ascension path become when combined with xenos compatibility?  +2 trait picks combined with the ability to eventually breed populations with all the ascendancy traits looks quite strong.
It might be what finally puts biological on a similar level with the other two (though psi is probably still the strongest).
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: November 15, 2018, 02:29:09 pm »

Biological is currently the strongest and psi is currently the weakest. But bio requires a lot of micromanagement that won't be necessary or possible in the upcoming economy, which to me means they'll either be really really strong, or you'll constantly be screwed by how jobs and migration and all that stuff works and they'll suck.

Funnily enough I'm not sure that bio will actually mesh that well with Xenocapability, with bio you can already specialize your dudes pretty well, +2 trait points might be excessive unless you're trying to make an über generalist. And a bunch of randomized traits is going to weaken your specialization most likely. If there's some even specialized combos that need +2 points though it might be good.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:33:24 pm by Criptfeind »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds howl again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: November 15, 2018, 02:33:38 pm »

Biological is currently the strongest and psi is currently the weakest. But bio requires a lot of micromanagement that won't be necessary or possible in the upcoming economy, which to me means they'll either be really really strong, or you'll constantly be screwed by how jobs and migration and all that stuff works and they'll suck.
And that is what I get for talking about meta when I haven't played the game properly in a while!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: November 15, 2018, 02:45:39 pm »

Honestly it's been that way for a long time (so I'm not sure why anyone would have ever said Psi was the strongest, but I'd be interested in knowing why) at one point synth was the best (I did a lot of very boring posts on this matter in this thread a while ago) but bio got buffed and synth got bugfixed or something so now bio is pretty clearly the bestest. Psi always had much weaker bonuses over all. A couple of minor bonuses to unity and research can't stack up to synth and ascended bio traits that give massive bonuses to everything. In theory some of the shroud stuff is good but that's super random and in my experience it's really rare to get the good stuff, and the basic stuff like targeting, jump and shields aren't worth it.

Imo from a mechanical perspective the big benefit of psi is you don't have to dump a ton of research into it, you just get it for free once you take the perk. Also the chosen one is clearly the coolest frood.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds howl again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: November 15, 2018, 02:54:48 pm »

Honestly it's been that way for a long time (so I'm not sure why anyone would have ever said Psi was the strongest, but I'd be interested in knowing why) at one point synth was the best (I did a lot of very boring posts on this matter in this thread a while ago) but bio got buffed and synth got bugfixed or something so now bio is pretty clearly the bestest. Psi always had much weaker bonuses over all. A couple of minor bonuses to unity and research can't stack up to synth and ascended bio traits that give massive bonuses to everything. In theory some of the shroud stuff is good but that's super random and in my experience it's really rare to get the good stuff, and the basic stuff like targeting, jump and shields aren't worth it.

Imo from a mechanical perspective the big benefit of psi is you don't have to dump a ton of research into it, you just get it for free once you take the perk. Also the chosen one is clearly the coolest frood.
I was basing it off when I last played the game extensively... which was when ascencions were added and psi has the most stuff going for it. Since then I've only done really short sessions and haven't gotten to ascension stuff again. Hence me speaking out of my backside.

greatorder

• Bay Watcher
  • [FAPPING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:42 pm »

Psi is the most interesting (IMO), but yeah the other two are better.

It'd be nice if having the Chosen One as a leader was better than it currently is.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: November 15, 2018, 05:17:04 pm »

Funny, I used to go bio ascension all of the time for flavor reasons, but i don't think I ever used it properly.  I usually just slapped Erudite and Robust (I think that was the advanced trait) on all of my pops, which was nice for the various +5% bonuses, but it takes two ascension perks to get there and a single perk point into the synth ascension path gives you cybernetics that almost match it.

The real strength with bio ascension was to make specialized pops, from what I gather, so your miners, energy producers and so on do even better than a flat +5% or +10% bonus would give.  That makes sense, I suppose.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds howl again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: November 15, 2018, 05:25:58 pm »

I could never figure out how to genemod specific pops on planets, only all of them.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: November 15, 2018, 05:31:20 pm »

I could never figure out how to genemod specific pops on planets, only all of them.

That was basically what you did as I recall. I used to make a planet do one thing and just stack every multiplier onto it I could, mineral planets that only produced minerals and only had mineral making pops on them, science planets with all science pops and so on. You lost out on some tile bonuses, but generally swamped them out on stacking % bonuses.

EDIT: Not played enough Stellaris since early after the machine empires came out, so not sure how it's done these days mind you.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:00:19 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: November 15, 2018, 05:32:46 pm »

I'm not actually sure that you can target individual pops, but I believe it works best if you already have a diverse population where you can do it by species.  So, if you've already got a Strong species, you make them Very Strong and Erudite or whatever and plop them down on a mine.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 560