Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1667378 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8385 on: February 03, 2020, 12:03:19 pm »

Yeah, seems like I've read about people doing that, where the different purge types that produce resources produce stupid amounts at almost no cost because of that.  I never purge anything myself, but this does give another example of how the current pop growth and decline system needs some serious work.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: February 03, 2020, 04:02:17 pm »

yeah i mean everything about the current implementation is mostly garbage. it's basically impossible for the AI to get right, as well as being a huge drain on your computer's resources because of the size of the optimization problem.

i mean the stellaris economy has never been right. never. it's always been absolute trash. we dozens of highly finnicky and customizable sources of resources and production, aka planets, yet we have global pools of resources that completely disengage your ship production from your resource harvesting and refining. it's just dumb.

and yeah, the pop/species management system is atrocious. just utter garbage.

so glad that games like eu4 and ck2 abstract all of this stuff, because stellaris absolutely proves that pds is incapable of designing and implementing a more detailed system.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8387 on: February 03, 2020, 06:59:59 pm »

What happened to the vic2 economy programmer?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: February 03, 2020, 08:09:12 pm »

IIRC he just kinda disappeared after leaving the company, seeing as they can't even begin to decode how the economy functioned if I recall what I read right.

Spoiler: hot take (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8389 on: February 04, 2020, 05:55:35 am »

Ah. Shame he left. I agree the vic2 economy isn't perfect; no services economy, pops always being perfectly protectionist so tariffs don't actually do anything to keep out foreign goods e.t.c., but it was damn good. I would've hoped the hermetic monk who developed such a system which was fairly benign to computers would've been able to develop something spicier in the 10 years since but if they've departed, it's likely we'll never see them again until they've found King Arthur & Tupac

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: February 04, 2020, 03:20:45 pm »

Hm, Imperator: Rome has individual pops and an "economy*".

*Economy in that pops give specific resources in the form of gold, research, troops, or commerce (other gold).  And trade goods give bonuses instead of actual stuff, and the trading is abstracted again for gold.  Still, they have a developer tinkering with Imperator: Rome, and I've wondered why.  Perhaps they're using it to experiment on replacements for the system in Stellaris.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: February 29, 2020, 10:21:21 am »

> we fixed federations, that'd be 19.99$

wait what

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: February 29, 2020, 11:07:30 am »

wait what
Are you really surprised?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: March 01, 2020, 06:59:45 pm »

So I went and decided to boot this up on my new comp.  Got steam working fine.  Got my dlc in order.  Load -> crash on launcher.  Exception log says its a memory access problem, but not only is the computer new, the solutions Ive seen online dont seem to help?

Something about permissions?  idk, but it looks like its explicitly a problem with paradox games.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: March 01, 2020, 08:33:29 pm »

The launcher crashes?  You might be able to bypass it and just run the game directly, but I'm not sure how exactly.

wait what

I'm curious if they actually fixed the problems with federations or just added new mechanics.  I'm specifically thinking of things like the 1,000 empty fleets that show up in the fleet manager because the AI keeps building corvettes, one at a time, to reinforce the federation fleet.  I know they made some changes to fleet reinforcements, so maybe they did.

Unrelated, but I had a humorous bug in my current game: a determined exterminator suffered a rebellion, which produced an empire of one system and two planets that were ostensibly controlled by a new reptilian empire despite the exterminators being avian designs.  The planets had no organic pops as far as I can tell and only had robots that were disassembling.

I didn't know gestalts could even have rebellions, much less have any idea where the reptilians came from.  This was a special game I set up with just the exterminators as the only other AI, and no primitives.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:52:27 pm by Telgin »

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: March 03, 2020, 12:58:16 pm »

Maybe the game generated some kind of event that forces a rebellion but didn't have any valid targets?
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: March 03, 2020, 01:04:03 pm »

Very likely so.  I'm still a little curious how it happened in the first place, but when there's one bug there's dozens of them.  I also bumbled into the bug where a dig site took 32,000 days to excavate for some unknowable reason, with no obvious way to reset or fix it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: March 03, 2020, 02:34:44 pm »

it's likely we'll never see them again until they've found King Arthur & Tupac

Breaking news: Tupac is an immortal, was also King Arthur.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: March 04, 2020, 10:54:06 am »

I'm curious if they actually fixed the problems with federations or just added new mechanics.  I'm specifically thinking of things like the 1,000 empty fleets that show up in the fleet manager because the AI keeps building corvettes, one at a time, to reinforce the federation fleet.  I know they made some changes to fleet reinforcements, so maybe they did.

I'm guessing that they've added more mechanics with very little to no regard for how these mechanics actually interact with already existing mechanics, as that seems to have been the M.O. since around 2.0 I guess

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: March 04, 2020, 12:24:29 pm »

The launcher crashes?  You might be able to bypass it and just run the game directly, but I'm not sure how exactly.

wait what

Probably both.  I agree with Sartain that it's probably going to be... messy at first, with some bugfixes coming out in the days after launch.  But their development is spectacularly open, with back and forth discussion happening on their forums, so I blame that on the scale of their changes rather than laziness or anything.

It's also a good thing that they're changing so much.  Isn't that what people have been demanding, a proper federation system with depth?  Of course the playerbase will find bugs that in-house testing didn't, just by volume.  It's a sweeping rebuild of a core mechanic of the game, it will have bugs.

Which actually makes the accusation that it'll cost $19.99 laughable.  The new mechanics are free, as is their longstanding policy.  They merely lock the wilder options.  We all get the improved federations (and yes, the bugs :P).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 632