Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671815 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8430 on: March 12, 2020, 03:00:25 am »

there's also not much of an alternative around, stellaris presentation is top notch and that counts a lot in this day and age where something like astra exodus has like 0.03% of stellaris players.

I didn't the game at launch, and will try this federation thing at some point when it get a discount, but at least I'm hearing good things now from youtubers, seems they're at least acknowledging some of the issue, which is a start.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: March 12, 2020, 01:57:05 pm »

I was super disappointed at Federations until hearing about the AI stuff.
I still am not particularly excited for any of the DLC features but just the fact that they're actually addressing the AI -- and in a non-bandaid way -- has me feeling a lot better about their overall handling of it.

And I do personally miss planet tiles. The new system is overall a lot better, sure, but the tiles just gave a nice and arguably needed "presence" to the planets. I think in a more accessible-to-newbies way too. It's one thing to hear that your planet has these cool buildings and see the numbers, but seeing those buildings on a tile and a pop working that tile is pretty relatively easy to understand.
Again, the new system is better. But I think they threw the baby out with the bathwater a bit here -- they may very well have been able to implement the new changes without completely eliminating all traces of tiles.

FTL options were nice, too. I agree with their removal, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a cool feature.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: March 12, 2020, 04:00:26 pm »

I liked the idea of tiles and FTL types, but in both cases they seem to have crammed it in, scratched their heads wondering what they were actually going to do with said systems, and then shrugged. I'm sure there was a better solution to both out there somewhere, but stripping the whole thing out was probably the right move for what they're actually able to pull off.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: March 12, 2020, 05:24:00 pm »

I liked adjacency bonuses and a way to properly visualize stuff. Would've loved if they like. Made the tiles half size, let you automate things better, and generally just made it less tedious. Hell, get rid of army view during battles and have a small mini thing where armies have to take each tile. Maybe a smaller scale movement interface for that to capture planets. Maybe some sort of victory point thing, where certain buildings or tile features give a score for capturing the planet.

* Iceblaster shrugs.

Primarily just feel like current interface while able to represent much more populated and productive planets loses some of the unique feel Stellaris had in its early days.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: March 12, 2020, 10:11:59 pm »

I liked adjacency bonuses and a way to properly visualize stuff. Would've loved if they like. Made the tiles half size, let you automate things better, and generally just made it less tedious. Hell, get rid of army view during battles and have a small mini thing where armies have to take each tile. Maybe a smaller scale movement interface for that to capture planets. Maybe some sort of victory point thing, where certain buildings or tile features give a score for capturing the planet.

oh god please never ever

just bog down the repetitiveness of everything in stellaris by a factor of ten? no. no. no.

i will say: i understand the instinct. stellaris is a shell of a game in search of a soul. paradox has no idea what to do with it which is why it's been through massive revisions multiple times.

adding a 2d army minigame that you have to do 100 times per playthrough? not going to help

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8435 on: March 13, 2020, 05:31:58 am »

Yeah I'll hard pass on invasion minigames. Do you even know how many planets I invade in a typical playthrough? Stellaris is going in a good direction now, let's not backtrack.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: March 13, 2020, 06:02:01 am »

If they ever did rework ground combat, a system a bit like the archeological sites where an invasion is a longer process with events might be cool. After all, conquering an entire planet takes a while and is not just one battle. You'd be able to send reinforcements, switch out generals, commit/retreat fleats for orbital bombardment as needed, and lots of other cool things I'm sure, and effectiveness could be based on unit types, technological level, special techs, general skills and levels, terrain features, building features and more.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: March 13, 2020, 08:36:56 am »

If they ever did rework ground combat, a system a bit like the archeological sites where an invasion is a longer process with events might be cool. After all, conquering an entire planet takes a while and is not just one battle. You'd be able to send reinforcements, switch out generals, commit/retreat fleats for orbital bombardment as needed, and lots of other cool things I'm sure, and effectiveness could be based on unit types, technological level, special techs, general skills and levels, terrain features, building features and more.
So... EU4 sieges? Because that's basically what the archeological system is.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8438 on: March 13, 2020, 08:38:03 am »

EU4 sieges but with some more complexity would be nice.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: March 13, 2020, 08:50:11 am »

I invade planets so rarely I wouldn't mind a bit more depth to the process, but I totally understand why someone who does a lot of ground wars would be frustrated by the process requiring more interaction from the player.  It's a bit like space battles - with few exceptions, you just need a bigger number to win.  It's a deliberate decision for Stellaris to work that way, I'm sure, with the developers probably intending that the player's focus be elsewhere.

But, really, I would like a bit more depth to space battles too.  I rarely even bother to redesign ships unless I'm facing the crisis.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8440 on: March 13, 2020, 08:53:19 am »

Right now the process can be pretty automated. A troop transport fleet on aggressive mode will follow your navy and autoinvade planets when the odds are favorable. The only manual thing I need to do is replace lost troops.

Making it a totally manual process/minigame would terrible, imo.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: March 13, 2020, 09:45:08 am »

It's fine to have a minigame type thing if it plays itself and you only need to get involved if, like in EU4, you want to spend something (whether it's a resource or lives) to speed things up. Or perhaps choose to micromanage important battles for a bit more efficiency, though personally I'm not a fan of design where more tedious play is strictly better.

I did have an idea, back when there were tiles, of letting your troops move across different tiles and capture them one at a time in a mostly automated fashion as in HoI4, which would have made tile positioning and ground defenses more interesting as well as enhancing invasions, but that's not the direction the game has taken.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:47:22 am by Cruxador »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8442 on: March 13, 2020, 09:59:22 am »

It's fine to have a minigame type thing if it plays itself and you only need to get involved if, like in EU4, you want to spend something (whether it's a resource or lives) to speed things up. Or perhaps choose to micromanage important battles for a bit more efficiency, though personally I'm not a fan of design where more tedious play is strictly better.

I did have an idea, back when there were tiles, of letting your troops move across different tiles and capture them one at a time in a mostly automated fashion as in HoI4, which would have made tile positioning and ground defenses more interesting as well as enhancing invasions, but that's not the direction the game has taken.
The same could happen now, just make an array of spaces equal to the planet's size and have the troops occupy them. You could even simulate civilian resistance. Every 5 spaces you control you get a random building and can use occupation policies to force captured population to keep working for you, etc.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: March 13, 2020, 10:40:21 am »

EU4 sieges but with some more complexity would be nice.

This pretty much. It also has the added bonus of mirroring an already existing in-game mechanic instead of having to re-invent the wheel, which Stellaris has already tried to too many times IMO

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: March 13, 2020, 01:19:04 pm »

Yeah I ain't into a siege minigame. Or even a visual representation. It would get stupid repetitive.

If you gave me a mild total war option where I could control some stuff on the ground or opt to auto resolve (ergo use the current system) I'd spring for that.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 632