Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658810 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8880 on: October 29, 2020, 12:21:15 am »

I'm not fanatic level of pacifist, so punching them is an option, although I think the vast majority of my research advantage isn't in mil tech.  Good news is all my other mudball planets are too shitty for them to bother criming up, I believe.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: October 29, 2020, 07:03:05 pm »

Punching them is an option, but sadly you'll have to resort to punching them literally as fast as they get another chance to build branch offices since they waste no time jumping right back in.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: October 31, 2020, 05:42:11 pm »

The ringworld one went away when crime hit zero, and they haven't bothered coming back there or to any other planet I own.

Apparently the slave market only consists of non-sapient animals and robutts.  I learned non-sapients are a bit of a scam, they don't actually do any work, you can't set rights for them so you can't even eat them, and they slowly depopulate over time so eventually they disappear entirely.  I only recently got the uplifting tech (which has the icon of a monkey in a suit) so I can actually make any real use of them.  I'd go on a big spending spree on the 20 pops worth of one species but I wouldn't have jobs for them, and I'd have to settle the tundra planet or gene splice them further to adapt them to a more suitable environ.

I've heard the CPU yoinks useful pops off the market as soon as they are available, which might explain the semi-useless selection.

Influence is also a problem, I've ran out of stuff to spend it on.  I can't punch my neighbors hard enough to bother claiming their stuff, I have the max amount of edicts going on, and my other routes of expansion are blocked by a space dragon and massive fleets of apparently space barbarians.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: November 01, 2020, 06:24:48 pm »

Haven't played in a few months, since around June I believe. Anything interesting in game or mod stuff? I know a new species pack is introduced but not enough to drag me in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: November 01, 2020, 07:15:12 pm »

I've heard good things from youtubers about Forgotten Queens which gives hive minds a bit more personality.

But the only modding I've done was try to add Battletech symbols to try playing as Comstar, but the workshop mod was old and wouldn't work.

Supposedly things can be interesting if you combine necrophage with the lithoid trait.  Unlike lithoids or robutts, the necrophage trait is tied to your origin, and not whatever your pop portrait is.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: November 03, 2020, 08:20:49 pm »

I see. Not really an interest to me unfortunately as, while I appreciate flavor for them, I absolutely loathe how much the game is dumbed down when you play as a gestalt species. You remove like 90% of the management and turn it into a blobbing simulator even more.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: November 08, 2020, 06:07:16 pm »

So, I just build a precinct on every planet if I know a criminal syndicate is around, and that always does the job eventually.

I build a precinct once they have a branch office on a planet. It's pretty easy for the player to counter with just one building slot. The anti-crime campaign planet decision also helps a great deal. The branch offices close after a while if there is no crime. I haven't played a megacorp yet so I don't know if the AI isn't using it well or if it's just easy for an observant player to counter by design.

In my current save I still have some unfinished business after the Great Klaggian Deception...However I am reaching mid to late game in my save; and there was a bug that just absolutely bloated my species list to near unusability so I'm starting to feel like starting a new one even though this one has been pretty great.

Spoiler: large screenshot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: large screenshot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bender (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: species bug (click to show/hide)

How do necroids work? Are they omnicidal like terminator machines or can they make feds and alliances and other agreements? I'd like to get it before I continue or start a new game but I'll probably wait for a good sale.

EDIT: I want to say the species bug where the AI went insane for a short period between patches with it's gene modding new species is actually pretty awesome except for the UI not being built for that many. It's not alphabetically listed for example and without a search or narrow function it makes finding a specific species take so long as to be functionally impossible. When I settle a new station or something that requires selecting a certain species I just skim through and look for a species with a traits display that shows a huge list of positive traits; I don't bother discerning past that as there are so many.

For example the Klaggians triggered the Great Khan to attack me, and I accidently sort of wiped out that whole species as they lived solely on hostile space stations... After that fiasco was over I would like to search my galactic species list to see if there are any survivors of the raider species or more likely in my save some sort of genetic superbeing the AI created due to the species bug that is some fraction a descendant of the raider species. There only survivors I am aware of are a fleet that was out raiding during the Great Khan's short reign. They returned and now sit and do nothing next to one of the empty stations. It would be more satisfying to be able to give them their stations back but perhaps integrated or as vassals.

