Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658825 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8505 on: March 23, 2020, 06:24:07 pm »

OH DUN maybe you looked this up but I noticed that the lithoid homeworld has that "massive crater" feature, and it's kinda amazing!
+6 mining districts
-6 agriculture districts
... THEN +6 MAX DISTRICTS, WHAT

Sure it applies a -50% habitability to the world, but that merely cancels out the natural +50% all lithoids get.  Your Lavos run looks like the way to go!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: March 23, 2020, 07:00:01 pm »

I wonder if robots might eventually serve this role, but I'm betting that xenophobes can't even grant robots full citizenship.

Pretty sure they can't.  I know that they can still give them social welfare living standards if they're synths, but they can't give them the status to become leaders.  I think that means residence citizenship, and no option to make them full citizens.  I'm guessing if you played xenophobic egalitarians you could also give them utopian abundance living standards, but I've never tested that.

At least I haven't seen any events lately where xenophobe pops get mad that there are robots of their own design on the same planet because they're a different species.  That used to trigger every game I played xenophobes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: March 23, 2020, 07:58:03 pm »

OH DUN maybe you looked this up but I noticed that the lithoid homeworld has that "massive crater" feature, and it's kinda amazing!
+6 mining districts
-6 agriculture districts
... THEN +6 MAX DISTRICTS, WHAT

Sure it applies a -50% habitability to the world, but that merely cancels out the natural +50% all lithoids get.  Your Lavos run looks like the way to go!

:[     ]

That sounds amazingggg. Habitability can be canceled out by research or even the adaptability tree, depending. Thanks for the info.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: March 23, 2020, 11:53:33 pm »

Speaking of rock people, Today I tried a Lithoid species with the ring world start.  I figured taking one of the strategic resource poop traits might help accelerate developing the ring world but honestly it was a very slow start, and at about 35 years in I'm basically playing tall.

-Ring world start
-Lithoids, Crystal shedding, Natural Engineers, Strong, Unruly
-Radical Materialist, Pacifist; Democratic, Technocracy and Something Else

The ring world obviously provides no minerals, but also the starting district is a useless farming one, even if your species doesn't eat.  Some of the food went into a bio-reactor, while the rest I dumped into the market.  Worse still the neighboring habitable worlds were tropical ones with very little mining districts.  Ended up taking a small arctic one, with only 65% habitability due to low gravity but it had like 8 mining slots to eat.  What helped was getting basic robot tech super early, and my first governor getting the landscaping trait which makes clearing blockers cheaper and faster.

The economy was kinda shit until I could replace that farm district for a city one and later a research one as well.  Problem is now there's like 20+ jobs open and lithoid pop growth won't fill that anytime soon.  A migration treaty's fixing that a bit but its not great.

A big problem now is influence.  In spite of being materialist/pacifist, 25% of the rock guys want to take over the galaxy for whatever reason.  Getting only like 2 inf per month really slows down expansion.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8509 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:29 am »

In spite of being materialist/pacifist, 25% of the rock guys want to take over the galaxy for whatever reason.  Getting only like 2 inf per month really slows down expansion.

The strong trait gives pops a (ahem) strong bias towards militarist ethics and having strong pops boosts the militarist ethic draw for the empire. That could be part of the problem?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: March 24, 2020, 09:49:09 am »

In spite of being materialist/pacifist, 25% of the rock guys want to take over the galaxy for whatever reason.  Getting only like 2 inf per month really slows down expansion.

The strong trait gives pops a (ahem) strong bias towards militarist ethics and having strong pops boosts the militarist ethic draw for the empire. That could be part of the problem?

Probably.  Honestly I thought it was because I share a northern border with Driven Assimilaters, and my pops are going "shouldn't we deal with that".
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: March 24, 2020, 01:33:20 pm »

I have not played Stellaris in... a long time. Since 2.0, I think? Back then I played with a bunch of mods, including the AlphaMod series. Now that diplomacy sounds like it's more of an actual thing, interested in going back to it.

What would you all say are the best / most important mods at this point? Or is playing vanilla more viable?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: March 24, 2020, 06:53:07 pm »

another question is like to add how much of the new goodies do you get without the actual federation dlc?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: March 24, 2020, 07:02:48 pm »

I have not played Stellaris in... a long time. Since 2.0, I think? Back then I played with a bunch of mods, including the AlphaMod series. Now that diplomacy sounds like it's more of an actual thing, interested in going back to it.

What would you all say are the best / most important mods at this point? Or is playing vanilla more viable?
Depends what you mean by viable. It's a bit less of a mess in terms of playability but it still goes to shit at a certain point. In terms of being tremendously boring, the archaeology and the new federation stuff both help a ot.

another question is like to add how much of the new goodies do you get without the actual federation dlc?
You basically get every mechanic for free but almost all the content is paid. However, stuff that had a form available either for free or in a previous DLC is still accessed the same way, even if it was overhauled. So a generic federation under the new mechanics uses the new much deeper system with all the new features corresponding to it, but if you want other types of federation, you have to pay. (Or encounter a used copy that nobody wanted, or whatever euphemism for acquiring without paying that you prefer).

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: March 24, 2020, 07:40:33 pm »

I think most of the origins aren't tied to Federations, but might require other relevant DLCs to have.  All the ones that were civics are now origins.  So base game you get lost colony and I assume life seeded and syncretic.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: March 24, 2020, 08:02:50 pm »

Life Seeded is actually tied to Apocalypse, like Post-Apocalyptic!  I knew that because I didn't get Apocalypse until recently.  The free ones are Galactic Doorstop (the gateway one), Lost Colony, and of course Prosperous Unification.
https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Empire#Origin
I was surprised that a few (like Syncretic) require Utopia, but I take Utopia for granted at this point.  The Federation DLC grants the most of course, including Doomsday heh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: March 25, 2020, 11:16:19 am »

I think most of the origins aren't tied to Federations, but might require other relevant DLCs to have.  All the ones that were civics are now origins.  So base game you get lost colony and I assume life seeded and syncretic.
Most origins are tied to the same DLC that granted them before they were turned into origins.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: March 25, 2020, 11:22:29 am »

Most origins are tied to the same DLC that granted them before they were turned into origins.

Well, that's what I meant by 'other relevant DLCs'.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: March 25, 2020, 12:00:56 pm »

One interesting thing I've noticed: from an early-game perspective, most of the origins are inferior to Prosperous Unification or Syncretic Evolution. Having additional pops makes your economy much stronger in the beginning, and alloys you to have more alloys and tech earlier than someone with a feature that can't be used until mid or late game.

I kept starting new games and wondering why I was behind the AI in the first 50 years; oh right, most of them have an extra 10+ years of pop growth than I do.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: March 25, 2020, 02:25:03 pm »

Voidborne is pretty strong if you play your cards right.

You get 2.7x as much population growth (3 planet start, -10% population growth trait for Voidborne).

Your pops produce bonus resources.

You can produce research districts right off the bat (massive tech lead at the start). You can also invest in cultural districts for a unity lead.

...but you have to spend 3000 alloys + a colony ship every time you want to expand. So you start off stronger but have a slower expansion rate early on.

Mid game though when you have 100+ alloys surplus your expansion rate becomes pretty insane.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 632