Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1667979 times)

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #990 on: March 16, 2016, 07:23:19 pm »

The game looks great. Better than any other 4X game of recent years, anyway. Can't wait for the preorders to open.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 16, 2016, 07:48:07 pm »

Quill18 does horrible things to good Let's Plays. Sometimes his opening decisions are face-palm stupid, or he gets arbitrarily dis-cogniscant for no reason (fair enough, he plays many of them over many sessions, so there is some excuse for that one). Still good to watch though. I hope he has another BSG board game night soon. Pick Louis! He's the best cyclon/anti-cyclon player there is. The "Louey Backdoor Special" is a wonder to behold.

I'll probably youTube that Games Day vid later, for them's that don't just d/l it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:58:43 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 16, 2016, 11:14:06 pm »

Facecams should be small and discrete.

As opposed to continuous?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 16, 2016, 11:26:22 pm »

Facecams should be small and discrete.

As opposed to continuous?
He means as opposed to obtrusive. Discrete is one of those words with more than one meaning, so if you used a translating software to try to find out the meaning in your first language, it will probably give you the wrong one.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 17, 2016, 01:10:08 am »

Discrete is one of those words with more than one meaning
Nope, the word is actually discreet
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 17, 2016, 09:10:06 am »

Ah, butt it was plane watt was meant; no won is parfait, but inn my ayes, it seams the too words their are natural compliments. 
((But in seriousness, the erroneous conflation of discrete and discreet is one of the things that actually bugs me a little. ^_^))
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:13:23 am by Culise »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 17, 2016, 09:13:21 am »

... Holy crap, I've always had it wrong :o
Good thing I rarely wrote the word outside of math classes...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 17, 2016, 09:16:27 am »

... Holy crap, I've always had it wrong :o
Good thing I rarely wrote the word outside of math classes...

Then nope, you had it right.

"Discrete" as opposed to "continuous" is the word you're gonna likely use in a math class.
"Discreet" as opposed to "obtrusive/obvious" is a word you'd use to describe a spy.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 17, 2016, 09:31:52 am »

No no, I did mean discrete, not discreet. How dare he provide continuous footage. It totally wasn't because discrete and discreet translate to discrete. No sir.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 17, 2016, 01:52:22 pm »

Well damn. That's the first time I've been wrong in years.

Ah, butt it was plane watt was meant; no won is parfait, but inn my ayes, it seams the too words their are natural compliments.
"Parfait" is totally pronounced differently from "perfect" and "what" is usually pronounced with the vowel substantially lower in the mouth, closer to the u in "butt" than the a in "taco"*. Aside from "won" and (in some dialects) "plane" the rest of those mistakes differ in tone, emphasis, or phoneme length. Close enough to  be well within the bounds of what someone would understand, but not mistakes that a native speaker would make accidentally. Discreet and discrete are identical words in everything except how Webster and friends decided to standardize the spelling.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 17, 2016, 02:40:51 pm »

"Parfait" is totally pronounced differently from "perfect" and "what" is usually pronounced with the vowel substantially lower in the mouth, closer to the u in "butt" than the a in "taco"*. Aside from "won" and (in some dialects) "plane" the rest of those mistakes differ in tone, emphasis, or phoneme length. Close enough to  be well within the bounds of what someone would understand, but not mistakes that a native speaker would make accidentally. Discreet and discrete are identical words in everything except how Webster and friends decided to standardize the spelling.
You're no fun. :P

At any rate, if you're critiquing my joke in earnest, your choices of quibbles seem a bit odd to me.  I'd consider "butt/but", "plane/plain", "won/one", "inn/in", "ayes/eyes", "seams/seems", "too/two", "their/there", and "compliments/complements" to all be phonetically identical to within a margin of error, and I'd consider "too", "their", and especially "compliments" to be very, very common mistakes made by native speakers.  On the flip side, I wouldn't consider "won/one" to be a common mistake made by a native speaker at all.  I also wouldn't consider "discreet" and "discrete" to be identical at all, especially if one considers "compliment" and "complement" to be highly distinct.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:43:15 pm by Culise »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 17, 2016, 02:45:49 pm »

Now I want to see a species of Space Grammar Nazis. I figure their traits would be Xenophobic, Militaristic and Anal. 

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 17, 2016, 05:06:44 pm »

Or perhaps the opposite. A very outgoing and diplomatic species, that screws over each and every race on the exact wording and minutiae of agreements and alliances.

"No, it plainly says here that it shall be a temporary alliance of a given value to us, not a secretive one. We felt the mathematical term was most appropriate in interspecies dialogues."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:10:30 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 17, 2016, 05:11:39 pm »

...You want a species of lawyers?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 17, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »

Not really. I can see my first playthrough or two being more of a race of judges. Judge Dredds.

"I Am The LAW!"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:05:01 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 632