Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1668833 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #9285 on: October 14, 2022, 02:22:07 pm »

Yeah, I had a huge expansion phase early on, cut off empires to the west of me early on through a few crucial choke points and were cut off by a fallen empire to the east, so had a fair go at like 20% of the galaxy. But didn't have enough of a war fleet to survive the advanced purifiers stacks of 2-3 fleets of 80k each. I'd exercised my fleet against my neighbors on the west who hated me because they were a egalitarian civ, but lost territory to them in a second war right before the purifiers targeted me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: October 16, 2022, 02:44:12 pm »

my fleet manager is empty, albeit I have three flets.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

has this happened to anyone?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: October 16, 2022, 03:28:36 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen that, so that's odd.  Usually the fleet manager bugs out in the opposite way and ends up with dozens of empty 1-ship fleets that don't exist.  The culprit is usually reinforcements that didn't make it to the main fleet because they were destroyed or forced to retreat, after which they lose their reinforcement orders and sit around forever until you start wondering why your naval cap usage is higher than it should be.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: October 16, 2022, 04:27:34 pm »

When I start a game with a random race, I sometimes get species (or govt?) traits I can't otherwise pick. Like 'anglers', 'necromancers' or 'master crafters' (or something along those lines). A few others perhaps.
Where are these coming from? Is this normal? Kinda looks like they might be from some DLC that I don't have.
The only mod I'm running is legendary worlds, and it doesn't appear to have anything to do with it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: October 16, 2022, 04:32:47 pm »

Anglers is an ocean world exclusive civic from the Aquatics DLC

Likewise for Necromancers, its dlc and has a few other reqs - though I dont recall offhand what the reqs for master crafters are.  probably materialism at least

If youre not playing with those DLC then youve found a way to luck into those regardless
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: October 16, 2022, 04:45:56 pm »

Master Crafters are to make space dwarves from the Humanoids species pack, IIRC.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: October 17, 2022, 06:20:36 pm »

Started another game, a nice egalitarian materialist xenophile civ, and was placed directly adjacent to... fanatic purifiers, who were expanding faster than me and already had three times the fleet power and several planets (i hadnt found any suitable colony worlds yet). I immediately set up a station on the border and expanded my fleet and posted it there, but it was too little too late. I almost, almost had enough overall fleet power between the starport and navy to hold the system, but they won and proceeded to conquer everything, then met at my homeworld and wiped out the remnants of my fleet again, and began to bombard my homeworld. Once again, they ended the war before wiping me out, but this time I got luckier. They were attacked by another militarist civ on the opposite side that slowly conquered them until their collapse. At which point all the territory I had lost got abandoned and I could start expanding back out again.

It's not really been going great. I made friends with the civ that saved me and another one on my other flank, and reclaimed everything that I had lost, and pushed to the center of the galaxy (I started way out on the edge, with my homewold connected by a single hyperlink to the galaxy at large). But all my civ accounts for at this point is that one blue wedge like a slice of pie through the southwest corner of the galaxy, with a measly three habitable worlds to its name. I had abysmal fleet power, economic activity and technological progress. My friends to the north got conquered by another civ north of them i got dragged into that war through our defensive pact but never saw any combat, so I buddied up with the conquerors for good measure, and then the civ that saved me from extinction subjugated two other neighboring civs on their side. Now these two powers rule 60% of the galaxy, before the southeastern guy subjugated a fourth civ on the opposite side, who still hate me but can't do anything about it because daddy loves me. So I'm kinda safe.

But I'm stuck, and for a hundred and fifty years can barely eek by and in every way im still abysmally weak compared to the rest of the galaxy. I built three habitats and gain a single additional colony for my own species from an anomaly event. But migration treaties let me build four more colonies, three on tomb worlds with an avian species that is radiation resistant. But with poor tech I can't advance far at all.

But then one of the fallen empires, my saving friends neighbor, contacts me to build a black site, and then to borrow a scientist. Given im in no shape to piss them off I agree. They open their borders to me and behind their territory, cut off from everyone else, are five systems left unclaimed. So I take them, gain a new colony and two new habitats over valuable planets. Long way from home, though.

Apparently my savior civ thinks they're tough shit, because they pissed off this guy and they declared war. I figured they were screwed, but amazingly half the navy in the galaxy can put a fallen empire on the defensive, and they end the war claiming one of their systems and losing nothing. But at this point the fallen empire has had enough of me not wandering through their space in the last twenty years and shuts off the border. My little colony is cut off from the galaxy at large permanently. After a second war they take back their planet from my saviors, but before thirty pops from their species migrate to some of my worlds.

The other guys in the north have gone to war a few times with another big empire bordering mine, another friendly civ to me, but have only made a little headway in taking systems from them. And then they also piss off the other fallen empire in the galaxy and are currently getting their asses handed to them. This is why I haven't signed any more defensive pacts... absolutely agree to have them guarantee my independence though, love that.

I can't get anywhere anymore though, because my tech development and economy are so weak compared to everyone else, I'm permanently playing catch up. I've got another 150 years to go, and then all three endgame crisis will trigger in succession. Either I will die with my buddies, or they will save me yet again, because I have no hope of defending myself from anything at this point, I'm stuck in a rut.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: October 17, 2022, 06:23:49 pm »

Stellaris has a story to tell, and its not always the standard happy 4x HFY story.  And thats what I really like about it.  I like that some starts just box you into a corner; it can be an amazing story.

And role playing your civ, even lightly, only adds to that.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: October 18, 2022, 05:49:57 am »

3.6 seems a lot more peaceful than previous versions, I've played idk 200 years with no wars, not between me and other ais, or other ais with other ais
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 06:26:30 am by LoSboccacc »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: October 18, 2022, 08:58:26 am »

Hopefully that's not intended and they're going to fix that, especially after reading that article
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-271-ready-fight.1546912/
It seems they're focusing on making battle more diversified instead of "make battleship with artillery to destroy everything from anyone that has not made exclusively  battleships with artillery" , so without war what would be the point of doing all that ship rebalancing role.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: October 18, 2022, 09:05:23 am »

My gods it would be nice to have fleets capable of proper raids.  Privateer type stuff.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: October 18, 2022, 12:14:40 pm »

The Imperial Fiefdom start's lost any fun it had. Your overlord will do everything they can to fuck you over and, worse, they've got unlimited influence to do it with.

Every time I play it they demand I turn into a prospectorum with insane taxes (60% research, basic and advanced goods), and in the rare event I have enough influence to pay the 500+ cost to say no, they'll come back a few months later and demand the exact same thing. They keep doing it until you literally cannot deny them.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9297 on: October 19, 2022, 07:54:04 am »

The Imperial Fiefdom start's lost any fun it had. Your overlord will do everything they can to fuck you over and, worse, they've got unlimited influence to do it with.

Every time I play it they demand I turn into a prospectorum with insane taxes (60% research, basic and advanced goods), and in the rare event I have enough influence to pay the 500+ cost to say no, they'll come back a few months later and demand the exact same thing. They keep doing it until you literally cannot deny them.
Isn't there an event where the overlord implodes?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: October 19, 2022, 08:18:20 am »

Yeah, about 40 years into the game.

The issue is that until then, you're giving the overlord over half of every resource AND paying extra to expand on top of it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: October 19, 2022, 08:21:55 am »

You signed up to get the full vassal experience?
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 632