Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1669716 times)

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8145 on: June 04, 2019, 12:09:41 pm »

Thanks for the headsup. Was supposed to get an email from the store I bought from on release, but didn't happen.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: June 04, 2019, 02:01:02 pm »

I was going to try to exercise some restraint and avoid jumping on it immediately after it launched, but I ended up finishing my last 2.2 game last night so I might do that when I get home...

I'm really looking forward to the habitat and megastructure changes so I might be happy with just the patch for a while, but I've put over 500 hours into this game so far so it's arguably been worth the money even if I buy another DLC...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: June 04, 2019, 11:26:27 pm »

Yes, thinking along the same lines. I'm already invested in the game, so would get the DLC anyhow, only question is when and at what cost. Aiming to start a new vanilla campaign soon, and there was a decent discount, so dlc criteria met. :P
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: June 05, 2019, 08:12:17 am »

Against my better judgment, I broke down and bought the DLC last night instead of waiting for a patch or two.  At least I didn't preorder it, but it still sends a message to Paradox that I'll buy stuff on the first day even if they haven't put it through serious QA...

Despite my fears I didn't run into any bugs though.  Supposedly, robot job prioritization is very broken right now, but I'd only just unlocked the tech when I had to quit so I didn't get to experience that.  I didn't have any problems launching the game like a few people have reported either.

I didn't really get much chance to see the new features though due to a bad start.  I had a single dig site in my borders, where my neighbors all had 2-4 in theirs, and one even had a relic world.  You can only perform archaeology digs in sites within your borders, which makes sense I guess.  The one dig site I got to play around with was kind of cool, but in the end the archaeology system works more or less like I expected: it's special projects with multiple steps that just take a random amount of time to complete now.  I like that there's a little more interactivity there now and that it has the potential to keep the discovery phase of the game going past the early game, but I got unlucky so I exhausted it all within 20 game years.

I also didn't get a chance to use any minor artifacts.  I picked up one from that dig site, if I remember right, and maybe a dozen from the Irassian precursor event chain, but never could figure out how to do anything with them.  I believe you have to research one or more technologies to make use of them, but I didn't get any of the tech cards by 2230.  I expected there to be an indicator somewhere of how many you had though, which I couldn't find.  Maybe that only shows up once you research the techs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8149 on: June 05, 2019, 08:57:45 am »

I've found that relic worlds are not much help early on. I have two of them but they have huge expensive blockers and are fairly small as far as districts go. You can eventually make them into an ecumenopolis but only once you have the gravity engineering tech which is much later.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: June 05, 2019, 09:09:03 am »

Is that only for Fen Habbanis III, or all relic worlds?

I was wondering if relic worlds would be worth turning into research planets.  The small number of districts kind of sucks, but they get +15% to all research output, right?  If you built nothing but city districts and got some housing bonus techs then you might be able to get enough pops working research jobs to be worth it, but it sounds like it's probably not worth it compared to just turning it into an ecumenopolis so you can get the consumer goods, alloys and trade value too.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: June 05, 2019, 12:57:48 pm »

Holy geez Null Void Beam is amazing early-to-mid game.

I've started slowly phasing it out in favor of higher-level kinetics, but wow it makes enemy shields utterly meaningless for quite some time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8152 on: June 05, 2019, 04:15:38 pm »

I really want to get into Stellaris, but every time I sit down to start a game, I realize I need to spend three hours playing the early game and seeing the same anomalies and I quit to do anything else.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: June 05, 2019, 06:51:35 pm »

I really want to get into Stellaris, but every time I sit down to start a game, I realize I need to spend three hours playing the early game and seeing the same anomalies and I quit to do anything else.

depending on how long ago that was, they've actually updated things quite a bit

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: June 05, 2019, 06:59:42 pm »

The new DLC will help with that at least, since that's the entire point, but otherwise... yeah, I get the sentiment.  I don't really read the anomalies anymore and just click to research or ignore them depending on the difficulty at the time, and I've seen probably every event by now so I don't read them either.

If you haven't played since 2.2 I would suggest at least giving it a chance.  The change in the economy should keep the game interesting for a while at least.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8155 on: June 07, 2019, 05:21:39 am »

Also there are already 2.3 compatible more events mods out there if you want more of that sweet sweet narrative and don't care for achievements.

Anyhoo, doing a Life Seeded Agrarian Idyll Pacifist Fanatic Materialist play (basically building super tall and rushing ALL OF THE SCIENCE). Then I got the Boal precursor and...holy heck the Boal reward is a powerful for tall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 06:19:13 am by MorleyDev »

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: June 08, 2019, 05:00:43 am »

Thirty years into the game I got a titan. Then my neighbour declared war, which they, of course lost, only to unlock an artifact with a guard that got disabled after ten titan sorties, :P Good start. Unfortunately, caravans get stuck at your home planet now. And did they ever fix the utopian abundance super exploit?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: June 08, 2019, 05:56:15 am »

Thirty years into the game I got a titan. Then my neighbour declared war, which they, of course lost, only to unlock an artifact with a guard that got disabled after ten titan sorties, :P Good start. Unfortunately, caravans get stuck at your home planet now. And did they ever fix the utopian abundance super exploit?
I too got a titan once. Then I upgraded the fleet it was in, and it was refitted to some barebones basic design. So watch out for that.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: June 08, 2019, 06:05:28 am »

Yea, I learned that the hard way from the star trek mod, where you never should upgrade the Enterprise :P

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8159 on: June 08, 2019, 07:27:37 am »

Ah the free titan. Great if you get it, terrible if the AI does, absolutely awful if you lose it in battle since then the AI can study the debris and unlock all that late game tech.

Early-Game Fanatic Purifiers with Dark Matter Deflectors is just gg galaxy, see you next cycle.
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 632