Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658925 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8070 on: May 08, 2019, 08:28:44 am »

I wonder if Paradox plans to allow the AI to discover precursors again with this update.  Supposedly that used to be possible, but they disabled it because the AI would grab artifacts and then suddenly the player could never finish the precursor event chain.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: May 08, 2019, 08:57:42 am »

Friiiick, I'm still jonesing for Megacorp.  Do we think it's going on sale soon?  Maybe when this coming DLC comes out, right?  I'd love to finally pick up Apocalypse too, but more for Life Seeded/PostApoc/BarbaricDespoilers than the silly colossi.
Fair warning, all three of those kinda suck. Post-apocalyptic used to be good, but it was nerfed, life seeded was incidentally nerfed by the new economy, but will probably get better with more accessible habitats, and despoilers have never been good and likely never will be in the foreseeable future - raiding doesn't give you enough pops to make up for the mechanical detriments of having diverse races with the new population growth system, so having to permanently pay a slot for it is definitely not worth it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: May 08, 2019, 09:09:38 am »

Life-seeded is at least thematically fun, but it was arguably more fun and definitely more challenging before 2.2.  In 2.2 you can still colonize anywhere as a life-seeded species and just have much higher pop upkeep.  That does lead to some serious economic drain if you overextend yourself early on, which makes early colonization a tiny bit more tactical.  It's made me wonder if they should seriously increase the penalties for low habitability to make all empires have to really stop and think before grabbing every last habitable planet in their space.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: May 08, 2019, 12:41:33 pm »

Life-seeded is at least thematically fun, but it was arguably more fun and definitely more challenging before 2.2.  In 2.2 you can still colonize anywhere as a life-seeded species and just have much higher pop upkeep.  That does lead to some serious economic drain if you overextend yourself early on, which makes early colonization a tiny bit more tactical.  It's made me wonder if they should seriously increase the penalties for low habitability to make all empires have to really stop and think before grabbing every last habitable planet in their space.
The new guy says he does intend to make low habitability more harsh again.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: May 09, 2019, 09:39:57 am »

Today's dev diary: link.

Some improvements coming to sectors, and better colony automation.  This has been a big issue for a lot of people since 2.2 so it's good that they're working on it.  I'll hold my breath on the automatic building working well, but maybe they'll surprise me.

I imagine most people will be happy just to be able to manually specify sector capitals now.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: May 09, 2019, 10:13:43 am »

Well, the new automation is just a hand-crafted build order that you pick from a list, so you only get what you take. It will probably suck in the upcoming release but I can see it being worth using in the future when it's been fine tuned.

It's a bit disappointing how many of the discussed features won't make the next update, but whatever, it's been three years already, what's one more?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: May 09, 2019, 10:58:35 am »

Ideally we'd be able to specify our build orders, but it sounds like it's going to just be presets you pick from.  Still better than nothing I suppose, and at least opens the possibility up for player made lists in the future.  If the presets don't take up every building slot so that there's some customization, and if you can still manually build on a planet that is set to use the automation, that might be good enough.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: May 09, 2019, 02:49:31 pm »

Ideally we'd be able to specify our build orders, but it sounds like it's going to just be presets you pick from.  Still better than nothing I suppose, and at least opens the possibility up for player made lists in the future.  If the presets don't take up every building slot so that there's some customization, and if you can still manually build on a planet that is set to use the automation, that might be good enough.
The dev log is explicit about what happens, and doesn't say anything about preventing you from building, and the description implies that it won't have any reason to do that. Furthermore, it doesn't change anything you've already built.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: May 09, 2019, 03:03:36 pm »

Stellaris is on Sale due to its 3-year anniversary (yay!). I'll use the opportunity to snag some DLCs, since I only really played it on release. I've been watching some Stellaris videos and damn it changed a whole lot.

It really won't help my wallet watching Paradox games videos, since now I want CK2, Cities Skylines, Stellaris and Tropico 6 and their DLCs, so I'll definitely be waiting for sales (and also for time to play all of those..  :P).
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: May 09, 2019, 03:41:20 pm »

Stellaris is on Sale due to its 3-year anniversary (yay!).
MOTHERF- oh Megacorp only went down to $15.99, so I still got a better deal a couple days ago from Paul's link (thanks Paul!)

Fair enough since it's the most recent and all.  I've been enjoying it a lot, too!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: May 11, 2019, 04:42:57 pm »

I like the sound of a shared sector stockpile. Simply budgeting for all non-core colonies sounds like it would make things easier.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8081 on: May 12, 2019, 05:53:37 am »

Darnit Paradox, every time I think "Okay, it's been awhile since my last playthrough of *insert game here*" there's a Dev Diary that makes me want to wait for the new features xD Or there's an update that breaks the mod I wanted to play and I don't want to go through the hassle of rolling back.

I mean, after every one of these releases I play it for at least a month and add like 100 hours of playtime to it (really wish you could turn that off on Steam, I don't want to know how much of my life I've wasted -_-), so it's not like I'm not getting my moneys worth each time...

Also, despite those hundreds of hours I *legitimately did not know that Precursor spawns weren't randomised*. I just never noticed 0_o
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:07:52 am by MorleyDev »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: May 14, 2019, 05:56:26 pm »

Ancient Relics announced

Ain't nothing we don't know already.

I... am actually am indiferent towards this?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: May 14, 2019, 06:37:04 pm »

Me too, to a point.  I'm interested in some of the general improvements for 2.3, like with ringworlds, but the story pack itself is just so-so to me.  We'll have to wait and see what other details emerge with thime.  I'm hoping they take some time to do proper origin civics in this DLC instead of having them eat up normal civic slots, for example.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8084 on: May 14, 2019, 06:52:01 pm »

Really could use combat that isn't a purely numbers-based game...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 632