Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1659047 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8205 on: June 21, 2019, 05:39:21 pm »

Hmmm, so in my current game, the Great Khan popped up, but instead of conquering anyone, he keeps sending his fleets through the L-Gate. Once he lost all his event-spawned ships to the re-spawning Grey Goo, he got some more event spawned ships, and now he's sending those through the L-Gate, too. Which keeps spawning more fleets, too.

thinking_face.jpg

Theory: It's because the shortest path to his target is through an L-Gate and out the next L-Gate. Sort of like how if you don't specifically tell them not to all your reinforcements will path tight through the system with a dimensional horror one by one.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: June 21, 2019, 06:36:32 pm »

I'm sure that's what it is. As semi-anecdotal evidence, I shall cite how processing slows down as soon as the L-gate opens and suddenly there's a whole bunch more node connections for the pathfinding algorithm to account for.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: June 21, 2019, 11:10:09 pm »

I get the feeling that the battle report includes ships that disengaged before warping out or is calculating based on obsolete formulas while the war only pick actually destroyed ships. War fatigue is stupid anyway, you could be rolling over the entire territory but because the enemy can't even shake a stick in your direction you are not winning the war.
These are just units destroyed. I watched the battle, and read the fleet report, these units were scratched not disengaged. The war score screen is consistently incorrect about casualties. If it wasn't then the issue would be that combat reports listed units as being destroyed incorrectly.

As part of a mod I found a world of colossal psionic primitives on an unappealing little world. Their psionic abilities reduced bombardment effectiveness by %1000 they were 40k strong and they had units so jammed full of health that it was almost impossible to grind them down. Obviously you're supposed to ignore them or maybe study them but humanity has it's pride and I committed 50k worth of gene soldiers backed by advanced slave armies. Problem is their tanky and hit really hard so my units are being slaughtered before they really deal damage. I dedicate every single world to cranking out army units and sending them to reinforce in a constant chain. The battle went on for years. I burned through 7 generals but I finally ground the bastards down, enslaved them, and gene modded them into cute little fox people.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:41:59 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: June 26, 2019, 11:02:13 pm »

... cute little fox people.

The ends justify the means.

Microing all those armies was probably fun, wasn't it?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:22 am »

I've discovered an interesting bug about the Khan. Hive minded pops aren't auto-purged in their empire.
Best way to report bugs, is via Paradox's main Stellaris forums.
Just saying.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: June 27, 2019, 07:09:16 am »

... cute little fox people.

The ends justify the means.

Microing all those armies was probably fun, wasn't it?
You'd think it would be a pain in the ass but it was a joyful experience. It was a delight to feed wave after wave of troops into the engine of endless war and my aching wrist was a fair price.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: June 27, 2019, 09:03:15 am »

There's a true lack of 40k scale ground conflict like that in Stellaris.

Anyway, I decided to try a small change of pace and set up a game where there was only a single AI empire, which was force spawned as a determined exterminator.  No fallen empires, no marauders, no caravaneers.  The idea was that I was going to build up peacefully, with minimal or no military, until I blundered into the exterminators.  I was hoping that it would be interesting to have to suddenly build up a large navy using the infrastructure I'd built along the way, and I actually have no idea how hard it would be.  The AI is on commodore difficulty, and I haven't run into them yet, so I have no idea what their navy looks like even though I'm sure I'm far ahead of them in tech.

I made a mistake though.  I wanted to build ultra wide for a change and just cover the galaxy until I ran into the kill bots.  I ended up running into the Prikkiki-Ti around 2280, and it's the first time I've personally found that anomaly.  I decided to leave them alone because I didn't want their empire to spawn... which led to them spawning a decade or so later.  Oops.  Now I have this annoying little patch of space with an AI empire I didn't want to exist.  I guess you're supposed to fix the shield if you don't want them to spawn?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: October 15, 2019, 03:14:58 pm »

So Paradox announced a mobile game called Stellaris: Galaxy Command.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-galaxy-command-has-arrived.1258985/

Paradox outsourced its production to a Chinese firm called Gamebear.  Within hours of the announcement, they were caught using stolen artwork from Halo.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-mobile-halo-artwork.1259029/

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: October 15, 2019, 03:21:09 pm »

Oh boy.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: October 15, 2019, 05:12:30 pm »

yikes. Apparently it got taken down though?

From the official twitter.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: October 15, 2019, 05:30:23 pm »

Seems like the right response to the situation to me.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: October 15, 2019, 06:07:38 pm »

Blizzard probably would have just erased the UNSC logo and weaseled up some kind of "we're sorry that you're making us change this" response until the artist complained or something.

So y'kno, good for Paradox.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: October 15, 2019, 07:09:52 pm »

I'm glad they're being up front about it and fixing the problem, but man, Paradox just can't seem to get a Stellaris release right.  I feel a little bad for them, but only a little.

