Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1670896 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #9360 on: January 26, 2023, 03:40:27 pm »

never turned a planet into one (and i had no idea you actually could do that :D ) , i'll give this a try for the next time i'll get into Stellaris

I'm 50 years away from the end of the game, and the last crisis (i enabled all of them, but at only X1) is going to happen very soon from the reports i got.

I even pitied the Unbidden , they came to hunt our galaxy people, but unfortunately they were the 3rd crisis (as the first one i got was the Vazzuran midgame one from the More Event Mod) to happen so at that time with half of my fleet and several of my federation pals, we simply walked all over them, i guess that was a case of the hunters not knowing they were actually the preys.
Spoiler: poor Unbidden (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: February 09, 2023, 01:44:11 pm »

After completing the previous game, i've been recently starting a new one in a completely different context (higher difficulty level, extreme xenophobic empire instead of extreme xenophile, slightly bigger galaxy map)
I quickly expanded with colonization and star bases (of course limited by the ressources) and made the mistake to wanting to expand without a care of consolidating said new acquired ressources in each new system (as my goal was to keep ressource for the next starbases and making more ships).

Looks like doing this i underestimated the (lack of) logistic of my empire and ran my budget down a lot (having to constanly sell minerals to get some cash to afford to keep some consumer goods for everyone as a lot were getting negative months) , this also led to many times the productivity/research malus slowing things down even more.

This triggered the population apparently .. and led most of my colonies into getting some level of instability, things were getting rather bad, even killing (instead of observing) all the primitives populations from each world we fetched wasn't enough to make them smile again, damn.

That was probably not helped by the fact my empire reached the border of an ultra-xenophile AI that decided to declare war nearly immediately on us while i was far from ready about having a good enough fleet, instead of losing any system i acquired (when i noticed several enemy fleets with 3 times my best fleet firepower), i decided to simply admit defeat and get some time into vassalization, hoping this would buy me enough time to backstab the xenos with as much guns as i could.

People were mad about this, i could understand that being ultra-xenophobe and being vassal of a xeno empire is not an ideal situation, and so they called out the emperor for a fight, the guy was 79 years old by the way, the plan i guess was to get him killed for the people amusement and replace him with someone hopefully more competent
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yeah, you just don't frack with the emperor, even being old he will still kick your sorry whining bottom.

Anyways, all was good, except that the budget was getting worse and worse , as effort to restabilize things with consolidating systems and colonies ressource wasn't enough (and so much dissent also gave a lot of production malus) that unstability reached critical mass and the throneworld revolted, with a lot of colonies teaming up with those bastards.
My empire simply got fracked over with a big empire getting birthed in the middle of it

ok,the good thing (at least i thought) was that there was no treasury, the ressources were at an all time low, and there was no way they could be a threat before a long while, so let's send my fleet to destroy the 2 star bases that are now part of the traitors empire, this way they will never get an opportunity to build ships before i am ready to launch a counter attack to take back what's mine.

... only to notice that Stellaris revolt mechanic will automatically spawn ,out of nothing, for the traitors a full fleet (yeah 2 times the firepower my fleets had) of the best ship type you researched with the best possible weapons you had researches, regardless of how much time it would have taken anyone to build it, or regardless that there's no way they could afford it in the condition they were (every ressources in the red, and some in negative). 

sigh, that's going to be even more of a trainwreck than i thought :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:45:42 pm by Robsoie »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: February 09, 2023, 02:40:22 pm »

Interesting.  Is that thing about the duel a vanilla event?  I've never seen or heard of it, but I've also never played militarist xenophobes so maybe that's why.

On a different note, today's dev diary outlined a lot of cool improvements to minor artifacts.  You can now find minable deposits of them for a constant supply, and they've added new buildings and starbase modules that use them to produce effects like on-demand system space storms that nullify ship shields.  That could be used to great effect against the AI by using purpose-built defense platforms.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: February 09, 2023, 02:55:50 pm »

I don't know, i'm playing with a few mods that adds truckloads of events (dynamic political events, more events mod, expanded events mod, extra events mod for 3.6) so it's possible it's not a default behaviour, but i found it rather nice as a change from the presidents getting kicked out i had on my previous game.

Oh, and it seems the game really wants to give all the chance to revolted worlds (unless it's one of the mods) because as my current (until i'll backstab them) overlord came to help my difficult situation, after conquering back half of my ex-empire, i ran into
bugged name sure, but it is on the traitors side, how the hell did they acquire this thing as the part of the empire they stole had been explored/researched already...
It had roughly 10 times the firepower of my overlord fleet , and 20 times mine (as said we're still in relatively early game).

And it was not even the end, as once it started attacking both my overlord and my fleet that were clearing a traitor space station, for reason i don't know its firepower had reached 100K
Ok, that's probably a way for Stellaris to tell me : i don't want you to win this time
:D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:58:45 pm by Robsoie »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: February 11, 2023, 05:08:56 pm »

TIL that a Devouring Swarm Necrophage is so hostile to you that it wont press 100% war exhaustion peace on you.

