Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671443 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7980 on: March 09, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »

Endless Space does hyperlanes + warp. Didn't MOO3 do that too?

(Honestly, Stellaris has looked like it took a huge amount of cues from MOO3 to me, albeit implemented far better than MOO3 ever hoped to.)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: March 11, 2019, 02:36:13 am »

And star ruler 1

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: March 11, 2019, 10:24:50 pm »

Well, the interesting thing about Star Ruler 1 is that you got everywhere with basic, impulse based drives. The ships turned around half way to the destination and thrust in the opposite direction to slow down.

It also had "warp", but that late game tech was basically just a teleporter.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: March 12, 2019, 12:00:57 am »

"sword of the stars" also had different "warp" methods for each race.... one that flys very slowly to a system, but then builds a gate for instant movement, one that slowly speeds up more and more, one that rifts to a system for a few turns like a hyperline for quicker movement i think.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: March 12, 2019, 07:32:55 am »

Yea Sword of the Stars is still one of my favourite 4x games. One of those reasons is that every race feels unique.
The Liir (space dolphins) had an ftl drive that sped up the further it was away from a planet
The Tarkan (space lizards) had a basic ftl drive that basically went from a to b. Not the fastest one but reliable at least.
The Hivers (space bugs) had a gate system. They didn't have an ftl drive, but once they reached a planet they could deploy a gate that would allow them to instantly travel between them. Late game they could unlock a slingshot like option that flung them towards a planet.
The humans (space apes) had the hyperlanes ftl drive. This one was basically the fastest, except for the gate of course.
The Morrigi (space dragons) had an ftl drive that got increased in speed the larger the fleet was.
The Zuul (space Marsupials/raccoons) had a mix between the human ftl drive and their own. They could basically use existing hyperlanes, or drill their own, which would be slower and only work temporarily.

The game had a lot more differences between all the races, but even the core (moving around) felt unique for all the races.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: March 14, 2019, 11:28:54 am »

I like the recent gameplay additions, but the AI is still horrendous. Even the EU4 + CK2 AIs are better, and I consider those extremely weak as well. Paradox should hire a decent AI coder.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:30:33 am by gimli »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: March 14, 2019, 12:21:33 pm »

Some people seem to think that the 2.2.6 beta did help the AI some and fixes the problem with it spamming precinct houses and not using ships in war.  The AI's economy management still sucks though, and 2.2.6 introduced some new bugs where colonies will start triggering unrest events while still under colonization.

I think the AI needs a significant rewrite, and maybe hiring a new developer dedicated to that would serve them well.  While they're at it, maybe they should rethink their entire QA process since apparently things like Prethoryn infestors are still broken, on top of the new bug mentioned above and the bad AI.  The bugginess can be ignored to a point and the game is still fun, but it's pretty embarrassing that the QA is still this bad.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: March 14, 2019, 12:48:51 pm »

2.2.6 introduced some new bugs where colonies will start triggering unrest events while still under colonization.
Heh, I assumed that was just Rogue Servitors.  Every colony under development was supposedly low-stability, but I never got any bad events from it. 

I did get low-stability events on developed planets later, due to unemployment.  Kinda annoying that there's no welfare-like solution to that, other than paying the pittance of energy to "mothball excess units" as a response to the event.
Seems like excess pop generating minor unity like in welfare would make sense, they're distributed computing nodes.  It'd be if they could produce amenities instead, particularly as Servitors.  Can a biotrophy ever really have enough personal Servitors?  (apparently)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: March 14, 2019, 04:03:30 pm »

I like the recent gameplay additions, but the AI is still horrendous. Even the EU4 + CK2 AIs are better, and I consider those extremely weak as well. Paradox should hire a decent AI coder.
It seems decent AI coders are tough to come by, since other areas (not games) can typically pay better.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: March 14, 2019, 04:36:47 pm »

It seems decent AI coders are tough to come by, since other areas (not games) can typically pay better.

