Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1669590 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #9060 on: April 23, 2021, 05:18:49 pm »

Incorrect I got zerg rushed by 60 combined fleet power almost instantly :P

On the plus side it will never ever happen again  :D
...  :-\ ...  :o
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: April 24, 2021, 11:16:03 am »

Remind yourself  that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer
Be wary; Triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: April 24, 2021, 11:30:45 am »

more blood soaks the soil... feeding the evil therein
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: April 24, 2021, 12:12:57 pm »

I went megacorp, fanatic xenophile militarists.  It's voidborn, and I used the only true voidborn portrait in the game, spaceman parrots.  I gave them non-adaptive so basically any planet at all sucks for them.

I signed some migration treaties to actually have planets.  The planets are somehow breeding lithoids in spite of only being friends with carbon-based life, and I can't find their home planet on the map anywhere.  The rock people also don't show up on the colonize menu, which is a little annoying since as lithoids I should be able to slap them anywhere, and I have plenty of worlds barely suitable to the species I do have access to.

All these imported species is turning my corp more spiritualist than militarist though.  I've had to ban robutts to please that budding faction, although I headcannon the AI ban over finding the determined exterminator to the galactic 'south.'

The new intel fog-of-war system kinda sucks as a corp.  You need tons of info before you can start building branch offices, because you can't actually 'see' their settled worlds.

Also, I'm some sort of associate to the local federation?  As far as I can tell I'm not an actual full member, I can't access the federation window.  Guess I need the tradition for it?

One of the first contacts consisted of a literal shouting match, as apparently their language/voice consisted of very loud, aggressive yelling.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: April 24, 2021, 06:15:57 pm »

I like the new first contact interactions :D  Lots of neat interactions like that.  It's also neat meeting a gestalt like hivemind (or machine empire?) and getting a society research boost as you figure out this dramatically different lifeform.
In my current game, my first federation member *still* has a like -80 opinion by my empire for them blowing up our research ship as a first contact event.  Apparently our hivemind doesn't forget or forgive O_o

Being a federation associate is mostly just a non-aggression pact with that federation.  You can only be associated with one federation though, and the trust cap might be better - it's a common step on the way to joining them.  You don't need the tradition, you only need that to create your own!
(Edit:  If they're reluctant to accept your petition to join then you can spend up to 10 favors to get +50 on your request, though it still needs to pass a federation vote in most cases)

Treaties like migration treaties grant some minimum intel which hopefully is helping you find their colonies.  I'm not clear how that works and I don't have the DLC.  Even without the DLC you can do espionage to run "gather information" ops, but it costs envoy time and a considerable energy cost for... questionable results.  It seems to stop being much of an issue, at least as a federation member or with lots of treaties, but maybe there are midgame uses for it.

No idea why those lithoids aren't showing up on the colony ship interface.  You ought be to be seeing every species that can possibly migrate, AFAIK.  Particularly once you have a full pop of them in your empire.  It sorta sounds like you have migration controls on that species, but surely that's not the default under xenophile ethics...?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:18:38 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: April 24, 2021, 10:15:49 pm »

I figured it out, those lithoids are serviles, as one of the empires had the syncretic origin.  In other words, when they migrated here they brought their pets servants as well.  And so you cannot colonize with them, they're too dumb.  Maybe I can gene mod them to do bureaucratic paperwork...

Another unusual thing is there's three wormholes in my territory, two are only a jump away from each other, the third only a few jumps from there.  Just got the tech to make use of them.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: April 24, 2021, 10:33:19 pm »

I figured it out, those lithoids are serviles, as one of the empires had the syncretic origin.  In other words, when they migrated here they brought their pets servants as well.  And so you cannot colonize with them, they're too dumb.  Maybe I can gene mod them to do bureaucratic paperwork...
Oooh AI serviles are such a rare or generally-unimportant occurrence that I'd never noticed that!  I've learned something!
Another unusual thing is there's three wormholes in my territory, two are only a jump away from each other, the third only a few jumps from there.  Just got the tech to make use of them.
It's always great when that happens!  I don't remember if claiming the other end is cheap (I think it is) but maybe I'm thinking about the "distance" modifier for various diplomacy options not considering the wormhole.

(which means you are encouraged to claim and grab the other end, so you can later do proper diplomacy)
She/they

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #9067 on: April 25, 2021, 05:43:30 pm »

Sooo I just experienced the Unbidden spawning on top of an open L-Gate. In 2408. With 300k fleet power. When the strongest fleet in the game is my 3 30k fleets.

All hail our energy being overlords, I guess.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:49:55 pm by MorleyDev »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: April 25, 2021, 07:29:41 pm »

I never saw an early spawn for the Unbidden before 3.0, so that makes me wonder if they fixed that in this version, and if the Contingency can spawn early as well if you research sapient AI tech...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #9069 on: April 25, 2021, 10:16:27 pm »

* It is now possible for the endgame crisis to happen in the first 50 years of the endgame in certain circumstances. These are:
* * No living fallen empires / awakened fallen empires;
* * War in Heaven not happening, concluded, or started 15 years ago;
* * A country has researched jump drives or psi jump drives (only the Unbidden can happen in the first 50 years in this case)
* Nuked old script to randomize which crisis shows up. Now it is simply purely a random choice that is random (with the chance of any crisis happening increasing the more years pass in the endgame).

