Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547]

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 625450 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8190 on: June 21, 2019, 03:47:34 pm »

It probably is intentional, since I don't think attrition is suspended under any other circumstances.  It's just a frustrating example of being unable to make the enemy more willing to give up despite destroying everything they have militarily and even capturing their territory.

The biggest thing, I think, is that losing a system or planet in a total war (or maybe it's just the War in Heaven that works this way) should cause war exhaustion.  Losing a planet is a lot more catastrophic than losing a few ships, after all.
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: June 21, 2019, 05:39:21 pm »

Hmmm, so in my current game, the Great Khan popped up, but instead of conquering anyone, he keeps sending his fleets through the L-Gate. Once he lost all his event-spawned ships to the re-spawning Grey Goo, he got some more event spawned ships, and now he's sending those through the L-Gate, too. Which keeps spawning more fleets, too.

thinking_face.jpg

Theory: It's because the shortest path to his target is through an L-Gate and out the next L-Gate. Sort of like how if you don't specifically tell them not to all your reinforcements will path tight through the system with a dimensional horror one by one.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: June 21, 2019, 06:36:32 pm »

I'm sure that's what it is. As semi-anecdotal evidence, I shall cite how processing slows down as soon as the L-gate opens and suddenly there's a whole bunch more node connections for the pathfinding algorithm to account for.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: June 21, 2019, 11:10:09 pm »

I get the feeling that the battle report includes ships that disengaged before warping out or is calculating based on obsolete formulas while the war only pick actually destroyed ships. War fatigue is stupid anyway, you could be rolling over the entire territory but because the enemy can't even shake a stick in your direction you are not winning the war.
These are just units destroyed. I watched the battle, and read the fleet report, these units were scratched not disengaged. The war score screen is consistently incorrect about casualties. If it wasn't then the issue would be that combat reports listed units as being destroyed incorrectly.

As part of a mod I found a world of colossal psionic primitives on an unappealing little world. Their psionic abilities reduced bombardment effectiveness by %1000 they were 40k strong and they had units so jammed full of health that it was almost impossible to grind them down. Obviously you're supposed to ignore them or maybe study them but humanity has it's pride and I committed 50k worth of gene soldiers backed by advanced slave armies. Problem is their tanky and hit really hard so my units are being slaughtered before they really deal damage. I dedicate every single world to cranking out army units and sending them to reinforce in a constant chain. The battle went on for years. I burned through 7 generals but I finally ground the bastards down, enslaved them, and gene modded them into cute little fox people.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:41:59 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: June 26, 2019, 11:02:13 pm »

... cute little fox people.

The ends justify the means.

Microing all those armies was probably fun, wasn't it?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • One two three, DEATH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:22 am »

I've discovered an interesting bug about the Khan. Hive minded pops aren't auto-purged in their empire.
Best way to report bugs, is via Paradox's main Stellaris forums.
Just saying.
Steam: Ultimuh
Kongregate: Ultimuh
Guns Of Icarus: Uriel Ultim
World Of Tanks (eu): Ultimuh
War Thunder: Ultimuh
FFXIV A REALM REBORN: Uriel Ultim (Cereberus) Kurinrin Krillinlin (Leviathan)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: June 27, 2019, 07:09:16 am »

... cute little fox people.

The ends justify the means.

Microing all those armies was probably fun, wasn't it?
You'd think it would be a pain in the ass but it was a joyful experience. It was a delight to feed wave after wave of troops into the engine of endless war and my aching wrist was a fair price.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: June 27, 2019, 09:03:15 am »

There's a true lack of 40k scale ground conflict like that in Stellaris.

Anyway, I decided to try a small change of pace and set up a game where there was only a single AI empire, which was force spawned as a determined exterminator.  No fallen empires, no marauders, no caravaneers.  The idea was that I was going to build up peacefully, with minimal or no military, until I blundered into the exterminators.  I was hoping that it would be interesting to have to suddenly build up a large navy using the infrastructure I'd built along the way, and I actually have no idea how hard it would be.  The AI is on commodore difficulty, and I haven't run into them yet, so I have no idea what their navy looks like even though I'm sure I'm far ahead of them in tech.

I made a mistake though.  I wanted to build ultra wide for a change and just cover the galaxy until I ran into the kill bots.  I ended up running into the Prikkiki-Ti around 2280, and it's the first time I've personally found that anomaly.  I decided to leave them alone because I didn't want their empire to spawn... which led to them spawning a decade or so later.  Oops.  Now I have this annoying little patch of space with an AI empire I didn't want to exist.  I guess you're supposed to fix the shield if you don't want them to spawn?
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547]