That way I can repopulate the raider's empty stations. Right now they are a sort of a monument to the Great Klaggian Deception, a terror attack through a wormhole from one side of the galaxy to the other on a raider's station that triggered the Great Khan. If I wasn't playing benevolent dwarves I'd fill the stations up with Klaggians instead...

I also have been using the Steam beta branch for Stellaris because it had a fix I wanted a few patches ago and I forgot to change it back to stable; so that could be why I had the species bug.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:31:34 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: November 08, 2020, 06:26:26 pm »

Necroids are essentially zombie races - they grow by "consuming the dead of other species", whether by force or not. Mechanically it gives them some bonuses (including massively increased leader lifespan) but a big penalty to species growth and access to a job which converts the worker pop to the main species after ten years.
Black lives matter.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: November 08, 2020, 06:37:03 pm »

That's pretty neat. I wonder if you can combine it with despoilers. I once nabbed so many pops as a despoiler when I forgot I had a small fleet set to abduct from a planet that the AI had elevated a primitive race on.

I'll have to start it up and poke around what's in the free patch.

Can you still grow normal pops at the normal rate or is the growth malus empire wide? I usually play towards quick population growth and colonization at the cost of military expenditure until I've settled my borders as far out as possible and settled. I play with max habitable worlds so my last game it took almost to early mid game to start building more than a basic piracy fleet; a mining drone asteroid belt blocked my Southern half of the Empire's trade for almost until I repaird a gate to connect it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:39:02 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: November 08, 2020, 06:38:46 pm »

Wiki says they're compatible. It's pretty neat - being a necrophage is an origin, not a civic, so you can kinda go wild with it.

[edit] Addendum to necrophage mechanics - you also get a purge type which turns undesireables into your primary species, so you can pretty much steal all the aliens you want and turn'em into yourself.
Black lives matter.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: November 08, 2020, 07:03:52 pm »

normal civs are surprisingly tolerant of necrophages, oddly enough.

I've heard on the youtubes they might add a new district type, for metallurgist and civ good jobs.  And the old factory/forge buildings would specialize these districts to the corresponding output.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: November 08, 2020, 07:13:20 pm »

That would be cool I guess. I do heavily specialize planets and sectors if possible. It confused me on my very first game because it shows per planet deficits and production on the build screen, so I thought I had to produce enough minerals on planet for the alloy plants on planet for example. I didn't realize until my second game that specializing would be better, and my third to realize the autobuilder hates the way I specialize and likes to add a commercial goods factory and an autocthon monument to it feels like but isn't really every planet.

One thing I don't especially like about Stellaris is the instant transfer of materials. As long as empire wide you are producing a surplus or have a stockpile of minerals your consumer goods will function fine, even if your mineral planet is blocked off from your consumer goods planet through say pirates or war.

Ideally there would be civilian traffic to move that stuff around. Plus then you could have a Trantor situation where the food runs out and all the bureucrats turn into space pirates or something. It would also give despoiler types something to attack that doesn't require a declaration of war maybe. Maybe I was just playing the despoilers wrong but even the raids for resources seemed like they were more like full wars for how long they took. I thought I'd just be able to nab some pops and some resources quickly if I avoided their navy, but it's pretty similar to a conquer war.

I've been playing X4 Foundations and civilian shipping's one thing it does really well. Aurora also is quite notable for it's logistics. I don't know if Stellaris could support something like that without chugging along but I think it would be neat as long as it's not too much micromanagement.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:37:15 pm by Duuvian »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: November 08, 2020, 07:22:56 pm »

It kinda makes sense. Unless you're purge-converting, which garners an opinion malus, you're not really doing anything wrong. Not like anyone was using those corpses anyway.

That and there isn't really any combination of ethics or civics that would most obviously disapprove of reanimating dead sapient life to create new life, since the best potential candidates of Spiritualism, Egalitarianism, and Xenophilia do not inherently imply a distaste for it and, in fact, are each vague enough to support that practice with little need to bend meanings
Black lives matter.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: November 08, 2020, 07:27:53 pm »

If they wait until someone died naturally it would be like organ transplant

I guess another distinction would be whether they are the same being with same memories making it sort of a biological engramming rather than mechanical/cyber.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:30:35 pm by Duuvian »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: November 08, 2020, 07:29:37 pm »

That's probably how the Necrophyte job operates - they reanimate everyone who dies and eventually there's enough necroids to constitute a full pop.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 632