Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671909 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8010 on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:41 am »

Ah, the trader enclaves.  Yeah, those were made largely irrelevant with the market introduced in 2.2.  The ones that give unity and research speed are worth using, but not really worth paying for DLC for.  Utopia is definitely the most important one to start with.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: March 15, 2019, 10:51:52 am »

Utopia does look pretty neat. As a sort of DF player, I'm sold at the mention of megastructures.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: March 15, 2019, 10:56:58 am »

I now find myself in possession of the base Stellaris game. Would you all suggest diving in or are any of the DLC absolute must-haves for a newbie?

None of them are must haves and I'd suggest diving in unless you really already know that you'll like the game AND that some particular part of a dlc attracts your attention.

As many flaws as the game has and how much I sometimes hate on it in this thread, imo what they've done right is their dlc policy (at least, from my perspective) is that they've made the dlcs very optional. Most of them add relatively little and over time the largest things from the dlc have actually been taken out of the dlc and added to the base game. Unlike many other games where the dlcs are needed to make them good like civ or even other paradox games. Of course this does mean the dlc value for money is pretty low, but for when you're just starting, expseically if you don't know if you'll enjoy it, it means dlcs are very not needed.

If you know you'll enjoy the game, things like Utopia or Megacorp if you want to build big things and Synthetic Dawn if you want to play as robots are the next steps.

Utopia has about half the megastructures and Megacorp has the other half. I personally like the Utopia ones more, but depends on what captures your imagination.

Playing as robots a lot isn't my thing, so I don't rate Synthetic dawn that highly, but if you like playing as robots it probably has the most content for money.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:02:48 am by Criptfeind »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: March 15, 2019, 01:31:04 pm »

Playing as robots a lot isn't my thing, so I don't rate Synthetic dawn that highly, but if you like playing as robots it probably has the most content for money.

Do be aware that machine empires are gestalt intelligences, though, so playing as Synthetic Dawn's robots deactivates some of the base game content. Even a new player interested in playing as robots might want to aim for synthetic ascension instead and leave Synthetic Dawn for the next sale or something while they experience ethics-based decisions and factions and happiness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: March 29, 2019, 06:30:50 pm »

.........................So like what, exactly the way sectors were way back when originally, but with an auto-sector button?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8016 on: March 29, 2019, 06:53:48 pm »

.........................So like what, exactly the way sectors were way back when originally, but with an auto-sector button?
No?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: March 29, 2019, 08:10:05 pm »

The only feature I see that's new is auto-stuff, like auto budgeting and auto allocating system to a sector.

It's all stuff you did manually in like, 1.0. Sorry if I came off as super negative, I'm not saying this is necessarily bad Less manual work is good. It still looks like revision to the old system but the AI handles/can handle management.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: March 29, 2019, 08:47:24 pm »

The only feature I see that's new is auto-stuff, like auto budgeting and auto allocating system to a sector.
Sectors will newly be designated from sector capitals, which completely redefines them. And there's frontier space now. Calling those things pure addition may be an exaggeration, but it's a change that adds more than it subtracts, from the sound of it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: March 29, 2019, 08:49:37 pm »

The sector AI will probably become somewhat more competent with the ability to set a goal for specific planets (agri-world, etc) or an entire sector. It's the main advantage I see here.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8020 on: March 29, 2019, 09:17:27 pm »

It's all stuff you did manually in like, 1.0. Sorry if I came off as super negative, I'm not saying this is necessarily bad Less manual work is good. It still looks like revision to the old system but the AI handles/can handle management.
Did you actually read it though?

What's new:

1. Sectors are designated from sector capitals now, rather than arbitrary groups of stars (or hundreds of them in one sector). All stars within a certain range of the capital will be in the sector.
2. Possible expansion of sector policies/types rather than focusing on a single economic zone (energy, minerals, research)
3. Sector Budget, ongoing contribution from empire resources into a global 'sector budget' which the sectors can pull from when their own funds are low. Now you won't have to go down the sector list and click to add to each sector's budget every few years I guess.
4. Maybe sector types? He mentioned an 'occupation zone' for example.

That is all different from how sectors were before, and how they work now.

Other stuff:

Possible auto-build for construction ships. That is all construction ships, not just sectors.
Possibility to set planet 'type' (mining world, agriworld) at the start rather than trying to trigger it when the triggering conditions aren't clear.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: March 30, 2019, 01:34:23 am »

My prediction:

The new sectors sound really good on paper, but end up being about 3/4ths as good as the old sectors were (not that I'm saying old sectors were good) and simultaneously twice as annoying to use. The AI is completely incapable of handling them and ends up even worse at the game, they release a token patch that does not really help and call it good enough, so they can move on to some other shiny feature that will sell more DLC.

Just like every other update.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8022 on: March 30, 2019, 08:21:39 am »

My prediction:

The new sectors sound really good on paper, but end up being about 3/4ths as good as the old sectors were (not that I'm saying old sectors were good) and simultaneously twice as annoying to use. The AI is completely incapable of handling them and ends up even worse at the game, they release a token patch that does not really help and call it good enough, so they can move on to some other shiny feature that will sell more DLC.

Who hurt you?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: March 30, 2019, 08:27:47 am »

My prediction:

Who hurt you?

paradox?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: March 30, 2019, 11:01:45 am »

There's a governor rework mentioned as well, so as to make them more sectorian and less planety.

One thing I see mentioned nowhere is what seems inevitable to me: the addition of a tech or three in the society tree that increases the X in "all planets X jumps from the sector capital".
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 632