Definitely had living fallen empires, though none had awakened. But has also researched Jump Drives so...brought it on myself, really.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 10:23:29 pm by MorleyDev »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: April 25, 2021, 10:56:52 pm »

Interesting.  I wonder why they chose to make the Unbidden the only one able to spawn early.  I'm not sure I'd consider them weaker than the Prethoryn Scourge, but then I guess having full control over whether to invite disaster by researching the tech makes it a bit more fair.

At higher difficulties I imagine the AI researches the tech sometimes by 2400 though, so I wonder if this only applies if a player empire researches it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: April 26, 2021, 12:01:45 am »

Unbidden can trigger multiple opposing forces, so its the only Endgame Crisis that can potentially fight itself and generally leave everyone else alone.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #9072 on: April 26, 2021, 07:01:05 am »

Wasn't even The Unbidden that did me in at the end. I wasn't dealing with the Grey Tempest because I was using it push the Galactic Community into naming me Galactic Custodian for life. Not sure if being custodian without a term limit matters in what happened, but the Fallen Empire next door awoke as Benevolent Interventionalists. And immediately declared war on me. A war I didn't have the option to surrender in. And then seized my home system and wiped out my fleets nearly instantly.

My home system that was built up extremely tall (habitats everywhere fed from two Ecumonopolioses...Ecumonopoli? Ecumonopodes?, Earth and Mars) since I was releasing my sectors as vassals to keep my pop growth up. So I didn't even get to see the unbidden eat the galaxy.

My mood literally went from "Yay, the Fallen Empire has awoken!" to "Oh no, the Fallen Empire has awoken!" in five minutes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:26:56 pm by MorleyDev »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: April 26, 2021, 02:32:37 pm »

the Fallen Empire next door awoke as Benevolent Interventionalists. And immediately declared war on me. A war I didn't have the option to surrender in.

you should have got an option to submit beforehand, the popup isn't immediately clear and many dismiss it, but the only way out from that war is to become a subject before it starts and rebel later.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: April 27, 2021, 05:45:53 am »

I did some combination of game start settings that made my save game a complete breeze. I think the Ai is having trouble keeping an Empire together maybe at lower difficulty because they are just throwing themselves at me as vassals. I don't even have my own ships anymore. It's just a hodgepodge of different corvettes, a few destroyers, and I saw a cruiser the last vassal I integrated. I made like 20 ships plus a few more the whole game and then scrapped them later.

I'm stuck in sprawl real bad, I keep having new vassals offer themselves to me just as I get the previous integrated and all the worlds the AI failed to rush to settle colonized.

However there is a growing despoilers empire to their west so maybe it makes sense from the Ai's point of view? There sure are a lot of slaves on that market I tell you what, I might play goblins next time instead of dwarves with the population changes.

I'm likely reaching the point where I should be splitting off vassals and not realizing it, but since my vassals are handing me navies of ships a tier or two above what I could make I'm still the biggest power.

I started with advanced empires off, 20 civs at start on 1000 star 4 spiral arm if I remember correctly. I think I set it to the difficulty that it defaults to with scaling off. In previous games advanced empires were what made me stop expanding easily. I turned them off but it might have changed the power balance really heavily towards the player. I think the next one maybe I'll try maxxing the advanced slider instead and see what happens. The empires I'm taking over are in really rough shape; they don't go for stability at all it seems like.On the bright side my alloys turned completely around after one of the larger vassals had a nice forgeworld with all industry districts; though it's amenities were tanked and it was unstable.

I thought it would have some form of tantrum spiral when consumer goods tanked from low stability from the flawed innoculation event causing the huge -20 happiness empirewide, but I just stopped building robots for 10 years or whatever it was and sold the advanced resources I wasn't using.

At some point I gave up on admin capacity and just started putting down resources until the borders finally settle.

I think I should start a new game, this one was too easy so far.

EDIT: I also made smarty research engineer dwarves instead of miner dwarves this time. That was because the game right before I was stuck in a tiny little box between advanced Empires and quit out after a century or so. I got the huge sprawl on the research player species and not the raw material player species of course.

EDIT2: It seemed like corporate governments were faring poorly, most if not all of my mini vassals that were not enlightened primitive species were rebels from corporate empires. I think the big vassals who requested to be my vassal  were also corporate governments. The machine species empire I am bordering has managed to hang on, and Imperial and Dictatorships also seem to be surviving, though the two big ones are also despoilers and I think allied possibly. I still have a much larger fleet than them due to the inheritences. Maybe I just made a galaxy with me on one side, a number of corps in between and then a whole lot of slavers.

Spoiler: Large Image (click to show/hide)
I think we can all answer this. I also feel like I maybe screenshot this before and made a similar comment, but maybe that's just awareness of what I would probably do.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 06:31:05 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 632