Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1658915 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8895 on: November 08, 2020, 11:56:30 pm »

I've heard on the youtubes they might add a new district type, for metallurgist and civ good jobs.  And the old factory/forge buildings would specialize these districts to the corresponding output.

The latest dev diary talks about this - they're decoupling build slots from population and moving alloy and consumer production primarily into districts. Factories and Foundries will be planet-unique and make all Industrial Districts grant more of the corresponding type of job.

Incidentally, a big reason for this change is cited as making the autobuilder more capable of handling planet development instead of requiring constant micro even into late game...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 11:58:52 pm by E. Albright »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: November 09, 2020, 09:05:57 am »

The latest dev diary talks about this - they're decoupling build slots from population and moving alloy and consumer production primarily into districts. Factories and Foundries will be planet-unique and make all Industrial Districts grant more of the corresponding type of job.

Incidentally, a big reason for this change is cited as making the autobuilder more capable of handling planet development instead of requiring constant micro even into late game...

Hopefully the AI will be slightly less braindead.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: November 09, 2020, 12:40:22 pm »

So much yes

With max systems/max inhabitable planets there is SO MUCH MICRO because the autobuild changes my specialized planets and sectors. While having one sector building 90%+ of my alloys is a huge strategic risk perhaps, it's also much more efficient for bonus stacking. The autobuild likes to put commercial factories on my alloy planets argh; so I turned it off and every so often I spend literally an hour at least on pause queueing up buildings and moving populations around by hand.

Anything that makes the autobuild more functional is great. Personally I would find being able to set my own autobuild templates the ideal, so I could make an autobuild template for an alloys world for example. I'd have it build a robot factory first, then gene mod, then noble estates like I do on every habitable place, then start the buildings the planet is suitable for.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 12:42:20 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: November 26, 2020, 03:18:23 am »

I think that Unity generation from purging pops as a genocider (Determined Exterminators and Fanatic Purifiers) has been changed in a recent patch. Instead of being constantly produced as the pops are purged like energy is with Grid Amalgamation, or being produced per dead pop as the wiki states, it seems to be a constant amount of Unity gained per month as pops are being purged. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what that amount is, because it seems to change every time I try and measure it.
Black lives matter.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: November 26, 2020, 08:07:37 am »

anyone knows the different between, say, specializing a sector on minerals vs specializing all planets of a sector on minerals?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: November 26, 2020, 11:44:31 pm »

Today's dev diary is pretty cool: link.

I'm sure whatever ends up in the final version won't be extremely deep, but it's still nice that they're fleshing out first contact and making a lot more information initially hidden.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8901 on: November 27, 2020, 11:00:44 am »

anyone knows the different between, say, specializing a sector on minerals vs specializing all planets of a sector on minerals?
I'm not sure if there is any sort of difference beyond the former requiring you to add resources to the sector in order for it to build anything and the latter drawing directly from your empire's resource stores (which might not be correct, actually).
Black lives matter.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: November 27, 2020, 10:20:42 pm »

If you mean what advantages that would bring, the main one I can think of that you could assign a governor with +mining traits and it effects every planet in the sector.

Oops, I misread that, you didn't ask that.

I'm not sure if there is any sort of difference beyond the former requiring you to add resources to the sector in order for it to build anything and the latter drawing directly from your empire's resource stores (which might not be correct, actually).

This sounds right though I don't use autobuilder very often. I think you can also add energy or minerals to a sector and they go to the same resource pool if I remember correctly. If that's true that could be useful if you are swimming in energy credits but minerals price has inflated in the market and you've traded out the other empire's stock.

The autobuilder isn't great for specialized planets though unless I was using it wrong. It liked to put commercial goods factories everywhere, such as my alloy sector. I'm not sure if it goes by a build template or if it looks at what resources it thinks your empire is in need of.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: November 30, 2020, 01:15:45 am »

Autobuilder is generally regarded as utterly inept at actually doing anything useful and can (unfortunately) be completely ignored in normal gameplay.
Black lives matter.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8904 on: November 30, 2020, 08:35:04 am »

I can't express how happy I am that they're finally putting some passive pop migration/movement into the game.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: November 30, 2020, 08:11:17 pm »

It was desperately needed, and I'm happy with it too.  It sounds like it'll solve some of the problems I experienced with Greater Than Ourselves too, where my pops kept resettling and ruining my buildings because I went below the pop level needed for the building slot, since buildings aren't tied to pops now.  Unless they change things again like Wiz did, when he experimented with this and decided he didn't like the idea of prebuilding ghost cities on planets just to build up the infrastructure.

I actually very rarely use resettling since I usually play empires that can enact population controls, and do so because I find constant resettling to be way too fiddly.  I typically only resettle pops if a planet accidentally goes over its housing limit, which I resettle just so the warning indicator goes away.  The only time I'd make use of the resettling abuse to keep every single planet a pop breeding factory would be if I were tackling the 25x crisis and needed to min-max super hard to prepare for it.

It'll still be nice to use that if the game automates it, of course...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: November 30, 2020, 08:35:10 pm »

Mm, whereas my empires are predominantly egalitarian.  Partially to allow the shitty immigration model to do it's thing, but also to let me adopt the second best ethic: Utopian Fucking Abundance.

Doesn't matter who is under our banner, all are welcome, and all will have their needs met.
And with their help, we will secure our place in the universe, for all people everywhere <3
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: November 30, 2020, 08:54:59 pm »

Obviously I also play absolute nightmare builds.  Mostly robotic.  Sometimes friendly hive.
But I consider that an indulgence.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: November 30, 2020, 09:22:22 pm »

I use forced resettling simply because I'm too impatient to wait for a new planet to grow from one single pop to anything actually useful.

Unless they change things again like Wiz did, when he experimented with this and decided he didn't like the idea of prebuilding ghost cities on planets just to build up the infrastructure.

Funnily enough, I did build a ghost town's worth of districts on a planet so I could stuff it full of slaves off the slave market, simply because I needed the raw resource.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: November 30, 2020, 10:04:59 pm »

I've done the same to jumpstart ecnumenopoleis, which otherwise would take way too long to get to the point of needing that many city districts naturally.

Admittedly, resettling pops to jumpstart a planet to go through the colony phase quickly makes a lot of sense and is something I've been tempted to do before, but never actually did.  Instead, I try to avoid it by building robotics facilities with my first building slot, which at least helps you get to 10 pops almost fast enough to be tolerable.
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 632