Homeslice is letting me take the stragglers of his empire and finish pounding his well entrentched home planet into dust.  Imagine being so opposed to diplomacy you'd rather die than accept a humiliating defeat  Wait ...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: March 14, 2023, 07:15:17 pm »

The new DLC released a few hours ago.  I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the new mechanics in patch 3.7 seem pretty cool at least.  Cloaking is the new big feature in the DLC, but I probably won't use it outside of letting science ships get to anomalies I couldn't reach in hostile space.

The improvements to pre-FTL civilizations and minor artifacts are going to be nice regardless.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: March 14, 2023, 10:22:04 pm »

I'll admit that I'm wavering on buying the story pack without a discount. I've always been fond of Romulans so the cloaking device is particularly interesting to me, the pre-FTL mechanics intrigue me, and I already have some ideas for how the origins could be applied to several of the saved species I have in my games which currently make do with backstory and RP.  It's pretty rare nowadays for a Paradox DLC to hit all the right notes for me like that, and I did just get an unexpected windfall that would cover the cost. 

But, whether I do or don't, I'll likely give it a bit of time for at least a few of the mods I use to update.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #9367 on: April 25, 2023, 10:16:38 am »

Galactic Paragons DLC announced.

Stellaris, your Crusader Kings is showing.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 10:22:27 am by MorleyDev »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: April 25, 2023, 10:31:58 am »

I was very surprised by the DLC announcement, but I really like the idea of fleshing out leaders some.  It really needs it, but not as much as a full internal politics rework, that the devs already confirmed this wasn't.

Still very cool, and the other QoL improvements in 3.8 look very nice.  Co-op doesn't matter to me, but I'm still really looking forward to the next patch.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #9369 on: April 27, 2023, 07:23:21 am »

Apparently the Leader Council will be a vanilla feature rather than a part of the DLC, which I suspect means they're designing in a way that is thinking about a future faction/internal politics rework. Factions are tied to Leaders, so not being able to integrate that fully with your Council because it's optional DLC would be a huge blocker to the potential of such a rework.

After all,
Factions should want their Leader in your council.
A Leader in your council should influence your empires citizens ethics.
Those ethics increase the size of a faction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: April 27, 2023, 09:25:52 am »

It does seem like they're working their way toward internal politics, which is a good thing.  Factions are something I routinely forget even exist in the game, which is a shame.

Overall I really like the changes in today's dev diary though.  Leaders will feel much more important and personal, so I might actually care when one dies now.  Part of me wishes that they'd taken things even further with consolidating them though and removed admirals, generals and scientists assigned to individual fleets and armies.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: April 30, 2023, 01:13:07 pm »

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing wrong, but I'm doing *something* wrong since I came back after a 7 month break.

I can't keep up with the AI. By the 2220s they've got two full fleets and a technological edge over me while I'm having to drag myself up to that level. They're able to keep spewing out starbases non-stop while I'm sat waiting for ages for the influence for it. Every empire that spawns adjacent to me hates my guts from the word go. I can't win wars against them because even if I win a battle they'll just come back with a full fleet near-instantly.

I'm only playing on Captain with midgame scaling, I'm seriously fucking lost here.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: April 30, 2023, 01:27:43 pm »

I'm not sure what's going on either since I usually play on captain difficulty too, because the AI is a lot better at its economy now.  The AI does usually outpace me with its military since I play pacifists and focus on economic techs early on, but not so much that I can't build bastions that deter attacking.

Are you getting advanced start neighbors, maybe?  Try turning advanced starts or advanced neighbors off if you haven't.

Also, are you using any mods?  What kind of empire are you running, and what is your economy and build like when you meet your first neighbors that overpower you?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: April 30, 2023, 03:05:03 pm »

I havent played any of the new DLC, but I'm all about my alloy economy.

First get minerals up, then get alloys up.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: April 30, 2023, 06:08:17 pm »

Well, it looks to be genuine, honest-to-God cheating. That or the "minor" bonuses on Captain are actually enormous.

I switched to the AI empire next door who, despite being significantly smaller and less populated than me, apparently have a far, FAR better economy, being able to pump out 40k of ships when I have 20K at best.

Their economy is a bit less powerful than mine. Better energy and consumer goods income (Don't know why, those always suffer under me no matter how much I focus on them), worse alloys, worse research, worse unity, worse everything else basically. Still able to pump out shitloads of massive fleets.

So, since the AI's inclined towards apparently magicking up fleets, I've decided to splat them so I can actually fucking play a game for once.

EDIT: A deleted fleet decided to respawn.

I'm playing with UI mods and literally nothing else. Nothing that should be doing this. They aren't mercenary fleets, I checked, they just went from no fleets to having a 14k fleet within about three months.

I'm actually confused (And pissed off), I have no fucking clue what the game's doing with them. AFAIK there shouldn't be any "If empire has fewer than X fleets, spawn a fleet" without them being either an FE or a crisis, and yet here it is. The AI just summoning them from nowhere.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 06:26:22 pm by Great Order »
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 632