I would say this is yet more evidence that they don't check anything they release, but this seems like something that would pretty easily slip through the cracks for a QA team.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: October 16, 2019, 12:40:19 am »

My little Directorate had a grand rise, and a majestic fall.

It began on the world Slerrenica. A world of vast oceans, archipilagos and a species with a cleverness unmatched world wide.

Their first exploration out into the stars saw only the bones of civilization past.  It took three years of explorative efforts before first contact was held with an alien species, a hivemind that was utterly unknowable.

After a hundred years of successive contacts, expansion and a needle-thin possibility of a Federation, the Directorate has a cascade: A incredibly bloodless revolution that resulted in a Syndicate of a freer, a more demagogic governmental structure that completely turned around on the cultural materialist values, and further gratifying the egalitarian values of the society.

They had the gift, and it burned to consciousness in the following weeks.

Synthetic WarForm X-193, the leader at the time of the revolution was thrown down, and all synthetics were promptly banned, all worker systems shut down. Nevermind the rumors of leader "War-Form" did not have a psychic presence, it is merely a condition that he suffers, that he does so he can trully lead and give the rest of his psychic peers wisdom.

The hivemind mentioned earlier was a constant looming blade over the old Directorate, and a massive fleet was assembled, maintained and expanded on every decade.  It was used to clear out the Psychic Malstrom on the other end of a wormhole, and to smash the alien drake and to further peace in the Syndicate Space.  Trade was the forefront of the fleet's resposibility, and massive starbases were built all over the burgeoning trade routes.

The Directorate that was thrown down had left them a "gift". They had forsaken their people in their lust for the stars. A hundred worlds was marched upon, and a thousand stars were claimed in the name of the Directorate, and while this almost lead to the coqnuering of the Directorate several times,  the economic power of the Directorates forge worlds was undeniable.

The syndicate had to use them, at first to assemble the gateways that united the empire together, destroying the need for the expensive star bases and allowing more efficent trade ways.

And htan it was to assemble the guns and ships required to fend off a technologically superior force.

The Archivists, a small concentrated empire of fallen materialists, too bound, too focussed on their ancient research had once saw the Yaerian People as a pet project, a product of the Directorates intense research doctrines, but something stirred them awake.

No one really knows why the war in heaven started. No one knows why the two ancient, ancient empires, so frightfully damn close to the Syndicates borders had started, or why. (I sent a Psychic probe to an unrelated empire.)

The result was the same regardless. The Regulators marched relentlessly towards a decapitating blow for the Yaerian Syndicates homeworld. The fleets, Every single patrol vessel, fast-response ship, cruiser squadron as well as Titan Fleet was recalled to the Homeworld. The Na Ethor Etante, the non-aligned federation of the galaxies various (3) independents lended no less than a hundred and three derelects ancient vessals from another era for the defense of Slerrenica.

Using recently developed nanite swell fields, Every single ship was reconfigured into the Yaerian Standard, and these ships  withered the first strike by the Regulators "Stellar Rectric" fleets. Fifty vessels were destroyed with casualties far below projections, as the fight was figured to have been roughly even in firepower.

Two fleets were assigned for pacification of the Slerrenica, and with being outgunned 3-1, the entire fleet, including Militia FLeet, led by no one else than War-Form, was slaughtered to the last.

There were resistances afterward. A fleet or two of half-reinforced fallen empires in a chance encounter, A surge to take bac th Homeworld, but the war machine ran out of supplies in under three years, the various stocks of an entire empire emptied out over a long, brutal war.

Slerrenica was burnt. After the first resurgence battle, a world cracker had been used on the world, along with several others, including Uldrugg, Cursa Prime, and TUggam.

The Syndicates territory was then cut up and split among the various despoilers of the war in heaven.

Some say a rather proud resistance movement is in the shadows. It is mostly dismissed.

The two links below are of two pictures, one, about 50~ before the War in heaven and the other right when I stopped playing because I couldn't go 10 years without going into what I thought was a no-win scenario.
https://i.imgur.com/dEuMw8k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/h9QaFOH.jpg
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:56:21 am by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: October 16, 2019, 05:33:03 pm »

I'm glad they're being up front about it and fixing the problem, but man, Paradox just can't seem to get a Stellaris release right.  I feel a little bad for them, but only a little.

I would say this is yet more evidence that they don't check anything they release, but this seems like something that would pretty easily slip through the cracks for a QA team.

their QA team never touched it. it's 100% made by a Chinese studio and it's apparently just a re-skin of the Chinese company's game, Nova Empire. in fact there were some error messages where they forgot to change the name "Nova Empire" to "Stellaris" - https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/diah5m/stellaris_galaxy_straight_up_tells_you_its_a/

I really don't know why anyone gives Paradox the benefit of the doubt anymore. they peaked with CK2 and EU4 and it's been downhill, at various speeds, since then.
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 632