Heh, while we are at it, this Civ 6. video gave me giggles. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=615&v=8aPwkXaw5z0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:40:44 pm by gimli »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: March 14, 2019, 05:09:23 pm »

This problem has nothing to do with the competence of the AI coder. These games run in real time with tens of AI operating at once. Even hundreds of AI at times. A good AI would require tons of calculations and decisions which would make the game play at a crawl. Paradox has made the trade-off of having a mediocre but efficient AI in its games and it's probably the best choice they could make in these constraints. Better to have some people bad-mouthing the AI instead of nobody playing because a tick takes forever to process.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: March 14, 2019, 07:57:09 pm »

This problem has nothing to do with the competence of the AI coder. These games run in real time with tens of AI operating at once. Even hundreds of AI at times. A good AI would require tons of calculations and decisions which would make the game play at a crawl. Paradox has made the trade-off of having a mediocre but efficient AI in its games and it's probably the best choice they could make in these constraints. Better to have some people bad-mouthing the AI instead of nobody playing because a tick takes forever to process.
Lol.

If only there was a game with decent AI that could operate thousands if not hundreds of thousands of simultaneous AI calculations at the same time per tick without compromising performance too much.

Yeah. I wonder what game that is. It would be really cool if it was programmed by basically one guy too...

Hmm... I wonder if there's any game like that. That could show people that somehow the god-tier programmers at Paradox have managed to strike a beautiful balance between game performance and AI calculations.

Yes, if only there was some living proof out there that there is literally no alternative to improve their AI (especially not by some half-assed modder by all means) without sacrificing performance a single iota.

Hell, if only there was some other Paradox game that ran AI calculations on the individual person level with literally tens of thousands of AI characters working in real time and still had a game that was very playable. Too bad no other such games exist in their catalogue. Hell, maybe not even that. Maybe some Paradox games that even ran a few hundred countries at the same time could prove a good example too.

Sigh, we just have to accept games have to suck ass on the AI side of things because we run caveman computers from 60,000 BC, doing their calculations based off the evaporation rate of amber from the sap of trees.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: March 14, 2019, 08:20:03 pm »

To be fair though, those other games don't require the AI decide if any individual planet needs 3 precinct houses, or if it can get away with just 2.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: March 14, 2019, 08:35:15 pm »

To be fair though, those other games don't require the AI decide if any individual planet needs 3 precinct houses, or if it can get away with just 2.
Code: [Select]
while = {
    limit = {
        i_am_the_law = no
    }
    build_precinct_house = yes
}
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: March 14, 2019, 11:18:11 pm »

Lol.

If only there was a game with decent AI that could operate thousands if not hundreds of thousands of simultaneous AI calculations at the same time per tick without compromising performance too much.

Yeah. I wonder what game that is. It would be really cool if it was programmed by basically one guy too...

Hmm... I wonder if there's any game like that. That could show people that somehow the god-tier programmers at Paradox have managed to strike a beautiful balance between game performance and AI calculations.

Yes, if only there was some living proof out there that there is literally no alternative to improve their AI (especially not by some half-assed modder by all means) without sacrificing performance a single iota.

Hell, if only there was some other Paradox game that ran AI calculations on the individual person level with literally tens of thousands of AI characters working in real time and still had a game that was very playable. Too bad no other such games exist in their catalogue. Hell, maybe not even that. Maybe some Paradox games that even ran a few hundred countries at the same time could prove a good example too.

Sigh, we just have to accept games have to suck ass on the AI side of things because we run caveman computers from 60,000 BC, doing their calculations based off the evaporation rate of amber from the sap of trees.
The goal of the DF AI is to convince the player that the world is populated by people who have lives outside what the player does.  The goal of the Stellaris AI is to compete on equal terms with a human in a game that's real time with pause.  Not equivalent at all.  Since people anthropomorphize Stellaris races very readily I'd point out that Stellaris has already achieved the standard DF is trying to meet.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 632