Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1671488 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #8955 on: March 02, 2021, 04:48:47 pm »

I just turn off population growth on planets that reach the level I want them to be at, resettle the one or two that went over, etc

I understand the micromanagement avoidance, but why not take advantage of multiple planets worth of pop growth to grow those border planets even faster.

Eh, honestly by the time its an issue I tend not to really have much in the way of border planets.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: March 04, 2021, 02:19:51 am »

YO THIS IS THE BEST GADDAM GAME OF STELLARIS IVE EVER HAD.

So I'm on Admiral Mode, first of all. I'm doing the usual badguy thing of "conquer a sizable swath of valuable land, vassalize the civs next to you, repeat". I'm playing as an authoritarian spiritualist military society, intentionally modeled after Sith.

I decided, however, that instead of slogging my way through the whole goddam galaxy I would sit back and develop my economy and play the diplomatic game in the senate. I'm trying to experience "Federations" content, you see. After passing some favorable resolutions to bring my voting power up to the top 3, I got elected to the 3-person council. With my economy booming I bought favors from enough member civs to vote out the weakest council member. A few more favorably maneuvered resolutions later and I'm feeling like maybe I can vote out the other guy. He's very much my equal/better in all things but pure military might and MoRaL DeMoCrAcY to boot.

I've got all my ducks in a row, ready to call an emergency vote and blow some favors to become the senate. But then... my rival council member (On the far side of the goddam galaxy) brings up Veto Power as the next item to go onto the floor. Not as his own emergency vote, mind you. But I do some thinking and it turns out.... I spent all my influence on budding megaprojects. If he gets that resolution out on the floor, I'm going to lose my chance. He'll be able to veto any attempt to remove himself from the council. Stalemate, unless I can get rid of the veto power itself. This will set me back decades. With my vassals and the favors I can actually use, I am still just short of what I need to turn things to my own political favor. Unless I can change that.

So I waited until the last possible second, and set my gateways (a new tech to the galaxy) that were closest to his territories building. Right before it was time to hit the floor with the veto vote, I called an emergency session to remove him from power while simultaneously declaring war on him and his PITIFUL FEDARASHUN. The voting power belongs primarily to those with the strongest military and the largest economies. I'm making a beeline for his homeworld with my entire fleet, ready to blast his military to rubble and bomb the center of his economy to bits. I have 1000 days to turn the tide.

The time has come.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 02:23:02 am by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: March 10, 2021, 03:14:12 am »

What's the longest game people here have run?  Anyone pushed the tech/tradition cost to the maximum as well as the game year times?  Tried it before and I find you get some weird challenges, especially if you don't try to min-max tech, don't have voidborne, and don't use population controls.  Especially if you layer on trying to provide housing for all of your population.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: March 10, 2021, 01:15:55 pm »

The one I am still involved in I bumped the years up to max and tech up to 1.5. Looks like it's going to come to a soft end about 50-75 years before end game, though.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: March 10, 2021, 05:25:35 pm »

I actually don't think I've ever changed the tech / tradition speed or endgame years, but it's something I've considered.  Unless something unexpected happens and I get beaten in the first few decades, pretty much all of my games go to 2500ish, or whenever I get the victory screen.

Running a longer game doesn't seem to be worth it right now, but if performance were better in the end game and things were more dynamic it would probably be more worthwhile.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: March 10, 2021, 06:05:32 pm »

I rarely make it to end game.

Gonna try one on grand admiral.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: March 10, 2021, 07:22:02 pm »

I've had far more fun turning number of AI Empires to zero.  Play out the theory that humans are alone in the universe...mostly.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: March 10, 2021, 07:28:15 pm »

I've had far more fun turning number of AI Empires to zero.  Play out the theory that humans are alone in the universe...mostly.

all alone except for humans 2: this time it's authoritarian
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #8963 on: March 11, 2021, 07:32:43 am »

Fun fact: If you create and force a bunch of Human species empires to spawn, you can basically be the Imperium of Man launching a great crusade to reclaim the lost vestiges of humanity. So long as the portrait and name is the same, the game will group them together as variations of the same base species.

I've had some fun combining this with a custom mod that adds a huge cost to Influence for Starbases until a technology that isn't available until the midgame is researched. Combine that with mods to add moon habitats and inhospitable world habitats and you have to spend the first 100 years building up tall before the midgame starts and the glorious crusade can be launched.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: March 11, 2021, 03:21:34 pm »

I've done something like this before, which can be a relaxing way to play.  There are a few variations you can do too, which I've tried:

1. One AI empire you have a vendetta against.  I've only done this with force spawning genocidal empires, but it can be interesting to know they're out there somewhere, and you may not bump into them for 100 years, or they may be at your doorstep.  If you RP it as being in a peaceful galaxy and don't build up your military until you run into them, it can be Fun.

2. Lots of primitives - you're playing forerunners and have a chance to uplift and enlighten the whole galaxy.  Or enslave them or whatever.

3. No primitives either - dead space, all for your taking.

You can mix those together and/or turn the end game crisis on or off to change things up a bit too.  Playing a peaceful game until the crisis kicks in "unexpectedly" can also be a Fun way to play.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: March 12, 2021, 01:11:04 pm »

Oooo forerunner civ sounds cool.

It would be neat to like, build tall then retreat into your borders and become super insular and then just like, let the game run overnight or something.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: March 12, 2021, 03:03:11 pm »

Did Paradox ever fix the overflow bugs?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: March 12, 2021, 03:50:07 pm »

I think they fixed the one with unity overflowing to 0 at least, but I never got the tech overflow bug so I don't know if that one is fixed.  Not sure if there were others.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: March 12, 2021, 04:18:24 pm »

I remember a year or two ago playing in a huge galaxy where my goal was to cram as many people as possible on all worlds.  Eventually I got an overflow bug with food production and everyone started to starve.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: March 14, 2021, 07:58:31 am »

I've done something like this before, which can be a relaxing way to play.  There are a few variations you can do too, which I've tried:

1. One AI empire you have a vendetta against.  I've only done this with force spawning genocidal empires, but it can be interesting to know they're out there somewhere, and you may not bump into them for 100 years, or they may be at your doorstep.  If you RP it as being in a peaceful galaxy and don't build up your military until you run into them, it can be Fun.

2. Lots of primitives - you're playing forerunners and have a chance to uplift and enlighten the whole galaxy.  Or enslave them or whatever.

3. No primitives either - dead space, all for your taking.

You can mix those together and/or turn the end game crisis on or off to change things up a bit too.  Playing a peaceful game until the crisis kicks in "unexpectedly" can also be a Fun way to play.

I'm partial to the Red Dwarf theory of the universe where its just Humans and whatever creatures sentient or not that Humans made.  Shame that Stellaris doesn't allow (as far as I can tell) switching to another empire in-game, so I could create a Simulant Death Fleet to kill the Humans and have the galaxy only be the remnants of Human civilization.
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 632